Afternoon Line

“I never reported it as a fracture to the C1 and C2.  I deliberately said it was an injury to the C1 and C2. But [Crosby’s agent] Pat Brisson confirmed it as a fracture. So did Alex Guerrero and Dr. [Robert] Bray who both saw the fractures in the MRIs.

“Just because the Penguins now say there was no fracture, why should we believe them? Why are they the most credible source? They’ve had this file in front of them for months, and the story keeps changing. Are they saying Guerrero and Dr. Bray, who’ve worked with many top athletes and teams in the past, aren’t accurate?

“Look, I’d be okay if someone could prove it one way or the other. But this idea that the Penguins and their doctors are the final word on this doesn’t stand up after all that’s happened in the past on this file.”

-Bob McCown of Sportsnet 590 on Sidney Crosby.  More from Bruce Dowbiggin of the Globe and Mail, plus other hockey releated topics…

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: sidney+crosby

Comments

Primis's avatar

I said last spring that the Pens did not have Crosby’s best interests at heart.  I said it again this offseason, and that their only concern was selling season tickets.  That’s why they keep stringing this whole thing along.  It’s all a “business decisions”.  That should surprise nobody.

Here’s what I don’t get though:

* The league doesn’t need Crosby.  It’s moved on, and it’s also moved on from Ovechkin as well.

* The Pens don’t need Crosby.  Malkin is proving he can carry the team if need be.  The Pens have not fallen apart without him.  The wondering aloud whether someone else should wear the “C” is proof positive that they’ve moved on, because otherwise that wouldn’t even come up as a legitimate question worth debating.

If the Pens don’t need him, and the league doesn’t need him… why does the media seem to desperately need him?

Posted by Primis on 02/01/12 at 04:59 PM ET

Becuase the media aren’t worried about what’s good for the NHL or for the Penguins, they’re worried about what’s going to sell papers and produce web hits.

Posted by Garth on 02/01/12 at 05:27 PM ET

The league may not NEED Crosby, but despite what people in Detroit or Washington or Philadelphia may think, he’s the best hockey player in the world, or at the very least, in the top 3. So the idea that he isn’t playing is pretty insane.

The fact that he may be done before he’s 25 is a story that deserves coverage.

Posted by Chris McMurtry from Ottawa on 02/01/12 at 06:30 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by Primis on 02/01/12 at 02:59 PM ET

You’re joking, right?  Or are you just trolling?

When he’s healthy, he’s the best hockey player in the world.  He proved it last year when there was not one player even close to matching his level for those 41 games.  Not.  Even.  Close.  At all.

Sure, the Pens might not be “falling apart” without him…but are they a serious contender right now without him?  Are you telling me that the Penguins without Sidney Crosby = Penguins with Sidney Crosby?  Because if that’s what you’re saying…that’s really dumb.  Really, really dumb.  Like…Evilpens levels of dumb.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/01/12 at 10:01 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Really, really dumb.  Like…Evilpens levels of dumb.

Unnecessarily antagonistic troll comment is unnecessary.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/01/12 at 10:09 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I kind of liked the comment…

And McCown may be a bit of a news vulture, but that doesn’t mean that he gets stuff wrong very often.

Again, here’s hoping that Crosby finally gets better and is back at it soon.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/01/12 at 10:24 PM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/01/12 at 08:09 PM ET

I only speak the truth.

I mean, do you think I’m wrong in saying that “the Penguins are fine without Crosby so who cares about Crosby” is a really, really dumb conclusion to happen upon?  If you’re taking exception to my comparison, I was only doing it because I know it’s something everyone can agree on.  smile

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/01/12 at 11:35 PM ET

Primis's avatar

The fact that he may be done before he’s 25 is a story that deserves coverage.

Posted by Chris McMurtry from Ottawa on 02/01/12 at 04:30 PM ET

That’s pure speculation though, even I know that.  I don’t think he *is* done, I think the Pens medical staff is just a bunch of incompetent morons who learned their trade from Matt Cooke or something…  I don’t think many fans believe there’s that risk.  It’s just a headline, a story to write pumped by the media, and nothing more.

You’re joking, right?  Or are you just trolling?

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Milford, CT on 02/01/12 at 08:01 PM ET

I’m not joking at all.

The Pens are still very much a contender in a weak East.  If the cards fall right, they could win a Cup.

He’s NOT that best player in the world anymore, because he’s not playing right now.  I wish people could wrap their minds aroudn that fact.  Under that assumption, then Gordie Howe or Wayne Gretzky is the greatest player right now, no?  Crosby, at the moment, is completely worthless.  I’m not troling or being mean, it is a plain and simple fact.  He does not play, nor would he even likely have any trade value until someone figures out WTF is wrong with him because he’s such a huge risk.

And I’m sorry, that his team has gone on without him is kinda’ damning to his value at the moment.  Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?

Here’s the crux of it though:  the league is in great shape talent-wise and it’s still improving. Out of the 438905480656093064 billion possible stories, I completely and utterly at this point fail to see the purpose of ANY Sidney Crosby story that does not involve the words “Returning to action after a full recovery”.  Because it’s taking the focus off the ice.

Quite frankly, the Pens without Crosby is a HUGE story, but who would ever know that?

And by the way… non-hockey fans don’t give a sh*t about Crosby, nor are they impressed.  Ask them sometime.  He is not a bridge to the game to them.  Nor could they care less about his plight, or if he ever plays again.

Posted by Primis on 02/02/12 at 12:05 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

That’s why I said, “When he’s healthy…”

It’s right there.

And if you think the Pens can contend in the “weak East” without their best player and the best player in the world when healthy…you might want to look at how they’ve faired against those “weak” teams that are ahead of them in the standings (Bruins, Rangers, Flyers).  They haven’t played very well or won very much against those teams.

If you don’t think a healthy Crosby would help them matchup better against them, you’re nuts.  Really, who would you rather have as your third line center:  Jordan Staal or Dustin Jeffrey?  Jesus…before Jeffrey came back, Richard Park was their 2nd line center.  If nothing else, Crosby matters to the Penguins.  If you can’t see that, I don’t know what to tell you.

As far as the league goes?  If they don’t want to promote other stars that’s their problem, not mine or any other Pens fans’ or Crosby’s or the Penguins’ problem.  I know he’s shoved down everyone’s throats…but that’s nobody’s decision but the league’s.  They’ve had a great opportunity with Sid being out and Ovechkin not producing at the same clip to promote some of their other stars - Stamkos, Toews, etc.  I’m not sure they’ve capitalized on that as much as they could’ve.  There are so many good, young players around the league that it’s a shame they don’t get to share more of the spotlight.  But that’s the media for you.  They grab onto whatever is hot and beat it into the ground until it can’t be beaten into the ground anymore…and then they beat it some more.

As a Pens fan, I want to know what’s going on.  Hadn’t heard a peep about him up until they lost 6 straight…then guys like Mark Madden starting stirring the pot again.  So this is what you get.  I don’t think it’s nearly as bad this time around, though.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 02/02/12 at 02:44 AM ET