Afternoon Line

“It’ll put the sport of hockey center stage and the City of Detroit too. We all root for Detroit want to see it get through the tough times and hopefully eliminate that (negative) image it has.

“They’re a very proud people over there and we’re proud of them. Let’s get hockey, let’s get the Wings back on the ice and we’ll all be very happy about it.”

-Bob Kaser, VP of Community Relations for the Grand Rapids Griffins on the Winter Classic.  More from Lindsey Smith of Michigan Radio.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

But other than that Detroit’s freaking awesome, am I right?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

But other than that Detroit’s freaking awesome, am I right?
Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Whenever you type I kick puppies. Do you really want that on your concious?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/30/12 at 04:26 PM ET

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Because all cities should be judged by their politicians, right?

Maybe Detroit just has too many rich people for you to feel sorry for them, huh?

Posted by Garth on 10/30/12 at 04:30 PM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

But other than that Detroit’s freaking awesome, am I right?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

So all the Detroit residents, the fans in the city and the fans in the suburbs, the autoworkers (at least those who can still call themselves that), those who are as far from politics as possible…they should be lumped in with Detroit’s politicians?

I know that half of what you write is to just provide a contrary view for your own entertainment, but that’s a dick move.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 10/30/12 at 04:38 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

You cannot pass judgement on a city based on a corrupted major. I live in MTL and trust me, we have plenty of corruption here to and it does not mean MTL is a bad place. There are corrupted officials everywhere.

Posted by gowings from MTL on 10/30/12 at 04:40 PM ET

TEMO's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 04:11 PM ET

Get back under the bridge.

Posted by TEMO from LANSING, MICHIGAN, U.S.A. on 10/30/12 at 06:00 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Yet another thread where the first post is in High Definition.  Someone seems to get an awful lot of satisfaction spreading sh!t on everything on the website.  Hell, this time the comment is only borderline relevant and certainly contributes nothing.  Even EvilPens stays on topic most of the time.

And there is your epiphany of the day: There is a worse commenter here than EvilPens.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/30/12 at 06:28 PM ET

Because all cities should be judged by their politicians, right?

Yes, that’s exactly what I said, Garth.  You totally nailed it.

That post only makes sense if you had the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background while you composed it.  Then, it makes total sense.

“We all root for Detroit want to see it get through the tough times and hopefully eliminate that (negative) image it has.”

“Not really good timing, what with the former Mayor being engaged at the moment in a rather spirited defense from Federal Bribery and Extortion charges.”

On the other hand, CO, your comment was vastly intuitive, insightful, and really served to broaden the discussion of the subject, while also certainly raising your estimation in the eyes of all you read your brilliance.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 08:38 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Man, the feckin drivel spewed by this FECK would be comical if it wasn’t so damn annoying. JEEBUS!

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/30/12 at 09:21 PM ET

If only there was some technological apparatus available that could protect your tender eyes from such sights.  Man, how awesome would that be, anyway?  Pretty freaking great, I’d imagine.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/30/12 at 09:25 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Your funny is hilarious.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 10/30/12 at 09:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It would really be much more efficient if you would just stop talking.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/30/12 at 09:30 PM ET

It would really be much more efficient if you would just stop talking.

I can certainly understand why you’d want that to happen, JJ.  Really I do.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/12 at 06:29 AM ET

Yeah, because THAT’S what you said.

Wow, so in your mind, that was actually a contribution?

Do you honestly not see the enormous disconnect between the article and your response?

Article: “We all hope Detroit can eliminate that negative image Detroit has.”
HD’s response: “Yeah, but what about that negative image Detroit has?”

Nowhere in the article does it say anything about supporting corrupt politicians, you colossal ass.

I can certainly understand why ALL OF YOU would want that to happen, EVERYONE.

There.  Fixed that for you.

Posted by Garth on 10/31/12 at 11:14 AM ET

calquake's avatar

You have chosen to ignore comments from this member.

Just made my day that much better.  I truly enjoy the back and forth and exchange of viewpoints but negativity for negativity’s sake is just childish.

Posted by calquake on 10/31/12 at 11:46 AM ET

Yeah, because THAT’S what you said.

“Because all cities should be judged by their politicians, right?”

“As a response to me mentioning that the city of Detroit has a fairly recent history with hugely corrupt politicians, and (by extension) that said politicians have been a huge factor in the city of Detroit being run pretty effectively into the ground and vastly reducing the cities relevance as both a city and as an idea… not so much.”

Okay.  So you’re actually going to try and draw an equivalence between those two statements?

I think it’s pretty obvious that a big part of the reason Detroit has a crappy reputation is that it’s had crappy politicians for decades.  Among them being a former Mayor who at the very time a guy is hoping Detroit can start to shed some of that negative image is embroiled in a nasty and public Federal trial for Bribery and Embezzlement and who knows what else.

It’s funny to watch you try and spin up what is an incredibly obvious comment into some kind of series of insults you can get yourself all worked up over.  The best part is I’m just about positive you don’t disagree with any of my actual opinions in this instance (as in, the things I’ve actually said).

But you’re still apparently going to try and rub some sticks together in the hope of starting a fire.

Wow, so in your mind, that was actually a contribution?

I would be curious to see if you’re as strict regarding the degree of contribution a post must provide when it’s you doing the writing.  I suspect not so much.

Article: “We all hope Detroit can eliminate that negative image Detroit has.”
HD’s response: “Yeah, but what about that negative image Detroit has?”

I wonder if you are able to differentiate between your fanciful ‘interpretation’ and the actual quotes?  Probably not, but I can hope.

There.  Fixed that for you.

‘Oh, your posts make me so angry, I just wish you’d stop posting… even though I could just ignore the posts via a pretty easy to use interface I’m going to whine about them instead and posture because golly doesn’t it make me look awesome, and I like to look cool on the internet!.’

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/12 at 12:43 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/12 at 12:43 PM ET

Yep…..HD actually typed that.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/31/12 at 01:38 PM ET

Yep…..HD actually typed that.

I’m curious, do you actually think I post my opinions in order to look cool here?

I don’t have a terribly high opinion of you, but it’s certainly higher than to think you actually believe that.  I post the opinions I have, not the easy ones any doofus could spout to go along with the flow here.

If just saying stuff to ‘look cool’ was the goal… come on.  Not that hard to figure out.

‘Owners are evil’
‘Bettman sucks’
‘The players are getting screwed’
A joke including a quaint misspelling of an f-bomb.
‘Wow, great piece George.’

Put those on some kind of shuffle, sprinkle in a ‘gary ass’ and an occasional ‘Garcia’ callback and you’re an all-star here.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/12 at 02:41 PM ET

WingsFaninCO's avatar

Posted by HockeyinHD on 10/31/12 at 02:41 PM ET

The skinny jeans and scarf must really clash with the clown shoes.

Posted by WingsFaninCO on 10/31/12 at 03:12 PM ET

It wasn’t a fanciful interpretation.  The the article is about the people of Detroit.  Your response was to ignore the article and make a comment about a corrupt politician, as if that’s who the article is talking about.

See the disconnect?  Nobody is suggesting that anyone should be rooting for corrupt politicians, yet you somehow dragged a politician into the conversation.

Posted by Garth on 10/31/12 at 05:59 PM ET