Afternoon Line

added 2:04pm, Below, watch Brandon Prust talk about the hit and his quote about MacLean is inlcuded.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Montreal Canadiens, Ottawa Senators, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: brandon+prust

Comments

bezukov's avatar

Ask Eddie Belfour… this is the kind of comment you make when you want to lose a playoff series.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/03/13 at 12:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

… this is the kind of comment you make when you want to lose a playoff series.

That was the first thing that crossed my mind.

And as for that “bug eyed fat walrus”? Well, I just wish he was still behind the Wings bench.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 12:23 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

Sure you don’t, Prusty. Sure you don’t.

/trolled

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 05/03/13 at 12:30 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

I actually had a members blog post typed up contrasting the hamfisted headline in the Ottawa Sun (which is tasteless and obscene) with the subtle gamesmanship of MacLeans post-game press conference.

Unfortunately the interwebz ate it when I tried to post.

The result is here to see, though.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 05/03/13 at 12:32 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I dont blame prust for those comments.  what walrus said was a disgrace to hockey and hockey players everywhere.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:04 PM ET

that fat walrus scored 300 more goals than you have so far

Posted by callmedrw on 05/03/13 at 01:08 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

What exactly did he say?

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/03/13 at 01:08 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

the print of it wont do it justice.  you have to see and hear it.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:10 PM ET

What exactly did he say?

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 01:14 PM ET

Ajax19's avatar

Good stuff!

This is playoff hockey, not afternoon tea.

This is the kind of emotion and back-and-forth we should be having.

Posted by Ajax19 on 05/03/13 at 01:16 PM ET

Maclean’s comments.

Excerpt:

Senators coach Paul MacLean defended his player after the game and seemed to put the blame on Eller’s teammate, defenseman Raphael Diaz, for leaving him out to dry coming through the middle of the rink (also referred to as “a suicide pass”).

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/03/13 at 01:18 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

it was bushleague.  he showed up Diaz.  kicked him while he was down.  bet ur sweet tea those are gonna be some fired up habs next game

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:18 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

and here’s hoping Diaz gets 4 gwg this series.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:21 PM ET

What MacLean said was true. Too bad it hurt Diaz’s feelings I guess. MacLean was just being honest.

Posted by callmedrw on 05/03/13 at 01:21 PM ET

bet ur sweet tea those are gonna be some fired up habs next game

If the Habs are a team that can’t get fired up for the playoffs on their own then this is going to be a short series.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 01:22 PM ET

and here’s hoping Diaz gets 4 gwg this series.

I just hope his shitty play doesn’t lead to more of his teammates getting injured.

Posted by Garth on 05/03/13 at 01:23 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:21 PM ET

Dan, any chance you can figure out a way not to bomb every thread with multiple stream of consciousness comments? Clear and concise goes a long way. Thanks.

Posted by SK77 on 05/03/13 at 01:24 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

it was a shitty play.  agreed.  how u putting my comments in your box?  sry i’m trrble with computers

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Da lil Guy's avatar

MacLean’s comments are likely to be biting, but only because they reflect what Diaz and the rest of the players in the Habs dressing room are likely thinking.

He rightly points out that every player who’s played in a contact league is taught not to make that pass, and not to put themselves or their teammates in that position.

Diaz said as much himself (via CBC): “Of course you don’t want to make passes like that,” said Diaz. “I just saw it was open. If I see the guy coming I never [make that] pass. It’s not fun when you see a teammate like that.”

So yeah, he’s trolling them, but he’s not saying anything they’re not all thinking.

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 05/03/13 at 01:27 PM ET

SuperMatt75's avatar

Didn’t look like the guy targeted the head at all, went for a body check and caught the head. I’d be surprised to see any supplemental discipline on this one.

Posted by SuperMatt75 from the cool side of the pillow on 05/03/13 at 01:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Video of Prust talking has been added to the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 02:06 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

As I asked in another post: Evilpens is that you? smile

Posted by some kid on 05/03/13 at 01:24 PM ET

This guy reminds me of AtTiCa (or however he spelled it) from the old Detroit News Wings forum. He had to be every other comment in every post. I always figured he was a pimple-faced 13-year-old who had no friends. I thinking the same thing about Dan M (of “!?!?!!?” fame).

