Afternoon Line

“I don’t know why you try to correct what’s working. The hits are always part of the game.

I had a twitter account a few years ago and you look at guys going over to Iraq and Afghanistan and they’re doing it for their country and they’re not getting compensated near as much as we are so why do we have to take less risks than them? That’s part of the sport. We get paid huge money to do it and most of the time you get paid big money it comes with a lot of risks involved and we’re compensated.

We know that risk when we step on the ice so you go along with it, so everybody just shut up! These guys are going overseas spending nine months away from their wives and kids and risk their lives and do it for x amount of dollars, and we’re going to sit here and cry because one guy’s making $5 million and he’s out with a concussion then shame on us,”.

-Krys Barch of the Florida Panthers on the on-going discussion on how to prevent concussions, etc.  More on the Panthers from Harvey Fialkov of the Sun Sentinel.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Florida Panthers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: krys+barch

Comments

topshelf14's avatar

Amen.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/12/12 at 06:25 PM ET

War is 100% different from sport. We pay athletes for our amusement, not to uphold our principles and defend security interests. We consider it necessary for our welfare (and sometimes our very survival) as citizens to put our friends and family in danger—-to kill and be killed, or have their lives horribly altered. Sport is nothing more than idle entertainment. I don’t want people injured for my amusement. I’d rather not support that cause with my money, and people are right to be concerned for their fellow citizens.

We have laws to make workplaces safer because we believe that even if economic value may be gained from dangerous work it may harm society. Consider that many, many, many players do not reach the NHL and make $5m. The damage they sustain may be felt by the wider community in health costs, lost productivity, and lost quality of life.

I do not mean to be overly serious or melodramatic. There is an argument to be made for personal liberties and I respect that. I have a huge problem with equating soldiers in the theater of war and athletes in the field of play.

Posted by Dave on 03/12/12 at 08:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Dave on 03/12/12 at 07:43 PM ET

I agree.

In a way, I also agree with Barch in that I want players to make sure that they’re in the lead as far as what kind of safety precautions we’ve got working for the league.

I just really dislike the concept of comparing hockey players to soldiers and using their levels of pay to decide whether I’m going to feel badly for one or the other getting injured.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/12/12 at 08:54 PM ET

Lol, someone is trying to make Coaches Corner…

Posted by Bro V Wade19 on 03/12/12 at 09:51 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

Well said Dave.
And really, does anyone expect Krys Barch to say anything different. He’s been in 46 games and has scored a whopping 4 points and 107 PIMs.
Gee, I wonder why he wants things to stay the way they are.

Barch couldn’t care less about the puck. He’s there for two things; staged fights and obliterate anyone who has the puck.

I don’t pay to watch Barch ply his trade. I pay to watch the stars do what 99.99999% of the population can’t.

And like Dave said, sports is for entertainment. To compare war with entertainment is both glib and incredibly irresponsible.
But hey, scrubs and plumbers will say and do anything to keep making a very nice paycheck to contribute almost nothing to the game and certainly nothing towards the entertainment value of one.

Posted by Hank1974 on 03/12/12 at 10:54 PM ET