Afternoon Line

NBC spent twenty minutes or so before the opening face-off on inane filler, including, most egregiously, the now regular segment in which three of their commentators (Pierre McGuire, Mike Milbury, and Jeremy Roenick, who may be the three most blustery figures in the game, which is presumably why NBC has them on) don their skates and ostensibly reënact a key play from the previous game. Except they don’t really mimic the original play; they shed very little light on it. It’s just an opportunity for them to make self-congratulatory, jocky wisecracks that play on their personas as (former) pros and (failed) coaches…

-Nick Paumgarten of The New Yorker where you can read more.

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: nbc

Comments

How’s this any different from the FOX NFL pregame show where they have the in-studio fake football field, and they do the same thing? I’m not a fan of either, and I’d admittedly rather listen to the personalities on that show than Pierre and Mike. It’s amazing to me that’s NBC can’t find a better duo than those two clowns.

Posted by penguinsfan on 06/09/10 at 03:50 PM ET

yreland's avatar

NBC’s coverage is fantastic.  Oh who I am I kidding?  It absolutely is keeping me from watching the finals.  Doc, Edso, Pierre, Millbury, and Roenick all S-U-C-K!

Posted by yreland from Hockey's black hole South Carolina on 06/09/10 at 03:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I think that’s exactly what they’re trying to recreate, penguinsfan.  Anything they can take from successful NFL programming is what they want to go with.

The problem is that people know exactly what they’re getting in to when they tune in an hour before game time to watch the NFL pregame.  If I tune into NBC at 7:00 to watch a hockey game, I want that game to start before 7:15.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/09/10 at 04:13 PM ET

I agree that the segment is meaningless. This could be done with a telestrator instead of seeing these clowns on skates. By putting them on skates is NBC trying to show that these are “authentic” hockey analysts because they are on ice? Did they intentionally find the three most annoying hockey personalities? Next they’ll bring in Chris Berman or some other “celebrity” anouncer that knows nothing about the sport to show how “special” the event is.

I usually time shift the game by 45 minutes and skip this garbage, but wound up watching in real-time last game to reserve the big screen rights and wondered who puts this crap on? The camera angles don’t match any of the game highlights they are “Reproducing” and the explanation means nothing without the context of all of the other players on the ice.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 06/09/10 at 04:29 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Bad recreations by ex-jocks and studio hosts have sadly become a staple of professional sports broadcasting (Baseball 2night does them too). I think the idea is that it’s supposedly more entertaining to get the boys out from behind the desk. Hey, who knows what zany thing might happen? Maybe Pierre will fall on his butt! Maybe Milbury will give JR a BC two hander! Maybe the audience will fall asleep and leave their TVs on NBC all night!

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 06/09/10 at 04:47 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Yep, just horrible production.

I never thought I’d say this, but save for the oversized, view-obstructing scoreboard, Versus has learned a lot of positive lessons about how to produce a hockey game, and NBC should take serious notes.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/09/10 at 05:39 PM ET

Moq's avatar

Thankfully, I can choose between CBC or NHL Network feed without any of the NBC shenanigans.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 06/09/10 at 08:23 PM ET