Agreeing With Ed Snider

from Adrian Dater of the Denver Post,

Snider is right, though. It's a raw deal for the NHL, the league that pays all of these players to go off for nearly a three-week joy ride.

"Joy ride," you say? Pretty much, I say.

Some players strenuously object to the characterization that they look at the Olympic break as mostly a paid vacation, a "Great if we win," "Oh, well, we tried" exercise.

But that's what I believe. Players are getting paid by their NHL teams to go over to Sochi and compete for a medal in the Olympics. If they get it, great! If not? They come back to their teams with their money still guaranteed, while NHL owners take zero from the profits of the Games, and take all the risk if one of their top players gets hurt.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, Non-NHL Hockey, International Hockey, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

RockWestfall711's avatar

Good for Snider.  Totally right.  I hope this is the last one EVER!

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 02/09/14 at 10:15 AM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m not a huge fan of the Olympics or the interruption in the season it causes. I’m also torn between the liability it places on teams mid season, the understanding that players want to play, and the idea that the Olympics in theory is the best of the best. I understand the difficulties it places on the NHL, but the above quoted portion is asinine.

I know the Olympics and national pride isn’t a huge thing to most people in the US, but around the world, it’s pretty durn strong. And you cant tell me that every single athlete participating doesn’t want to win gold with every fiber of his being, regardless of it being an “unpaid”  tournament.

Money isn’t everything to everyone, nor does the desire to participate have anything to do with the NHL or its owners. Shockingly enough, the world does not revolve around the league.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/09/14 at 11:53 AM ET

maltby18's avatar

Nothing like writing with the blinders on Dater.  The Olympics drew 32 million viewers just in the US.  On a friday night.  The profile of the entire game gets a lift and a chance to draw in new fans.  Fans that possibly wind up spending MONEY on tickets, concessions, sweaters, hats, etc, etc.

Its every four years.  Just like elections.  Deal with it.

Posted by maltby18 on 02/09/14 at 12:29 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I enjoy Olympic hockey more than the NHL.

Think about that and give me the reason why I do…

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/09/14 at 02:27 PM ET

w2j2's avatar

The situation is best for NHL players who do NOT go to the Olympics….they get 3 weeks paid vacation.
cool smile

Posted by w2j2 on 02/09/14 at 02:44 PM ET

PuckStopsHere's avatar

The players get paid the same amount for a season of 82 games regardless of if there is an Olympic break or not.  The idea this is a paid vacation is misinformation.  Players are paid the same break or not.

Posted by PuckStopsHere on 02/09/14 at 02:48 PM ET

calquake's avatar

“For cutthroat businessmen like Snider, that’s not a good deal”.  Yeah because we should all bow down to the cutthroat businessmen like Snider.  They know what’s right and wrong… for all of us.

Posted by calquake on 02/09/14 at 04:50 PM ET

RockWestfall711's avatar

I’d rather listen to cut throat businessmen like Snider that actually create things that people actually want, as well as create jobs, than have my life run by sniveling insufferable government drones.

As for Olympic Hockey, it is great, but I much prefer concentrating on growth of the NHL and protecting franchises, players, and fans who pay the freight.

Posted by RockWestfall711 from Las Vegas on 02/09/14 at 06:34 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And I’d rather people be given choice, each individual deciding what is best for themselves.  The only insufferable sniveling I hear is from self entitled people who want they want and everybody else be damned.

Posted by calquake on 02/09/14 at 08:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Boo hoo Ed Snider, next time lock your sport out longer to get an agreement to ignore the Olympics put into the CBA.

...and watch the KHL break their memorandum of understanding with the IIHF’s blessing.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/10/14 at 10:00 AM ET