Afternoon Line

“We play this great game [in which] I get into a car wreck six times a night, 82 times a year, plus playoffs, now in my 13th season at the professional level.  The rest of my teammates do, too. How many people get into a car wreck in their [entire] life? Hopefully never, but maybe once in their life?”

“[Hitting is] part of the game. We accept that, we know it can happen. It’s a physical game. We go out and play the sport knowing that, and that’s what makes it great, fast, [and] exciting. I’d just like to see us take away all the things that are in our control to not have my peers susceptible to [concussions].”

-Willie Mitchell of the Los Angeles Kings.  More from Mitchell on concussions from Gann Matsuda of Frozen Royalty.

thanks to a KK reader for the pointer

Filed in: NHL Teams, Los Angeles Kings, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: willie+mitchell

Comments

Nate A's avatar

Well put.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 12/29/11 at 03:55 PM ET

IMO, he’s saying that some players need to remove the HARD ELBOW and SHOULDER PADS.

Players using them as weapons is where the concussions are coming from.

The NHL needs to establish a standard for pads.  When was the last time a player got a separated shoulder?  15 years ago it happened 2 or 3 times per season.  Now I haven’t heard of a hockey player with a shoulder injury in a VERY long time.  What does that tell you?

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 12/29/11 at 04:31 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Wow, really really well said by Mitchell. Hopefully his peers will listen to him and he can be a leader in the NHLPA rank and file, especially when it comes to player safety.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 12/29/11 at 04:47 PM ET

Lucid, compelling, persuasive.  Well done, Willie.

Agree that I hope the league is listening.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 12/29/11 at 05:50 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

glad to see them putting the focus where it should be, hope more people start listening.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/29/11 at 06:53 PM ET

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 12/29/11 at 01:31 PM ET

I believe they call them “Upper Body Injuries” these days.

Posted by RyanVM on 12/29/11 at 07:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I thought “Upper Body Injury” meant concussion???

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 12/29/11 at 09:07 PM ET