Afternoon Line- Carey Price

“I know what they are trying to accomplish, I just don’t know if it’s happening. It’s such a small difference, I don’t know if you are getting the result you really want. It’s kind of hard to explain.”

“I am not saying the sky is falling or anything but I think we just have to make sure it doesn’t get carried away and that the guys feel comfortable because the last thing you want is guys moving away from pucks when that’s not what we should be doing.”

-Carey Price on the new chest protector.  Kevin Woodley of inGoal has more.

added 1:25pm,

Filed in: NHL Teams, NHL Talk, Hockey Equipment, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: carey+price

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Helicopter Parenting has now infiltrated goalie equipment.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 08/20/18 at 03:13 PM ET

NHL goalie is not my job for a reason. However those pictures of Carey look pretty similar to old ones. I have trouble seeing all the sudden more goals are going in with whatever changed.

Underrated athletes IMO.

Posted by mtta on 08/20/18 at 09:46 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

I have no issue with padding for the purpose of protection in hockey, but anything with a flat surface is intended to stop the puck. If the intent of the pads is to deflect, they would be more curved and body contoured so as to re-direct the puck inertia rather than primarily absorb. If the concern is goalie pads to increase goals, then the focus should shift towards a more natural form fitting pad instead of smaller affixed blocks.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/21/18 at 09:42 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I’m not trying to make the goalies unsafe by reducing padding, but can someone…anyone…give me a rational reason that the trapper is now the size of a fishing net. There is zero safety related reason for this. Trappers should be the size of a 1st baseman’s glove.

It may only increase scoring minimally, but it should be changed today.

Posted by Down River Dan on 08/21/18 at 06:15 PM ET

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 08/21/18 at 09:42 AM ET

Hear, hear!

Contour those pads, starting with the big ones on the legs

Posted by EthrDemon on 08/21/18 at 11:38 PM ET