Add A ‘C’ To Phaneuf

from TSN,

Sources tell TSN that the Toronto Maple Leafs are expected to name Dion Phaneuf as the club’s 17th captain next week.

The team has called a news conference for Monday afternoon, where sources say the Phaneuf announcement will be made, along with the unveiling of a new Maple Leafs sweater.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Toronto Maple Leafs, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: dion+phaneuf

Comments

Leo_Racicot's avatar

That’s all it takes (four months) to name this guy the captain?

Good luck with that, Leaf fans and teammates.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/11/10 at 04:31 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Least worthy EVER.

Posted by Rdwings28 on 06/11/10 at 04:45 PM ET

Good luck with that, Leaf fans and teammates.

So who would you name captain instead? Rikard Wallin, Colton Orr…..Kessel??? Someone needs to wear the “C” feels like its been a few years since Sundin. Glad they are finally giving someone the “C”

Posted by Killerdg93 on 06/11/10 at 04:46 PM ET

Greg's avatar

Not really a new sweater either, they’re just going back to having the stripes along the bottom…

Posted by Greg on 06/11/10 at 04:55 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

So who would you name captain instead? Rikard Wallin, Colton Orr…..Kessel???

For a guy who left behind quite a few former teammates who didn’t like him and a few PR gaffs off the ice over the years… I’m not sold on the notion that 4 months of obedience merits this move.  Then again, I’m not Brian Burke or Coach Wilson, so what do I know about the vision of that franchise.

My intial thought is that this dude has obvious baggage and he’s played for 6 weeks on your team.  If the whole point of this is to get somebody to wear it because there’s a rush to do so, I would probably re-think that approach.

As for who I think is more deserving to wear it on that “roster” as of June 2010. I guess I’d go with Beauchemin, Koms, or Kessel.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/11/10 at 05:58 PM ET

You know, it’s not like a team HAS to have a captain, you know.  They can either have one C and two A’s, or three A’s.

Making Phaneuf the captain is a joke.  All it does is set him up for incredible embarrassment when he inevitably gets the C yanked off his sweater.

Why even go there?  Make him an alternate captain and if he doesn’t humiliate himself in the role after a year or so, give him a C.

I mean, man… as if Leafs fans didn’t have enough to be embarrassed and mad about with their team, now this?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 06/11/10 at 06:25 PM ET

I guess I’d go with Beauchemin, Koms, or Kessel.

So Phaneuf’s an awful choice but Kessel, a guy who went unsigned by his team after scoring 30 goals because he was considered a cancer in the locker room is a good choice?

Or two guys how have so far defined their tenrure as Leafs by taking terrible penalties at the worst possible time?

It’s too bad Burke has spent so much time trying to belittle and/or get rid of Kaberle, because he’s the best player on the team and should’ve been the captain as soon as Sundin took off.

As it is though, I think HockeyinHD has it.  They’ve gone without a captain for a while, why not wait till someone naturally emerges?

Posted by Garth on 06/11/10 at 08:32 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

...but Kessel, a guy who went unsigned by his team after scoring 30 goals because he was considered a cancer in the locker room is a good choice?

I don’t think that was the politically correct discription. wink