Afternoon Line

"But Ovechkin to me, there are no 60-goal scorers in the league any more,there are 40-goal scorers. He’s a 35-to-40-goal scorer, which would put him among the best goal scorers in the league, in my opinion, year after year after year. The one thing that I just don’t know about, it keeps coming back to this for me, is we often talk about players with high hockey IQs. I don’t think he’s got one. I do not think he’s got a high hockey IQ. He goes for power, he goes in straight lines, he doesn’t see around him really well, and to me, one of the great traits that Sidney Crosby has is his ability to think the game at the highest speed. And I don’t think Ovechkin’s got that.”

-Ray Ferraro of TSN.  More on Ovechkin and the Capitals from Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog at the Washington Post.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin, ray+ferraro

Comments

TheFreak's avatar

Them’s fighting words. Media is gonna have a field day with that…

Posted by TheFreak on 03/12/13 at 11:12 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Oates responds to the criticism at Capitals Insider.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/12/13 at 11:19 AM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

Isn’t Stamkos a 60 goal scorer?

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 03/12/13 at 11:33 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I too think Ferraro is spot on with his assessment of Ovechkin.  Ovi is a bull in a china shop but the problem is the china shop is closed and is now owned by matadors.  His hockey sense is nowhere at the level of a Datsyuk, Crosby, or St Louis.

And as far as the media and fans criticism of this player? A player that completely handcuffs your teams roster by signing for the maximum years and dollars and takes up too much of his teams salary cap better be worth it’s and deserves criticism when he doesn’t perform.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/12/13 at 11:41 AM ET

Ferarro’s right twice and wrong once here.

right

OV does have a low hockey-IQ for a star.

There is no benefit whatsoever to ripping the referees publicly for not having thicker skin.

wrong

“There are no 60 goal scorers, just 40 goal scorere.” Stamkos has shown over a pretty long period of time that he’s reliably good for at least 50. Makes him a bit more than a 40 goal scorer.

Posted by larry on 03/12/13 at 11:53 AM ET

I can see what you’re saying. I just don’t think it’s really fair to lump Stamkos in with Gaborik , James Neal, Carter, Marleau or whoever. There’s clearly some separation year-to-year between him and them when it comes to putting pucks in net.

Posted by larry on 03/12/13 at 12:09 PM ET

Don’t really like Sidney but this is spot on, when did you ever see Alex make another player better?

Posted by pharena on 03/12/13 at 04:27 PM ET