Afternoon Line

“We will continue to work closely with the Islanders to explore whatever options still may be available in light of what obviously is not a positive development. Our goal is for the team to remain on Long Island and we still hope that objective can be realized.”

—Gary Bettman (via Katie Strang at Newsday)

Update 4:34pm ET: If anyone has any ideas how to realize that objective, county exec Edward Mangano would like to hear from you.

Filed in: NHL Teams, New York Islanders, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: gary+bettman

Comments

You’re full of shit, Gary.Ass.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 08/02/11 at 04:58 PM ET

^^^^
This.

Posted by godblender on 08/02/11 at 05:28 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I have a goal… How about we dump Phoenix and NYI and have a 28 team league?  It would make realignment easier.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/02/11 at 05:36 PM ET

We were saying the same thing about the SNorris division 25 years ago and Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Chicago not too long ago. Be smug about tossing teams until the economy takes yours with it. The Windors Wings has a nice ring to it..

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/02/11 at 05:49 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Those aren’t just fans booing you in every rink, Gary….
They are also taxpayers..

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/02/11 at 06:03 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

hockey1919 Yep!!

But the economy is in the shitter & state & Local Govts. can’t afford to spend anymore, Damn shame that Wang has destroyed a once great franchise

Posted by Evilpens on 08/02/11 at 06:21 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/02/11 at 03:49 PM ET

That doesn’t make any sense.  You do know the state of the economy in Detroit… right?  Given that the Mets and Nicks have survived in NYC all these years, Wang & Co. must be doing things very wrong.  New York is the biggest city in the US, it can’t be that hard to put arses in seats.  As for Phoenix, they’re only located in the region of the United States that has enjoyed the most economic growth over the last ten years.  If the NYI and the Coyotes fold, economics won’t have much to do with it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/02/11 at 06:46 PM ET

So much unfair blame directed towards Bettman.  In case you people were not aware, the storied Islanders pre date GB by many years.  Their owner wants a new arena and the community said NO, but to many this means its GB’s fault…

Posted by Eric on 08/02/11 at 07:13 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Posted by Eric

The voters didn’t nix the arena, they simply said we are not paying for it.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 08/02/11 at 07:20 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Columbus isn’t a barely a breath out of that conversation bezukov.. they’re hemoraging more and more money every year.  Its lost a full third of its value since they put them here.  I don’t wanna see anyone lose their team.. but the islanders franchise looks like a circus sideshow I bet they show up to work every afternoon in a retro convertible blaring Perry Farrell

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/02/11 at 07:31 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

If I lose the jackets, I lose the opportunity to see the Wings as regularly as I do.  I’ve actually only seen the Wings ONCE EVER at home, we got the standing area, 12” of concrete and a wall to lean against.  It was the February routing by Columbus.  I’ve got to to see the Wings crushem’ time and after time here though , Cheaply.  I hope the Jackets dont lose their team or anyone else

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/02/11 at 07:47 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/02/11 at 05:31 PM ET

I know what you mean man, but…

Most of what I’m about to say is neither here nor there as regards the major conversation here but I gotta get this off my chest.  Losing the Blue Jackets would be like breaking even as far as I’m concerned.  I can’t count with both hands how many times I’ve watched the Wings skate into Nationwide and not give two s***s.  Not only are they playing a road game, its usually against a team that would be better off trying out for the Bengals.

But thats not all, since the Blue Jackets have styled themselves “rivals” of the Red Wings, which of course has nothing to do with an almost artificial connection with two amateur football teams, the CBJ come out swinging and the Wings don’t seem to care.  So if I lose that product, at least it will be fewer games a year where CenterIce will black out Ken and Mickey for that joke of a broadcast team, Rimer and Davidge.

Then there are the CBJ fans who show up to that game.  50% of the fans who show up anymore have no other stake in the game than the aforementioned college football rivalry, 25% of them still haven’t figured out what color the blue line is, and the the remaining 20% are the diehard fans/remaining ticket holders, and the remainder are the sane hockey fans.  Other than the stated remainder, these aren’t people I enjoy.  What is even more annoying about when the Wings lose here, is that the CBJ fans act like they won the Super Bowl, even though these teams play each other six times a year, and I don’t think the Jackets have ever won a season series against the Wings.  Never mind that they’re all too myopic to see that the Wings mailed it in most of the time.  In some ways was nice being in Central Ohio when nobody had an opinion about my team/hockey.

