Afternoon Line

“I think it’s best for our team, I think it’s best for me.  If I was 100 percent, I would love to go. But now, the situation with the injuries we have and the way it’s been going lately, I think it’s best for everyone.’’

-Henrik Zetterberg of the Detroit Red Wings talking about the NHL honoring the request that he not be selected for the ASG.  More on the Wings from Ansar Khan of Mlive.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: henrik+zetterberg

Comments

Sullyosis's avatar

We’ll see if he gets a 1 game suspension for this…

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/13/11 at 04:52 PM ET

We’ll see if he gets a 1 game suspension for this…

Posted by Sullyosis from A hateful lair in Post Apocalyptic US (or Arizona) on 01/13/11 at 01:52 PM ET

Now now.  Don’t be giving Gary.Ass any ideas.

Wait…

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 01/13/11 at 05:44 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

He should be suspended if he doesnt go, the fans pay his salary last I checked.

Yes, Red Wings fans, who don’t want him to go.

Not to mention, he wasn’t selected.  And he’s hardly alone, apparently, in asking not to be.

Posted by Stevis on 01/13/11 at 06:54 PM ET

clemshady's avatar

quote]Have any examples or players who felt the same way?
Posted by PuckHound61 from Speckville USA on 01/13/11 at 04:00 PM ET

You mean like it mentions in this article?

Doesn’t name names, but the league made this rule because players don’t want to attend.

Posted by clemshady from Greenwood, SC on 01/13/11 at 07:07 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

Here’s on source for the Shanahan confirmation of the ask-outs:

Posted by Stevis on 01/13/11 at 07:09 PM ET

Primis's avatar

He should be suspended if he doesnt go, the fans pay his salary last I checked.

Posted by PuckHound61 from Speckville USA on 01/13/11 at 03:49 PM ET

I wasn’t aware that he was paid for his ASG appearance.

Please feel free to show us his contract and back this claim up.

I wonder what the league would do about NHL member clubs that suspended players for actually going…

Posted by Primis on 01/13/11 at 07:10 PM ET

SnLO's avatar

He should be suspended if he doesnt go, the fans pay his salary last I checked.

If I’m not mistaken, the Detroit Red Wings pay his salary, not the NHL. The DRW generates the revenue in multiple ways, from fans and businesses alike. Then spends said earned revenue as deemed necessary. As a matter of fact, the DRW share part of their earnings with other clubs that “qualify” for revenue sharing. It could then be argued, in a sense, that the clubs that receive shared revenue from the DRW and send players to Gary’s.ass ASG are actually sending players that are indirectly on the DRW payroll and therefore are an indirect representative of the DRW hockey club. But that whole concept is way off topic and a discussion for another day.
Back to the point, so, your argument is like going to a hospital and demanding a MD be working the reception desk because the health insurance you purchased will be paying your medical bills.

Posted by SnLO from the sub great-white north on 01/13/11 at 07:16 PM ET

perfection's avatar

first off puckhound, you don’t know what you’re talking about. Zetterberg isn’t “tired” he’s nursing a “chronic back injury”.... big difference. in fact, until last week, he wasn’t even practicing, playing games only. you can’t expect a player suffering that bad, who’s really sacrificing himself for his team at a time when two top point scorers are injured long term, to play in an exhibition game. if the Sedin’s are hurt, they shouldn’t play either… but they’re not. Kind of like Lidstrom, the Wings most valuable player. he’s healthy and he’ll be there. as i said, your facts are wrong.

i actually called this to friends the day the ASG rosters came out.

fact is, Zetterberg is too hurt to play. he’s 70-80% at best right now. my thought at the time was that statistically he was doing far too good not to be selected and that the only explanation was that Holland quietly suggested the league not bother selecting him rather than going through the embarrassing confrontation they had before with Dats and Lidstrom both nursing injuries. Z wasn’t going to play either way. But that doesn’t mean suspending him benefits the league in any way.

the league suspended those other guys specifically so players around the league wouldn’t do this often, but the incident itself was very much an embarrassment for the league with most hockey folks vocally disagreeing with the suspensions. I’m sure it was an easy call for them not to draw a line in the sand on this one and simply respect the clubs’ wish.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 01/13/11 at 07:54 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

So basically, every player who wants a break should say to the league “I dont want to go to the all star game, so please let me out of it so I can have a few days off” ?

It amazes me how anyone can actually try and justify this.

Maybe Mike Gillis should tell the league the Sedin twins and Kesler wont be there, they need rest for the rest of the season.

Then again, they arent selfish like Zetterberg, who hopefully gets suspended for not playing… being tired is no excuse, every player is tired.

Hey idget, he’d have to be selected, then not go, in order to qualify for suspension.  He wasn’t selected to it, the reasons are erroneous and you are redolent.  Check the rules, cry baby.  Sounds like someone is skeered of the Wings come the playoffs.  Don’t get me wrong, 2 years of second round exits to the same team can do that to you, and if you had a hard time with THEM… well I can understand your fear/anger over any andeverything detroit.  But although I’m understanding, it still does appear you’re a TROLL.  You’re one of the few who made an avatar but still a Troll.  This is the only cookie I’m feeding you idget.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/13/11 at 08:15 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Zetterberg is selfish enough to want his back healthy so he can perform in the playoffs for the fans of his team.

Believe you me, we Red Wings fans are torn up about him not playing a useless exhibition and running the chance that he won’t get to play in meaningful games.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/13/11 at 08:30 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Just get rid of this useless waste of time.

No, not Puckhound, the ASG.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/13/11 at 09:40 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

So, let me get this straight, he is nursing a chronic back injury and cant play in the ASG where there is very little, if any contact, yet, he can play in regular season games?

How many points would the Wings get if he played in the ASG?

Now, how many points did the Wings get in the win last week over Vancouver because he played?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 01/13/11 at 10:08 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Why is it a good thing to force compulsory competition in a meaningless game when it brings risk that the player will miss real hockey?

I don’t understand why it’s so necessary that everybody participate.

Laugh about the risks in no-contact hockey all you want, but neither you nor I can fully appreciate what’s going on with a player who has chronic back injuries.  He said if he were healthy, he’d go.  You just want to see the Red Wings punished.  This isn’t about what’s fair to you, it’s about whatever will hurt Detroit the most.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/13/11 at 10:26 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I’m tellin’ you, allthis guy posts are crybaby posts.  Hatin’life, can’t get “real” people to talk to him, and chances are he can’t talklike this face to face with people.  Let him get his rocks off talkin’ to himself in this forum, I don’t care.  It pains me to say this because the Nucks are my second fav team in the west this year, fun to watch, butthey DID lose to Detroit a week ago with Detroit missing a leading goal scorer and leading point scorer and our best PKer/most physical d-man, with 3rd and 4th liners in our top 6… should’ve been a game for the Nucks to take advantage.  So I can see why he’s filled with Wings hate.

He’s probably a columbus fan recently off the wagon lookin’ for a new train to latch onto who are actually trending upward.  All he had to do in his bedroom was switch out all the red for green, boom, a brand new fan.

Good luck Idget

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 01/13/11 at 11:17 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Posted by PuckHound61 from Speckville USA on 01/13/11 at 04:42 PM ET

Hey genius, how can he be suspended for not playing when HE WASN’T SELECTED.  Only players who are selected to the team and don’t show up can be suspended.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 01/14/11 at 02:30 AM ET