Afternoon Line

"I'm an anti-Hab? Am I really? I suppose I take that as a compliment. They're crazy. I can tell you that right now. That's nuts. I've been through the Edmonton years, and I loved it, and the Islanders years, and that was great. And then Boston with Bobby (Orr) and the rest of them. The Canadiens, The Toronto Maple Leafs. Detroit with Gordie Howe and Alex Delvecchio. They came down and visited Newfoundland and we went fishing together. Are you kidding? There's no way I can favour one team. I do the games. And I get excited. I love it.

"Those people are way out in left field. No way. Can't be done. I couldn't do it."

-Bob Cole of Hockey Night in Canada when asked if he or the CBC might have an anti-Habs bias.  More on this topic from Brendan Kelly of the Montreal Gazette.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: bob+cole

Comments

What’s funny is I’ve heard Sens fans complain that Cole is pro-Habs, so it’s all how you listen I guess. That said, I think Cole (and Galley) have called a terrific series so far.

Posted by Chris M on 05/09/13 at 12:49 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

That’s the long way of saying, “Yes”

Dr. Lightman would concur.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 05/09/13 at 12:49 PM ET

He’d have to be aware of what’s going on around him in order to be anti-anything.

Posted by Garth on 05/09/13 at 01:33 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Chris M on 05/09/13 at 12:49 PM ET

I’ve always thought he was pro-Habs. I can’t recall watching a playoff series he’s called with the Habs playing where the wasn’t more excited or slanting his commentary towards them.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/09/13 at 02:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Listening to Cole call this series, I tend to hear a little more jump in his voice when calling Habs goal as compared to a Sens goal.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/09/13 at 02:25 PM ET

phillyd's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/09/13 at 02:25 PM ET

Not only that but when the Sens tied it the other night, he almost sounded crestfallen that they had tied it.

Posted by phillyd from Southern New Jersey on 05/09/13 at 02:28 PM ET

The Sens are the red headed step child of the Canadian Eastern Conference teams when it comes to the CBC and Toronto based media, so it’s not surprising or new, and Galley does a good job of evening things out I find.

Posted by Chris M on 05/09/13 at 02:43 PM ET