Afternoon Line

Speaking from personal experience as a St. Louis Blues fan, the 1995-96 Red Wings broke my heart. More specifically, Steve Yzerman, Game 7, double OT. I guarantee that if you mention that phrase to any Blues fan, you will get a pained groan in response. And, of course, this is the one highlight they always show on NHL commercials: Yzerman's unreal slap shot from just inside the blue line, the puck somehow eluding Al MacInnis and Murray Baron and, most obnoxious of all, Jon Casey's shoulder. And then his euphoric (and gag-inducing) sissy-leap down the wall. Ugh.

-David Walton of ESPN when discussing the greatest NHL team of the modern era.

Let's relive that "sissy-leap" again, watch below...

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, St. Louis Blues, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: steve+yzerman

Comments

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

Mmmm, St. Louis Blues fans’ tears. So salty and warm.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 09/05/12 at 02:03 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Let the hate flow through you.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/05/12 at 02:10 PM ET

Keyser S.'s avatar

Fedorov! How you miss that perfect pass by yzerman? He buries that and we win the cup. Fact. I hate you franzen!

If I remember correctly (thru red wing glasses), we were the dominant team in that series. Were we not?

Nice to watch the old yzerman playing again.

Posted by Keyser S. on 09/05/12 at 02:17 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Really? Try being a Flyers fan and watching the clinching commercials on NHL network. They put Kane and Nystrom back to back. What, couldn’t fit McCarty’s goal in there as well? That said, I had no skin in that game 7 but I still remember where I was watching that goal and the reaction I had. One of the best moments and what the playoffs are all about.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 09/05/12 at 02:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Either that, or you’ll get a “whatever, brah. TJ OSHIE RULES WHAT WHAT!” in response.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/05/12 at 02:34 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/05/12 at 02:34 PM ET

Alternatively, you’d get “So what.  We have David BACKES. The most complete player IN. THE. GAME.”

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 09/05/12 at 03:16 PM ET

gowings's avatar

This never gets old….I get a big smile on my face and still act like I never seen that clip ..before…boy I miss #19

Posted by gowings from MTL on 09/05/12 at 03:24 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

Blues fans started lifting on game days to “feel alive” the next season.

I love the goal but it’s always tempered by what happens over the next couple weeks.  Oh well, four Cups followed it.

I love the goal more because it crushes Blues fans. Crushes them.  I dislike Dive fans but have grown to laugh at them because they’re, well, pathetic.  Blues fans are disgusting. Period.  I wish the old fucher in Breaking Bad that Gus tortured in the old folks home was a Blues fan. And I wish Gus would have wheeled a tv in to his room and put that bad boy on loop, a foot from the old bastard’s face.  Over and over and over.

Suck it, Blues fans.  Suck on Yzerman’s laser over Casey’s weak shoulder. Suck on Gretzky’s mistake.  Suck on a cup-less existence and suck on your paraplegic and Gordie Howe jokes.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 09/05/12 at 03:51 PM ET

Buck's avatar

Heh… “greatest” depends on yer perspective.  This goal by The Captain is one of my all-time FAVORITE highlight reel goals.  The rest o’ the season was full o’ heartbreak, but the following year MORE than made up for that.  grin

Posted by Buck from The High Plains of New Mexico on 09/05/12 at 03:56 PM ET

As a lifelong Blues fan, refering to this as the “sissy leap” lessens the pain…but only slightly….

Posted by smoke and mirrors on 09/05/12 at 06:17 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

followed by alot of sissy sips from the cup then too.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 09/05/12 at 09:45 PM ET