Afternoon Line

“Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs—given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see—the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 - 10ths of a second before the delay—this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes That is not an opinion—that is science—amazing devise quite frankly.”

-Dean Lombardi, GM for the LA Kings on the clock issue last night.  More from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.

added 2:17pm,

So it’s a can of worms for the NHL and even if an anonymous off-ice official loses his job over it, it won’t change the final result, which is that the Kings are credited with a point in a game which they may or may not have earned.

And if the Western Conference playoff race goes down to the wire the way it did last season, and somebody misses out by a point, the events of Feb. 1 in L.A. will not be easy for some close-but-no-cigar also-ran to swallow.

Or to forget.

-Eric Duhatschek of the Globe and Mail where you can read more on this topic.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Los Angeles Kings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dean+lombardi

Comments

Stevis's avatar

The coulomb is the SI unit of electrical charge.  That’s sort of like saying your bathroom scale measures pounds…not really correct.  It measures your lard-butt, in units of pounds.  Presumably, his clock measures the passages of electric charges in units of coulombs.

In other words, don’t break out your engineer’s explanation if you don’t know WTF you’re talking about and expect us to believe it.

Posted by Stevis on 02/02/12 at 05:09 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

That’s why this is the first time anyone has ever noticed something like this happening in the 20 years since the adoption of these kinds of clocks.

Yeah, this totally sounds legit, Professor Lombardi.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 02/02/12 at 05:12 PM ET

He could have saved a lot of time just blaming Mike Murphy.

Posted by tj77 from usa on 02/02/12 at 05:20 PM ET

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you, Lombardi.

Should’ve just shrugged and kept your stupid mouth shut when you were asked about it.

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 05:36 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So Dean Lombardi has been going to the Pronger Skool of Fizzix now too?

What the… he DOES realize the smarter he tries to sound, the dumber he ACTUALLY sounds, right?

Posted by Primis on 02/02/12 at 05:45 PM ET

As an engineer: if this was not a tongue-in-cheek response, then it was an extremely stupid and inaccurate response.

Posted by GregAnnapolis on 02/02/12 at 05:46 PM ET

awould's avatar

Reminds me of the scene in Strange Brew when the brewery owner was asked to explain the time code stamp on their video surveillance….

“Just because I don’t know what it is doesn’t mean I’m lying.”

Posted by awould on 02/02/12 at 05:53 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

That is not an opinion—that is science

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 02/02/12 at 05:55 PM ET

WingMan's avatar

You guys have seriously never seen this before?  A lot of rinks have those types of clocks… I have noticed it many times.  Almost like the visual part of the clock cannot keep up with the internal part doing the count.  I think it is a non-issue.  I know LA does it, and I have seen it in a couple other places I think… Denver, Dallas, and may one of the FLA teams….

Posted by WingMan from The Q C on 02/02/12 at 06:09 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

How do you paste pictures in like that?  I’ve got one of Kronwall 3 feet in the air butt-planting on Kesler’s head and I would love to share it today.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 06:10 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

“hahaha” Help me troll, please!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/12 at 06:21 PM ET

@Stevis - Untrue.

An amp is defined as 1 c per second, so you can run a consistent 1 amp charge and count coulombs to get a time measurement.

Kind of like driving a car at a consistent speed and counting tire rotations.

Posted by Ben from Buffalo, NY on 02/02/12 at 06:24 PM ET

awould's avatar

tuxedoTshirt

Posted by awould on 02/02/12 at 06:25 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Well it’s relevant today J.J. - and it is an actual photo, not just an allegation.  It has been said that he hits cleanly, and the picture is proof that he left his feet.  Whatever.  Just getting pumped for the game.  No hate here man.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 06:27 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Oh c’mon man.  Please.  I’ll behave.  The photo isn’t even on this computer; it’s at home and I’ll post it with the header “KRONWALLED!”

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 06:29 PM ET

awould's avatar

This is all that matters from that game.

cheap_goal

Posted by awould on 02/02/12 at 06:30 PM ET

Seems like a precision and accuracy problem to me. Do not tell me how precise the time stamper is if you cannot tell me when the time was actually stamped. I may have the world’s most accurate clock, but if I wait some undefined amount of time to tell you what it said, it won’t help you too much.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 02/02/12 at 06:31 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

I agree.  This isn’t about the clock, but the timekeeper, and anyone else who noticed an irregularity and said nothing.