I know this all sounds like “angry little man” disease, but it all annoys the hell out of me.  Long story short, I’d rather pay the $200 it costs for a trip to Detroit to see them play a real hockey team (i.e not Columbus) once a year (with my fellow fans) than pay $200 to see the Wings half arse it three times a year in Columbus.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/02/11 at 11:57 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

As far as the rest of the conversation goes, I don’t wish for any fan base to lose their team to a point.  Nonetheless, I am going weigh that against the likelihood that the NHL would have a better concentration of talent both on and off the ice with fewer teams.  I wouldn’t even be surprised if it made more money.

As far as the CBJ (financially) go, their problem is their building lease, and even Nationwide has to see that they are going to lose money eventually if they don’t let the CBJ off the mat.  Combined with the fact that the Arena District has generated over 2 billion to the local economy over the last ten years, there is just no way that local investors are going to let the Jackets go that easy.  Too many people stand to lose at this point in time.  If ten more years go by and nothing has changed, it could be a different story to be sure.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/03/11 at 12:04 AM ET

better concentration of talent both on and off the ice with fewer teams.

That assumes there is a talent problem in the NHL. IF you have watched games lately the skill level is an all time high. Try watching games from the 70’s and 80’s, they could barely skate and the goalies were sieves.

As for the general comments about Bettman, you may want to mock him for his failings, but one thing you cannot mock him on is his desire to save markets. Regardless of your view about Phoenix he tries to save teams in their locations. Only when no one will own the team does he allow them to move. I will take that any day over the gangster Stern who runs the NBA.

Posted by timbits on 08/03/11 at 01:15 AM ET

bezukov's avatar

That assumes there is a talent problem in the NHL.

Posted by timbits on 08/02/11 at 11:15 PM ET

Well thats not what I’m trying to so say I guess.  I don’t think there is a talent problem/shortage.  I just think fewer teams would make the talent pool less diluted.  As for the 70’s and 80’s, you have to admit that there are lot more prospects these days than there were then.  And c’mon, Florida, the Islanders, Edmonton, etc are shit shows.  Now, I’m not saying those teams are the ones to go per se, but fewer teams would mean less dead weight in the NHL on the talent front.  Nor would there be much room for the Matt Cookes and Raffi Torres’ of the world.  Another residual effect would be lower player salaries, which the owners would love.  In my humble opinion, it would be a better NHL if it were a few teams lighter.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/03/11 at 01:52 AM ET

NowI’m not saying those teams are the ones to go per sebut fewer teams would mean less dead weight in the NHL on the talent front

I really don’t understand when people want less hockey and not more. More people to play, more people to love the game, more fans to experience what we experience. Restricting the game to the small few with rinks next door is short sighted and as I have said in other posts, really reflects a lack of love for the game!

Posted by timbits on 08/03/11 at 02:16 AM ET

you can’t just fold teams at will. there are legal issues to consider, contractual obligations, compensation payments for the stake holders, etc. which need to be considered.  also, since the goal of any business is to obvioulsy increase wealth, contraction would counter that.

Posted by Bob from St. Louis on 08/03/11 at 03:00 AM ET

Anyone who equates Nassau county with NYC, does not understand anything about the area and the situation the Islanders are in. PERIOD.

Wang didn’t destroy the franchise, it was the Bettman approved (Mario endorsed) fraud Spano and the Milstein/Gluckstern crew that gutted the franchise. Wang took it on when there was only a shell left. He even inherited Milbury for cying out loud and it took him too long to realize that he had an in-house disaster.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/03/11 at 01:18 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

hockey1919 HUH?? he inherited Milbury?? He then hires a Legit GM in Neil Smith & fires him because he wouldn’t let him stick his dick in the Punchbowl & Hires his backup Goalie as GM LOL

Posted by Evilpens on 08/03/11 at 02:53 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/03/11 at 11:18 AM ET

I understand that it isn’t a five minute jog over to Nassau Coliseum from NYC, but you’re still talking about the most densely populated place in the US.  If you can’t get people to the games, shame on you.

Posted by Bob from St. Louis on 08/03/11 at 01:00 AM ET

I understand that, but contracts, businesses, etc, fail all the time.  It isn’t as if it can’t be done.  I’m just stating my opinion that it would be a better league without all of these poor organizations.  If teams like Detroit and Buffalo can survive their economic climates, that exposes the owners and GM’s of failing teams as bad owners/GM’s in my mind.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/03/11 at 03:31 PM ET