Afternoon Line

After having watched him play another uninspired game for the Columbus Blue Jackets, I can’t help but think that a trade would be beneficial for both player and club. Let’s face it. The ship has sailed on Columbus. Their season is already over. With just under 20 games played, they are on pace for less than 15 wins for the season.

-Mike Milbury on Rich Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets.  More from Milbury on this topic at CBC.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: rick+nash

Comments

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

That’s being a little too optimistic.

Shipping Rick will screw the pooch for the seasons to come. Get rid of the fodder like Dors and Sammy and pick up the next guys on Howson’s list, hell Letestu and Nikita are working out. Shake the baby! Get results!

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 03:03 PM ET

LOL at Milbury giving advice on trades and running a team.

Posted by MTL_WINGS from Montreal on 11/18/11 at 03:07 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Awesome.  Love this post.

Now get his ass to Detroit. STAT.  Actually, get him to LA in time to play on a line with Datsyuk tomorrow.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 11/18/11 at 03:22 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Trade advice from Mike Milbury is like tax advice from Willie Nelson.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 11/18/11 at 03:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Shipping Rick will screw the pooch for the seasons to come.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 01:03 PM ET

You’re already screwed for season to come otherwise anyways.

Why do you Jackets fans not get this?  The build of your team was botched and screwed-up so badly that it’s probably going to take a full firesale and rebuild to right it.

That’s going to include getting rid of Nash, Mason, and probably Carter, since they are the 3 most-valuable assets on that team at the moment.

It’s not like you’d LOSE more games than you are now or anything…

Posted by Primis on 11/18/11 at 03:53 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

Carter hasn’t had the time to prove anything, Mason hasn’t has more than two games where he hasn’t be leaned on and Rick is failing. I’ve said before the season that Mason would be their weakest point and that has proved to be correct.

Get rid of Mason, ok. Carter? Hell no. This isn’t about individual performance. Columbus needs to get their crap together and start making actual plays, not a dish from the blue and hoping for the best.

I’ll entertain the idea of a “firesale”, who do they get for Nash, Mason and Carter?

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 04:13 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 01:03 PM ET

Nick, I just don’t get why Columbus is so stuck on Nash.  Every year that Nash’s role on the team has gotten bigger (with the exception of the anomaly that was Mason’s rookie season), the CBJ have gotten worse.  The team squeezes out a big brown one year after year under Nash’s “leadership,” and the CBJ PR machine puts sprinkles on it for the fans and you guys eat it up like its dime a dog night.  Trading Nash wouldn’t be a Gretzky to LA scenario, rather it would be a fresh start for a rotten organization.

I know every sports town has hero worship when it comes to their athletes and I get it.  I’m asking the same uncomfortable questions about certain players on a certain team I love.  So don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying anything here to be a jerk.

Here’s the thing about Nash in my mind.  In the past the Wings had people like Draper to keep the numb nuts from ruining the team, now they don’t.  You see the results.  If you don’t have that, its up to to your young star to take the reigns, and Nash has had every opportunity to take control of this team and make it his.  Unfortunately for the CBJ faithful, Columbus’s answer to Steve Yzerman he is not.  Time to cut to the cord.

I’ve always thought Nashville made a great model for Columbus to follow.  Just have a low budget, work oriented team that will get you into the post season every now and then.  The CBJ under Nash are just Atlanta under Kovie all over again.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/18/11 at 04:35 PM ET

I do believe Mr. Milbury suggests a trade of Nash for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha is a good deal for Columbus.

Posted by tj77 from USA on 11/18/11 at 04:59 PM ET

Nicholas Lorenzi's avatar

I 100% agree with you but unlike the Gretzky Columbus won’t get Stamkos or Perry for Rick Nash. The biggest bruise on the Jackets has been the C on Rick’s sweater because he doesn’t know what it entails.

I don’t worship Rick Nash but know that he is a star player and one that we drafted. Columbus hasn’t had anything like that happen and doesn’t want to let go. I can’t blame them but I have a feeling that once Howson severs the head one of two things could happen: Either the team gets invigorated and makes a mark in the league or they lose any sense of confidence and leadership that they kinda have.

I’m in the “I really don’t care what happens” frame of mind with this season. Give it 3 more games with Sanford in net. If they lose we can start burning anything I own with Rick Nash on it in your backyard. Just buy a bottle of vodka for me to drink, it’ll help the rage to spew from my mouth.

Good God please no….there’s gotta be a good reason these players have been in the AHL and KHL for the past 4 years. If that’s the deal I say no. For God’s sake get Iginla or Vanek at least.

The bottom line is that Rick has been in the top 20 and top 10 for goals scored for the past four seasons, if a trade for anyone who isn’t even near that caliber will not not go over well in Columbus. Then again the fans here are mostly oblivious as to what is going on.

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 05:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 02:13 PM ET

Picks and prospects.

I’m not talking “retooling”.  I’m talking “rebuilding”.  Big difference.  And Carter is one of the (very) few assets that can get you those worthwhile picks/prospects.

They need to probably get new management in there, some new staff, and to have 2 or 3 pretty bad years here to draft in where they have two 1st rounders, or 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, etc.  And they need to be bad enough to get some surer things in with those picks (ie high lottery picks).  And they then need to stop making boneheaded draft-day decisions and draft the obvious picks, not try to show how clever they are and draft an oddball like they have been doing.

And then carefully get guys in free agency that aren’t Now acquisitions but are Later ones, to coincide with the first couple years’ draft crops coming into their own.  Build 2 or 3 years out.

There is no coach that’s going to turn this around.  There is no one or two players.  We’re not talking just about a culture of losing, we’re talking culture of FAILURE here.  The stench of failure is all over them.  NOTHING has been accomplished since 2000.  Not a single thing.  You’ve been trying since 2000 to “retool”, tweak,  and build, and it hasn’t worked out at all.  The only other team with CBS’s rate of absolute failure just moved markets to Canada.

Just blow it up already.

Posted by Primis on 11/18/11 at 05:24 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Nicholas Lorenzi on 11/18/11 at 03:13 PM ET

You don’t win Cups (or playoff games) by winning scoring titles.

Posted by Primis on 11/18/11 at 05:26 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

or they lose any sense of confidence and leadership that they kinda have.

Nick I don’t want to be a smart ass but you can’t lose something you don’t have.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 11/18/11 at 05:43 PM ET