Afternoon Line

“I reached out to David Morehouse and the Penguins about the comments I made yesterday on Philadelphia radio. In hindsight, I realize what I said was inappropriate and wrong, and I want to apologize to the Penguins organization and their fans.”

-Mike Milbury.  Read more at Puck Daddy.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+milbury

Comments

Evilpens's avatar

took Moron Mike a whole day to realize he was/is a ASSHAT?

He was ordered to apologize

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 03:04 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

At least Cherry sticks to his guns.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/03/12 at 03:13 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Cherry’s senile too

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 03:18 PM ET

Matt Fry's avatar

I don’t have a problem with him saying anything like that.  It’s a free country.  But he’s still an idiot for saying it.

Posted by Matt Fry from Winnipeg on 04/03/12 at 03:20 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Sell out.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 04/03/12 at 03:23 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

I just hate all the “I’m sorry I said that. I should have worded thing differently, blah, blah, blah” in sports these days. No, you meant what you said, with a little pandering to the Philly listening audience with a soundbite, so stick by your guns. Same goes for all the other apologizers out there. It’s why, while I don’t necessarily like them as a player, like the attitude of guys like Harrison and Suh who say what they believe and stick to their guns.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/03/12 at 03:24 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Boy, I sure hope there’s a way to drag this non-issue out for another three days.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 03:26 PM ET

I agree with philyd…whether or not you agree or disagree with Mike’s comments or whether you think it’s stupid or not, I value the right to speak your mind. He should not apologize for saying what he thinks…I personally don’t want politicians as my sports broadcasters. I said the same thing with D.Cherry, if you don’t like what he says… either you agree to disagree or change the channel

Posted by Nat from MTL on 04/03/12 at 03:31 PM ET

He was ordered to apologize

OMG REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?

Posted by Garth on 04/03/12 at 03:48 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

The only difference between Mike Milbury and Floyd Mayweather Jr comments are…..ummm…. ahhh….hmm. I got nothing.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/03/12 at 03:59 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

He was ordered to apologize

OMG REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?

That’s what happens when you dis a brand, I guess.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/03/12 at 04:00 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I’m sure the brass at both the Crosby Hockey League and Nothin’ But Crosby Sports Network had their hand in this.

Probably something along the lines of. “You don’t talk bad about our baby like that or you’re going to be fired.”

He’s an asshat for sure.  Especially now that he apologized for saying what everyone outside of the Penguins universe has always known about Crosby.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/03/12 at 04:03 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I don’t think he said anything he needed to apologize for, except for the misogynistic crap.  If NBC made him apologize beyond that scope, thats just hilarious, and pathetic.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/03/12 at 04:05 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

If NBC told him to apologize, he should’ve taken a page from Sammy’s response to Sweden 2 years ago.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/03/12 at 04:13 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Mike you are pure Bruin, you kid-beating caveman. FFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH - Q.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 04/03/12 at 04:22 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Don’t think Ray Shero accepted Moron Mike’s “Apology” LOL  sick

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 04:46 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I saw that EP and I think the story came out before Milbury said sorry.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/03/12 at 04:48 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 02:46 PM ET

Wow, Shero comparing Crosby to Forsberg? That’s laughable.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 04/03/12 at 04:52 PM ET

It’s a shame he was forced to apologize for basically stating the truth. Crosby takes shots at guys all the time and dives better than anyone in the entire NHL.

Posted by Realmk from Boston on 04/03/12 at 04:53 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

dives better than anyone in the entire NHL

I don’t know about that….he’s good, but he is no Setoguchi or Thornton

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 04/03/12 at 04:58 PM ET

i think the NHL had something to do this. I notice alot of phantoms calls going in Pens favor in games lately plus they master obstruction in offensive zone that refs refuse to call.

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/03/12 at 05:07 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

FlyersFan You know crack is really bad for you & I think Jesse Ventura is right up your alley

Posted by Evilpens on 04/03/12 at 05:51 PM ET

Millbury has been a moron for a number of years.  Let him say what he wants about Crosby (everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but don’t make fun of his history with concussions.  From Lindros to Savard to many others who have had their careers shortened by Concussions/Post-Concussion Syndrome it is not a joke.  Concussions are medically proven to increase your risk for Dementia at an earlier age as well as other neurologic impairments.  Millbury should be fined for his comments about concussions but not for his opinion on Crosby.

Posted by Justin from PA on 04/03/12 at 06:08 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Penguins got butt hurt, so Gary demanded an apology.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/03/12 at 06:12 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by FlyersFan on 04/03/12 at 03:07 PM ET

They learned from the best in June, ‘08. Michelle Therien cried several times about it.  smile

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/03/12 at 06:42 PM ET

What a surprise…..Wings fans using this opportunity to say nasty things about Crosby. Hey, I don’t care if you have an opinion. It’s a free country. Milbury is an ass, but I will fight for his right to be an ass. What bothers me is that I can just see the (granted, not all) Wings fan just salivating when they see a Penguins article even remotely mentioning Crosby so they can que their nasty comments. Don’t you have something better to do with your time?

