Afternoon Line

"But Ovechkin to me, there are no 60-goal scorers in the league any more,there are 40-goal scorers. He’s a 35-to-40-goal scorer, which would put him among the best goal scorers in the league, in my opinion, year after year after year. The one thing that I just don’t know about, it keeps coming back to this for me, is we often talk about players with high hockey IQs. I don’t think he’s got one. I do not think he’s got a high hockey IQ. He goes for power, he goes in straight lines, he doesn’t see around him really well, and to me, one of the great traits that Sidney Crosby has is his ability to think the game at the highest speed. And I don’t think Ovechkin’s got that.”

-Ray Ferraro of TSN.  More on Ovechkin and the Capitals from Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog at the Washington Post.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin, ray+ferraro

Comments

TheFreak's avatar

Them’s fighting words. Media is gonna have a field day with that…

Posted by TheFreak on 03/12/13 at 11:12 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Yeah, Media does have a hard time with truth anymore.

I think Ray Ferarro was DEAD ON.  Dead on.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/12/13 at 11:13 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Oates responds to the criticism at Capitals Insider.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 03/12/13 at 11:19 AM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

Isn’t Stamkos a 60 goal scorer?

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 03/12/13 at 11:33 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

1) A goal scorer, talking about two other goal scorers.  Objective.

2)Capitals coach, talking about his own player.  Not objective.

And Oates gripe about the commentary is exactly what I hate about the NHL.  What he wants the NHL to do is the exact opposite of what it needs to do to educate their fanbase and grow.

Let me ask you Oates, how many NFL “color commentary” guys are former players?  About 100%?  What do you think they sit and do for 4 hours during a football game?  They tell you exactly what they see as a player to help give the fan insight to why things are going the way they’re going, and if they good they can identify a problem early and call the result.  They don’t just blather on about general hockey, “this date in 1954 Bugsy Whatshisname yadda yadda”

Oates needs to man up and grow some skin

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/12/13 at 11:33 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

I too think Ferraro is spot on with his assessment of Ovechkin.  Ovi is a bull in a china shop but the problem is the china shop is closed and is now owned by matadors.  His hockey sense is nowhere at the level of a Datsyuk, Crosby, or St Louis.

And as far as the media and fans criticism of this player? A player that completely handcuffs your teams roster by signing for the maximum years and dollars and takes up too much of his teams salary cap better be worth it’s and deserves criticism when he doesn’t perform.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 03/12/13 at 11:41 AM ET

Ferarro’s right twice and wrong once here.

right

OV does have a low hockey-IQ for a star.

There is no benefit whatsoever to ripping the referees publicly for not having thicker skin.

wrong

“There are no 60 goal scorers, just 40 goal scorere.” Stamkos has shown over a pretty long period of time that he’s reliably good for at least 50. Makes him a bit more than a 40 goal scorer.

Posted by larry on 03/12/13 at 11:53 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I took Ferraro’s statement to mean 60 goal scorers as a class of goal scorer in general.  If one guy is doing it, it’s an exception.  I consider a 40 goal scorer an elite scorer as a class, not talking about 1 guy in particular.  Like Mule is a 40 goal scorer if he played like he could everynight.  I guess that could be 50, I think he’s got the shot for it but really 40 is just considered that elite class of scorer.  Kovy, Iggy, Crosby, Malkin.  I wouldn’t be surprised by a 50 goal campaign out of any of those names, but in general 40 is the benchmark for great scorers in this league, not 60 anymore.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/12/13 at 12:00 PM ET

I can see what you’re saying. I just don’t think it’s really fair to lump Stamkos in with Gaborik , James Neal, Carter, Marleau or whoever. There’s clearly some separation year-to-year between him and them when it comes to putting pucks in net.

Posted by larry on 03/12/13 at 12:09 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

preach, Stammers is a generational talent for goal scorers and definitely is above the conversations with anyone year to year.  You have Malkins and Perry’s or Iggy’s that may have a good year but Stammers is consistent.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 03/12/13 at 12:14 PM ET

Don’t really like Sidney but this is spot on, when did you ever see Alex make another player better?

Posted by pharena on 03/12/13 at 04:27 PM ET