Time for him to join Evilpens and TPSH on my “blocked” list.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 02:08 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

Time for him to join Evilpens and TPSH on my “blocked” list.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 02:08 PM ET

and you remind me of an a-hole.  hope i got it that in before u blocked me.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Let’s not turn this into a name calling contest, thanks.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 02:14 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

thats on me, i’m sorry.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:15 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Time for him to join Evilpens and TPSH on my “blocked” list.
Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 02:08 PM ET

Are you kidding me? This is pure gold:

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 01:25 PM ET

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/03/13 at 02:15 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Are you kidding me? This is pure gold:

But this is sooooo much better, Vlad: “You have chosen to ignore comments from this member.”

The only thing that would make it even better would be seeing nothing at all, like when you block a blog. Until a week or so ago, I didn’t even know TPSH still had a blog on KK. Out of sight (literally), out of mind. smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/03/13 at 02:27 PM ET

SK77's avatar

hope i got it that in before u blocked me.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:13 PM ET

I appreciate your gumption. Quote of the year.

Posted by SK77 on 05/03/13 at 02:30 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I appreciate that.  its refreshing to not be treated like total s*it.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:33 PM ET

Ah, playoff board material. Gotta love it.

Odd thing is, I agree with both of these guys. Diaz did feed Eller an egregious sucker pass. And Gryba DID pick a more dangerous angle than he should have, which is why Eller is injured so badly.

Posted by larry on 05/03/13 at 02:34 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I appreciate that.  its refreshing to not be treated like total s*it.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 02:33 PM ET

Probably going to get banned for saying this but you playing the victim card is bogus at best and horse manure at worst. I get some of why you think people just gang up on you but your actions the past few days don’t give you much credibility. You come in with an opinion (everyone has ‘em), and when people don’t agree, you responded unkindly and got the same in return…now your general attitude is ‘EVERYONE HATES ME’.

What did you expect when you’re a newb to the site and came out swinging?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 05/03/13 at 02:55 PM ET

Paul's avatar

What mrfluffy says is probably what some others are thinking.

But do remember there is an ignore feature for member comments, so use it and it won’t be a problem.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 05/03/13 at 03:00 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

<social commentary that nobody cares about>

You know, I’ve got no horse in this race, but why does every thread Dan posts in devolve into “pile on Dan?”

I mean, I understand not agreeing with someone, but all of this public “ignore list,” talk and disrespect in general is getting old. If you want to put him on your list, do it, but don’t post it for everyone else—including him—to see; you’re just stirring shit up for no reason.

</social commentary that nobody cares about>

Back to the topic at hand, I saw the post-game presser, and MacLean didn’t say anything derogatory or otherwise offensive regarding the hit; I don’t even want to hear what Prust has to say about it; calling someone a “bug-eyed, fat walrus”—to the media, no less—just screams “I HAVE IMPORTANT SHIT TO SAY, TAKE ME SRSLY!!!11111oneoneone” doesn’t it?

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 05/03/13 at 03:18 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I feel the same way redmenace.  thats large of you to say.  If you disagree with what I say then say I disagree with it heres why.  not f u troll wanna meet in an octagon somewhere?  red wing hockey to me is as important as air and water so sorry if i’m critical and passionate.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 03:22 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

I attended every wings/ hawks game at UC for 10 years in a row decked out in red from 2000 to 2010. I’m used to abuse.  favorite time being when we were down 1-0 all game and scored 2 super late in the 3rd and won it.  I remember it was Lang who scored a big goal for us.  feel lucky i made it out alive after that one.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 03:33 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Yeah I don’t know why blocking someone has to be followed up with Stone Cold whipping beers into the crowd.  If you’re gonna be done with someone just be done with em.

That said,

Dan, both on this thread (MrFluffy) and the LB the other night with Monkey… you’ve been given fair criticism without being personally attacked.  How about meeting folks half way man?  No one is telling you that you can’t have your opinions… but maybe save the combativeness for Blues fans eh?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/03/13 at 03:37 PM ET

RedMenace's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from aboard the Crazy Train on 05/03/13 at 03:18 PM ET

Ugh, double semicolons… I fail at expressing myself properly.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 05/03/13 at 03:40 PM ET

DAN M's avatar

what was between monkey and me was squashed.  I posted for all to see that i appreciated how monkey went about the disagreement we had and personally thanked him for being a mans man about it.  all I want is spirited debate.

Posted by DAN M on 05/03/13 at 03:47 PM ET