OK .....now it’s time to que up the comments about the Pens fan who had the gall to even questions the motives of all those holier-than-thou Wings fans…...10…9…8…7…6…5..4…3…2..1…..

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/03/12 at 07:37 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

And NOW it’s time to queue up the comments by whining Pens fans who want to be able to talk shit on people while trying to manipulate the responses to their whining by setting up a false premise to a valid response in 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…

Come on, man. You were good to go. No need for the martyr complex.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 08:12 PM ET

JJ….OK, I shouldn’t have gone the martry route. That’s fair. I just expected to be shot down immediately, and thought I would be proactive with my response. I guess I would just like to see one of the KK blog posts that relates to the Pens be at least Crosby-hate free for once. I just hate the posts that say…“Well of course Crosby is a crybaby, blah blah blah”  I just hate the condescending attitude.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/03/12 at 08:51 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Fair enough.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/03/12 at 08:59 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

... I just expected to be shot down immediately
Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/03/12 at 06:51 PM ET

Come, be a Wings fan! Then you don’t expect such nonsense. smile

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/03/12 at 09:00 PM ET

Posted by phillyd from New Jersey on 04/03/12 at 02:52 PM ET

It’s a pretty valid comparison with the way both players played as well as the perceived diving/whining of the two.  They both played similar styles as well.

As far as Milbury goes, he’s an ass clown.  I imagine the anger is more over the concussion thing than anything else.  Milbury also basically said Sunday that the new and improved Matt Cooke is less valuable than the old Matt Cooke, which is ridiculous.  He’s had an ax to grind with the Pens for a long time, so whatever.  It’s all just noise.  The Pens, I hope, are focused on the next 3 games and beyond, because they need a wake up call if they are going to do anything in the playoffs other than get swept.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/03/12 at 09:16 PM ET

SandysWingingit's avatar

I’ll bet that apology really, seriously, sincerely came from the heart, eh Mike?  rolleyes

Posted by SandysWingingit on 04/03/12 at 10:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/03/12 at 06:51 PM ET

Thats two threads where you’ve committed the same misdeed you have accused Wings fans of doing.  If you want to call us a bunch of envious whiners, call us envious whiners, you’re probably more than a little correct on that score.  Just don’t talk down at us like you are on higher moral footing.  If there is a high road in this discussion it is probably one that is impassable for hockey fans.  There is nothing significantly different about “Wings fans complaining about Crosby” and “Pens fans complaining about Wings fans complaining about Crosby” outside of you circling the all bitching and moaning back upon itself.

So…. c’mon dude.

I really don’t mean to sound like I am antagonizing you.  I have no doubt that Pens fans are tired of swatting off the Crosby haters, and I can understand the fatigue that must come with that.  I for one am kind of tired of the vitriol that is still directed at Todd Bertuzzi (but thats a bone to be picked another day), just for comparison.  For what its worth, I do try to balance my distaste of Sid with a degree of fair mindedness (no matter what a certain person here says).  However, once I’ve struck that balance to my satisfaction, I’m still going to have an opinion.  And I’m going to go on to giving it.  That sounds fair enough to me.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 01:55 AM ET

bezukov: FIrst, never called Wings fans envious. That’s ridiculous. They have no reason to be envious. You are very wrongly confusing me with evil pens who I would like to see kicked off this site. Second, you have every right to have an opinion. I appreciate that in a person, and the more fervent in your devotion to your team, the better. My gripe is that I don’t get to come on to KK very often because I’ve got a lot going on, but I do like to read about my Pens and about hockey in general. But I always seem to hear the same old crap about Crosby almost always from Wings fans every time I’m here. So from my vantage point, it seems like an obsession, not jealousy or because the fan has an opinion. I don’t want to beat this to death, but from an outsider, the Crosby hate seems really petty. He could cure cancer and you’d all still hate him.

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/04/12 at 02:13 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by VAHockeyFan on 04/04/12 at 12:13 AM ET

Ok, maybe envy was the wrong word.  Maybe blind hatred fits better.  I dunno.  That isn’t really important.

My real point is that there is something silly about complaining about people complaining (now I’m complaining about people complaining about people complaining).  And so it goes on ad absurdum.

I am really loathe to take the “you scrolled down” tack with you, because I think its usually a lame tactic.  However, I think this time the shoe fits.  When you make a comment like that, you’re just playing a different variation of the same tune.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/12 at 02:48 AM ET