Afternoon Line- Tom Gulitti

Primis's avatar

Yyyyyyyyyuuuppp.

Posted by Primis on 01/28/16 at 05:57 PM ET

Well said!

Posted by Lefty30 on 01/28/16 at 08:04 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

There’s that word again: “outrage”.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 01/29/16 at 12:30 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Also, Tom Gulitti, can you provide a specific example of anyone who has done both, or is this just forging an Outrage Cup out of two different storylines whose only similarities are the name John Scott?

Try harder at your job.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 01/29/16 at 12:37 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Try harder at your job.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye’s garage, circa 1987 on 01/28/16 at 11:37 PM ET

Can you read?

Because if so, you’ve already seen it everywhere, the same people who thought it was all quite funny suddenly outraged that the league was treating Scott like a situation and not a person.

It similarly takes a real piece of work to sit here and claim that the push to vote Scott in is not at all related to its aftermath, which is exactly what you just did.  Jesus…

Either Scott is a person and to be treated as such, or he’s a dancing monkey joke so f**k him… he doesn’t get to be BOTH whenever it’s most convenient for you or anyone else’s agenda.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/16 at 09:45 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

I’m not sure what John Scott is making with his Newfoundland contract, but I’m guessing he’s at least as motivated, if not more motivated, to win based not only on the possibility for embarrassment but also considering the financial incentive the NHL put on the game.

I’ve said it elsewhere, but I’m okay with the fan vote for John Scott as a representative of the nearly eliminated job as enforcer.  It’s especially fitting that as the league migrates away from the style it had when I was growing up, that the fans choose to celebrate the enforcer position at the same time the league trots out a format in which talent and speed shall be emphasized.

This game (other than for the players for whom $90,000+ is an incentive) is an exhibition.  Fans were given the ability to select the type of exhibition they wanted to witness and they deserve the product they selected.

I haven’t watched an ASG since the early 00’s when the mic’ed up Marty Turco.  I haven’t cared for the exhibition.  But I was on board with the new format this year, and I’m even more curious to see not only the potential talent-gap between the skilled All Stars and John Scott, but I’m also curious to see just what he does bring to the exhibition.

I rather doubt I’m the only lookey-loo interested in the disparate ingredients going into this year’s ASG soup, and I’m guessing this will be borne out when the broadcast numbers are revealed.  That, too, is related to what the NHL gets out of the ASG weekend (though I’m sure the quantity of new fans would be of greater benefit than larger one-year advertising dollars).

What I don’t get (well the naive me, who has never surfed a minute in the cynical area of internet comment sections) is why folks give a flying fig about an event which they don’t intend to watch.  Treat this week/weekend as a season intermission and rest up for the uber-GM-bashing season which is certain to follow between now and early April.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 01/29/16 at 12:15 PM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

Posted by Primis on 01/29/16 at 08:45 AM ET

Can you read?

Unless your name is Tom Gulitti, that wasn’t addressed to you, but since you’ve taken up the mantle of his white knight, maybe you can provide any specific examples of a writer doing a complete 180 since he didn’t.  “Everywhere” and “the same people” are nothing more than the same ignorant generalizations.  I’ll check back later for your citations.

That’s your entirely subjective and ill-conceived inference, not mine.  I’ll summarize my thoughts for you specifically to remove any opportunity to inject a narrative: if a player gets selected to the all-star game - in any fashion - he decides to play or sit out, not the league.  End of story, unless it’s the NHL who tried to handle this in the worst possible way and made it an even bigger issue.  I also think you’re mistaken about the source of this “outrage”: the NHL’s behind-the-scenes meddling to bury him and this issue in the AHL, not John Scott: All Star™.

Care to translate and relate that sentence to reality?  That would be most convenient for me, since I had never taken a stance on this issue before this post.  Despite your continuing inaccurate inferences, I don’t have an agenda, and couldn’t care less about yours or anyone else’s, including Tom Gulitti.

Tl,dr: don’t be a ventriloquist.  Just sit on his lap.

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 01/29/16 at 02:47 PM ET