Afternoon Line

Mike Modano via text message says Red Wings only team to call so far but said, ``if there is only one not a bad one to be.’‘

via a Pierre LeBrun tweet.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+modano

Comments

scottytooshotty's avatar

I would love to see him rock the winged wheel.

Posted by scottytooshotty on 07/02/10 at 06:44 PM ET

As a Wings fan I’m a little torn.  I love the idea of Modano wearing the winged wheel, but signing Modano means we likely lose either Eaves or Miller, and more than that we’d be signing Modano for one year and losing Eaves or Miller long-term.  It’s possible that we have to let one of them go anyways, if Ritola or one of the newer signings (such as Filppula Sr) light it up in training camp, but I’d be more OK with that knowing that we’d likely have one of the younger guys for at least a few years.  With Modano you’re likely only going to have a year.

Like I said, I’m kind of torn.

Posted by Garth on 07/02/10 at 06:47 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

I watch a lot of Stars hockey.  They’re the only games I get down here, after all, and the only barn in driving distance so let me make a few observations about Modano:

He’s far from done, physically, and his skills haven’t decayed that much offensively.  Defensively he’s great, still.
If engaged, he’s still a top 6 forward on most teams- even Detroit- but that’s the trick.  His focus has never been good and if he gets in a funk, it’s going to last and it’s probably because his head’s not in the right place.

The last two years, in Dallas, he came out of the gate strong and played extremely well when he had young talent on his wings (James Neal).  It seemed to rejuvenate him and he played extremely well.  He still has the tape to tape accuracy on his passes but there weren’t that many players in Dallas who could handle those passes.  It looked a lot like Datsyuk to Bertuzzi in that regard (though not as marked).  The ability was there on the set up guy, but the “finisher” couldn’t anticipate, handle the passes, or do the finishing.

You put Modano with some of the skilled players the Wings have and it’d be different BUT it would’ve been different in Dallas, too, had he been a second line center instead of being pigeon-holed as the #3, defensive shut-down guy.

Modano’s upside is vastly higher than Eaves or Miller.  He could easily put up 60 points in a second or third line role (in Detroit, there’s liable to be some spillover talent on the third line after all).  He’d probably end up being a third line, second PP guy, who can kill penalties and just plays smart.

Not a bad thing to have. Unlike most veterans at the end of his rope, however, his isn’t going to be the hunger that galvanizes the team during the regular season.  to the contrary, he needs a team to prop him up, motivation-wise.  I think the work ethic and commitment to excellence exhibited by the Z’s, Datsyuk’s and Lidstrom’s in the Detroit lockerroom could do that, however, where in Dallas the most talented player on the team (Ribeiro) was also the laziest, most entitled, and poorest in attitude.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 07/02/10 at 06:59 PM ET

Paul's avatar

shanetx, I am all for bringing him in.  As I have said before, he could be on the point of the 2nd PP unit.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/02/10 at 07:03 PM ET

MarkK's avatar

Not going to lie, but Modano was the reason I started watching hockey as a youngster, along with Federov and Stevie Y.  I would be perfectly fine with Modano in Detroit, to say the least.

Posted by MarkK from Maryland on 07/02/10 at 09:47 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

In my mind there are three class-act, hero-type players in my own personal history of watching the game:  Mike Modano, Joe Sakic, and Steve Yzerman.  (not in that order, necessarily).

While watching many a playoff game and actively hating on the first two (mouth breather), the landscape has changed since those days.  I’ve tracked Modano from a fantasy stats standpoint over the years, and seen a definite tailing off of his once-impressive numbers:

Year           GM   G   A   P   +/-  PIM   PPGPPA   SHPGWG   SOG S%
2005-06     78   27   50   77   23   58   12   22   1   1   4   207   .130
2006-07     59   22   21   43   9   34   9   9   0   1   7   141   .156
2007-08     82   21   36   57   -11   48   5   18   1   1   4   200   .105
2008-09     80   15   31   46   -13   46   4   14   0   0   4   197   .076
2009-10     59   14   16   30   -6   22   3   7   0   0   2   115   .122

Although his point production is down to about 0.5 points per game, his shooting percentage is still fairly respectable, and he was always more of a playmaker than a goal scorer.  He could be a very useful pivot for the 2nd or 3rd line.  What I worry about is whether he still has the wheels and the stamina to play a full season.

And, of course, if he’d be willing to play for peanuts.

According to the Freep, Kenny’s interested, “We’ve had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end.”

The belief I have is that in terms of character, he would be an amazing asset in the locker room.  In terms of skill, he would, for the right price, be more of an asset than Eaves, but I’m not sure about Miller.  Obviously there’s no future upside to consider here with Modano, and unless we’ve got some other forward ready to burst through in 2012, it would be a bit of a sacrifice in exchange for another immediate shot at the cup.  Mixed feelings, but it would be fun to watch and old pro work with our forwards.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/03/10 at 05:30 PM ET