Afternoon Line

“On the ice, if I made a mistake, I admitted it. And I think that we have to find a better way. I’m really concerned with some of the high hits, the dangerous plays. As the NHL is trying to sort through it and come up with a solution, I think they could be a little more diligent. And I think from an officiating perspective, they can get better as well.”

-Kerry Fraser, retired NHL referee.  More on and from Fraser from Leith Dunick of the Thunder Bay NewsWatch...

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Officiating, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: kerry+fraser

Comments

Is he saying he admitted it on the ice?  Because I don’t remember him ever publicly admitting a mistake to the press.

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 08/08/14 at 01:22 PM ET

Chris in Hockey Hell's avatar

I wish the refs in hockey would do what the refs do in the NFL. I’ve seen on multiple occasions where they throw a flag, then “pick it up” after getting together in the huddle to discuss it. They don’t always get it right either, but at least it’s not “my word is law” like in hockey.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/08/14 at 01:32 PM ET

Plus the NFL admits when its referees make a mistake.

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 08/08/14 at 01:46 PM ET

puckinthehead's avatar

Paul, that’s pretty cool that you found this article from my home town beat reporter!

Posted by puckinthehead from Thunder Bay on 08/08/14 at 03:11 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Always digging PH.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/08/14 at 03:15 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Is he saying he admitted it on the ice?

Yes, that’s what he means.

He’s written before about how the officials will watch replays in between periods of plays that their curious about. He stated a number of times that when he found out by watching replays that he botched a call, before the start of the next period he would apologize to that bench.

It’s not that surprising, and it’s kinda common in all sports to receive an apology when an official realizes they’ve made a mistake.

Because I don’t remember him ever publicly admitting a mistake to the press.

Officials are not allowed to speak to the press.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 08/08/14 at 07:17 PM ET