Alex Ovechkin Called Out For Quitting On A Play

from Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider,

Alex Ovechkin has received criticism for his absentee defensive play throughout his nine-year NHL career and in the third period of a blowout loss against the Dallas Stars Tuesday night he offered more fuel for his detractors.

At the midway point of the period, Stars veteran Ray Whitney chipped the puck through the neutral zone up to Alex Chiasson, who raced into the Washington end. As the play moved toward the Washington net, though, Ovechkin glided near the offensive blueline, slowly moving up toward the red line and then completely missed Whitney as he cut in front of him to drive down the slot.

It wasn’t until Whitney passed him that Ovechkin took a full stride, even then it was only two steps before he coasted again.

continued with quotes from Oates and video of the goal or watch the video, with evidence, below...

Watch the replay of the goal, keep an eye on Ovechkin at the top of the screen.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Dallas Stars, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin

Comments

Its All Hockey's avatar

That’s just sad to watch…but not shocked to be honest.

Posted by Its All Hockey on 04/02/14 at 02:08 PM ET

I’m not sure what they are complaining about here to be honest.
I understand Ovi’s laziness, I see it. But at the same time, that is the culture that they’ve created in that club. Ovi is allowed to do what he wants as long as he scores goals, which he does.
Another problem, is his shifts, he is allowed to stay on the ice for a long time.
I don’t know if my rant makes any sense, but I would blame management/coaching of that club just as much as Ovi himself.

Posted by George0211 on 04/02/14 at 02:16 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Lazy is as lazy does.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/02/14 at 02:25 PM ET

He has the worst +/- in the league for a reason

Posted by neffernin on 04/02/14 at 02:37 PM ET

SK77's avatar

I wonder which poor SOB gets to coach the Capitals next ...

Posted by SK77 on 04/02/14 at 02:42 PM ET

Also, does anyone else think it is odd that Ray Liotta is coaching the caps?

Posted by neffernin on 04/02/14 at 02:46 PM ET

aerodude's avatar

If I recall correctly that was in the playoffs too…

Posted by aerodude on 04/02/14 at 06:00 PM ET

This may be the Wing fan in me, but could you fathom having this *#$%@& on the Wings? Sure he puts up a lot of goals, but how many has he been responsible for over the course of his career? Besides the obvious fact that Babs would eat him alive, I’d have to expect the elders on the team wouldn’t tolerate it.

Posted by weswolverine on 04/02/14 at 06:04 PM ET

Posted by aerodude on 04/02/14 at 07:00 PM ET

That’s an awesome graphic and very sad to watch.

Posted by neffernin on 04/02/14 at 06:13 PM ET

Can’t be a coaching problem, because Ovechkin had Boudreau coaching him for almost 5 years and Boudreau’s an Adams award winning coach.  tongue rolleye

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 04/02/14 at 06:14 PM ET