Afternoon Line

If you missed the play, watch it below with Adam Ward of TSN breaking it down...

added 1:34pm, from Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider,

“To be honest with you I didn’t see him, I kind of lost the position. It is what it is,” Ovechkin said. “We make lots of mistakes, it’s not about one mistake. You can’t blame one mistake in the whole game.”

That’s not an encouraging message from the face of the franchise, especially when the franchise in question might miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006-07. But little about the last two weeks has been encouraging for the Capitals, who have lost four straight since returning from their California trip and are close to being eliminated from playoff contention.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Washington Capitals, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: alex+ovechkin

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

Thanks Paul! Many people looking for that Ovie clip

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 04/04/14 at 01:24 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Leadership by example is obviously foreign to Ovie.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/04/14 at 01:24 PM ET

Paul's avatar

WR, i did post it a few days ago, but this is a different video.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/04/14 at 01:29 PM ET

Iggy_Rules's avatar

Good for Oates for calling him out. That sort of lacsadasical play is unacceptable from any player, let Lone your Captain.

Posted by Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada on 04/04/14 at 01:31 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added more from Ovechkin to the post…

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 04/04/14 at 01:36 PM ET

Chet's avatar

What an awful attitude from a captain. Everyone quit? Video doesn’t lie, the dude was floating. I don’t see this guy ever changing. How can they win a Cup with him?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/04/14 at 01:43 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Oh man, Paul, you should stop adding more from Ovechkin because it just gets worse and worse.

That last paragraph he basically totally bags on Jay Beagle and Adam Oates.

“But I think Beags tries his best and again the whole moment if [Oates] puts me with somebody else I have to play. I can’t say, ‘You know what I’m not going to play with this guy.’ It’s disrespectful to my teammates and of course I can be angry about it but I still have to play.”

WTF?

Posted by SK77 on 04/04/14 at 01:45 PM ET

Chet's avatar

He’s so highly paid, to take one SECOND of a shift off is a slap in the face to Caps fans and his teammates especially…if I was on the Caps I’d want him out immediately. The guy is a bum.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/04/14 at 01:45 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Leadership in any form is obviously foreign to Ovie.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/04/14 at 01:24 PM ET

Fixed that for you Mo.

“...but in that moment I think everybody quit on the play.”

A true leader and captain would take ownership of that situation instead of throwing the rest of the group that was on the ice at that time under the bus.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 04/04/14 at 01:46 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

What’s the over/under on the date he follows Kovy back to the Motherland?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/04/14 at 01:53 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

What’s the over/under on the date he follows Kovy back to the Motherland?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/04/14 at 01:53 PM ET

hehe, and i was about to say he asks for the trade between July 1st and the offseason.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 04/04/14 at 02:20 PM ET

Jaromir Blogger's avatar

Wow. That was AWFUL.

Posted by Jaromir Blogger on 04/04/14 at 02:29 PM ET

gowings's avatar

Well, for all the criticism I give Franzen…....at least he does not do THAT! Even Ovie’s reply sucks…

Posted by gowings from MTL on 04/04/14 at 02:34 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Fire George McPhee. Get a GM willing to stick with Oates and who will commit to putting together a Caps team which doesn’t need Ovechkin as its captain and which doesn’t need to filter 80% of their offense through him.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/04/14 at 02:43 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

What an *#$%@&.  I think that’s all you have to say.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/04/14 at 02:59 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Posted by Chet

That got me thinking about just how much he was paid to coast down the ice. It’s pretty amazing.

1. He’s getting paid $10,000,000 this year.

2. He’s on pace to play 78 games – that’s $128,000 per game.

3. He played 19:23 (1,163 seconds) that night - $110/second

4. He coasted down the ice for 9 seconds.

5. So he got paid $990 to watch that play.

Nice payday, huh?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/04/14 at 03:08 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Nice payday, huh?

All in a days “work”.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/04/14 at 03:17 PM ET

silversailer's avatar

5. So he got paid $990 to watch that play.

Nice payday, huh?

Mathematics is amazing hey!? Call me a nerd but I seriously love that you can take information like that, use mathematics, and get even more information out of what you had.

But of course with great Mathematics comes great Responsibility. (i.e. no misleading or fraudulently presented data! haha)

Posted by silversailer on 04/04/14 at 03:50 PM ET

It was a totally lazy play.  It’s also a play that happens more often than you think.  Ovechkin, for obvious reasons, has a big giant spotlight on him… but guys half ass back checks all the time in the NHL.

Granted, they don’t quite so obviously half ass them, but still.  Watch game film from the overhead angle and you’ll see guys doing the ‘big strides with 2 lbs of pressure on their skates’ routine.  That was one of Fedorov’s go tos when he was in a funk.

The rest of the stuff, the public comments, was also ugly… but this is a situation that’s been brewing for a while in that locker room.  Not to pull a Cherry, but again, Detroit ran into this stuff with Fedorov also.  The primary difference is that Detroit had a locker room that could deal with it because they had leaders and players who could overshadow Fedorov.  Washington doesn’t have that with Ovechkin either in the room or on the coaching staff.

I just hope this goes on long enough to smush his trade value down a bit more.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/04/14 at 05:51 PM ET

Chet's avatar

awesome.

the point remains, though: if i was on this guy’s team, this stuff would drive me nuts. it’s not like this is the first time, either. how can you follow a captain who plays so selfishly? how can such a dysfunctional team win anything?

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 04/04/14 at 05:54 PM ET

how can such a dysfunctional team win anything?

Well, they don’t.  They haven’t been out of round 2 since Detroit beat them in the 98 finals and they’ve missed the playoffs 5 other times.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 04/04/14 at 10:18 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Good for Oates for calling him out. —- Iggy_Rules from Calgary, Canada.

I’m not giving Oates any credit for mentioning this in April.

It’s April for gosh sakes!!

I’d have given him credit if he did this in October(even better at CAMP in September) and I think Ovie would’ve responded favorably if he was on his ass all year long, Ovie always respects his coaches and he’s had plenty of bad ones to test whether or not he will.

But to praise Oates for mumbling, “Ovie didn’t try either,” as the door hits him on the way out?

pfft.