Oh no awould, Zetter pushed him.  Oh wait, that doesn’t sound right.  Seriously, Hansen torpedoed him and it should have been 2 minutes and no goal.

Now help a guy out man; or find the “Kronwalled!” photo.  Please.  I am a computer moron (and a few other types eh Garth?).

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 06:37 PM ET

(and a few other types eh Garth?)

Only because you’re a Canucks fan, really.

Posted by Garth on 02/02/12 at 06:40 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

So you have anecdotal evidence you want to throw into the fray and stir the pot?

We all saw the hit you’re talking about. Most of us agreed that he leapt into that hit.  I’m not going to help you with this.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/12 at 06:49 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

stir the pot?
Only in good fun man.  It’s a photo, not an anecdote.  And I know you guys agreed about it.  I also called myself out for over-reacting.  Really not being mean-spirited here.  But I understand your reluctance.

Only because you’re a Canucks fan, really.

That’s what meant.  [narrows eyes]

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 06:54 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

The Strange Brew scene = SPOT ON!

I love that there are engineers here audibly rolling their eyes at this.

Someone tell Lombardi he is out of his element.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/02/12 at 07:17 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Pic is unrelated - trolling our good friend TuxedoTshirt

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 02/02/12 at 07:19 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Are you a member with more priviledges or am I just a noob?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 07:26 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I don’t even see what the big deal is here.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/12 at 07:29 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Oh god.  This is hilarious.  Paul is gonna tell me and then I’m gonna go nuts on you guys.  LOL.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 07:31 PM ET

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 07:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Oh no!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/12 at 07:38 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Now the Michigan boy’s fair game?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 07:44 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

There are surprisingly few photoshops out there making fun of Ryan Kesler.  Plenty of good Sedin-related humor though…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/02/12 at 07:48 PM ET

tux, Kesler HATES anything Michigan.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 07:52 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

He lives there.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 07:53 PM ET

Kesler HATES anything Michigan sports-related.  He made no secret about it.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/02/12 at 08:05 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Well pile on then.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 02/02/12 at 08:09 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

And not a word out of the Little Midget’s mouth today…....Shocking!!!

In all sincerity, gary is the biggest, most self absorbed, narcissistic, pompous, J.A. in the world of sport, and YES I would say that to his face if I met him in person. However, I would have to crouch down about 3 ft. to look him in the eye.

It’s no wonder the NHL is a second rate joke of an organization with that guy in charge.

What’s that saying?....A fish rots from the head down…..

Your doing a heck of job brownie….errr…gary!

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/02/12 at 09:01 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

So, Dean, does this happen every game with less than 5 secs left??? Huh? well, does it/

Posted by Rdwings28 on 02/02/12 at 10:28 PM ET

I taught electrical engineering for a couple of decades and I say pure and utter hogwash.  Do NOT take any courses from Professor Lombardi.  Either the clock is defective or somebody stopped it.

In which case the visual part, the numbers, wouldn’t stop for a second which would only put them further behind the internal count.  Rather, they would have to “jump ahead.”  But this is all moot anyway as the numbers don’t move independently of the internal count.

The “once-the-game-is-over” argument is curious, too.  The game wasn’t “over” until Toronto said so.  The league has been suspiciously silent on this point.

Posted by BobTheZee on 02/02/12 at 11:09 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

Ben, I have a Ph.D. in physics.  (Not Fizzix.)  I know what a ampere is.

Yes, you can do exactly what you said.  I never disputed that, Lombardi, in fact, claimed the opposite, that somehow it varied and the display was compensating.  I was pointed out how he was using ostensibly correct terminology in ways that didn’t make sense to try to perpetrate a snow job.

Posted by Stevis on 02/03/12 at 03:16 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

So Dean Lombardi has been going to the Pronger Skool of Fizzix now too?

Posted by Primis on 02/02/12 at 02:45 PM ET

Right on… I was gonna say, “Sounds like some Pronger SY-INCE!”

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/03/12 at 12:03 PM ET