Abdelkader Will Have A Phone Hearing Today With The NHL

If you missed the hit or want to review it, watch it here at The Malik Report.

added 9:53am, from Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press,

The head is attached to the body. You attack one, you’ll affect the other, and to the naked eye, at the speed of hockey, it is damn hard to know how much contact is made where or when. So Justin Abdelkader saw a play develop, charged toward Anaheim’s Toni Lydman and plowed into him for a check. Hit his body, shoulder high, knocked Lydman up and down like a land mine explosion.

Was Lydman’s head affected? How could it not be? Was it a hit to the head? Clearly not. Did Abdelkader build up speed heading toward him? Don’t you have to? Did he continue that speed through the hit? Not at all. Did the refs call it clean — or did they call it dirty and throw Abdelkader out?

Yes — and yes.

On such things can playoff hockey turn.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: justin+abdelkader

Comments

42jeff's avatar

Riiiing..  Riiing.

“Hi this is Justin.”

“Hi Justin..this is Brendan Shanahan from the Department…”

“What do you want?”

“I’m sorry but I have to suspend you.”

“Why?”

“Because you hit Lydman in the head.”

“No I didn’t.”

“Yes you did.”

“No I didn’t.  Have you seen any of the hundred different angles that show me hitting his shoulder and not leaving my feet?”

“Umm…”

“So what part of that was suspendable?  Especially when the referee standing four feet away looking directly at the hit didn’t see anything wrong with it.”

“Umm…”

“So why did the referee in the next time zone have to call it?”

” I’m sorry Justin but I have to suspend you.”

“Why? Did Gary tell you to tell me that?”

“Ummm..”

“Screw you Brendan.  You to Gary.  Ass.”

Click

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/05/13 at 10:19 AM ET

Savage Henry's avatar

He should have just rammed somebody’s head into the glass instead of throwing a hard check.

Posted by Savage Henry on 05/05/13 at 11:04 AM ET

John W.'s avatar

I posted this late last night in the original post.  I’ll post it here again giving my account what I saw from the stands.

It was completely obvious that the refs didn’t decide to call it until they realized the Ducks player was hurt.  despicable officiating.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/04/13 at 10:34 PM ET

You are absolutely correct.  I was at the game, soon as I saw the hit I looked at both refs, and no arm was up.  Anaheim gets the puck and starts skating up ice.  Ref near Lydman blows it dead because the guy’s hurt, and THEN the back ref. who is at this point all the way on the other end of the ice in the opposite corner puts his arm up.  He called the injury, and not the hit.  Then they huddled for a good 2 minutes, I’m guessing trying to figure out what to call it since it wasn’t to the head, wasn’t boarding, and wasn’t charging either, tho that’s what they came up with since no one knows what charging actually is.  Complete horseshit.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/05/13 at 11:09 AM ET

Three games.

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 12:14 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Three games.

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 12:14 PM ET

For a shoulder on shoulder hit?

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/05/13 at 01:02 PM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

This post reminds me of that old joke. Pavel Datsyuk and Mitch Albom must be the same person, since the latter only appears to write about the Wings during the playoffs and Pavel disappears around this time. Thankfully that joke is no longer true!

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 05/05/13 at 01:44 PM ET

For a shoulder on shoulder hit?

Yeah, if you ignore the leap and follow through to the head. A needless dumb play that set the tone for the entire game.

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 01:56 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 01:56 PM ET

You’re going to have to provide a link to video of this.

Cuz frankly it’s garbage.

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 05/05/13 at 02:01 PM ET

You’re going to have to provide a link to video of this.

Cuz frankly it’s garbage

I will wait for Shanahan, he will break it down for you moment by moment!

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 02:07 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

For a shoulder on shoulder hit?

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 01:56 PM ET

The follow thru shouldn’t factor in, since the determining factor is what is the PRINCIPLE POINT OF CONTACT.  He got full shoulder and the head shot was incidental on the follow thru.  That’s always the explanation on these kind of hits.  As for the “leap” both feet were on the ice when contact was initiated.  Try again.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/05/13 at 02:07 PM ET

Hope this helps…calm the theories.

Posted by timbits on 05/05/13 at 02:13 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

I agree with John and 42jeff. The ref was right in front of the hit and clearly thought the hit was fine. It looks bad at the end, but he made contact with the shoulder first. His feet came off the ice because he went right through Lydman. Lydman should have had his head up. It’s a damn tough price to pay if you don’t keep your head up and on a swivel in the NHL.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/05/13 at 02:24 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

What I love is the NBC morons of Milbury and Roenick acting like this was the worst hit in the history of hockey.  Roenick is asking for up to 5 games for this hit.  Even the ref that decided to call it 10 seconds late didn’t call it a check to the head.  How do you call for 5 games for a shoulder hit?

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/05/13 at 02:32 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 05/05/13 at 02:32 PM ET

That was a fuching joke.  Yet they thought there was absolutely nothing wrong with the Gryba/Eller hit.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 05/05/13 at 02:38 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

If Lydman had his head up he would have thrown his shoulder into Abbey, or at least brace himself. I don’t think the Torres-Hossa hit was called on-ice either, but that had two players moving fast and the puck changed possession quickly. And Hossa did not have the puck.

It’s getting to the point where people get suspended for a hard check they lay on someone that looks dirty simply because he had his head down. I remember being told to have my head up before checking was even allowed, and if someone had their head down, you laid them out. Period. No you don’t try to kill a guy, but yes, you make him pay for having his head down. Nowadays you get suspended. I don’t know how you can blame Abbey for wrecking a guy, and wrecking him only because he had his head down. If he had his head up, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I hope Abbey continues to play this way. Good hit. Don’t know what else he was supposed to do.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/05/13 at 02:43 PM ET

Don’t know what else he was supposed to do.

Wow, that’s sad.

Posted by Garth on 05/05/13 at 03:10 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Yeah, it is sad that Abbey is one of the few players that hit people. Anyone who plays physical would have done exactly what Abbey did.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/05/13 at 03:13 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

I say Shanny gives him 2 games, but then decides he should have given Shea Webber 2 games for turn buckling Hank’s head last year and calls it even steven.  wink

Posted by Down River Dan on 05/05/13 at 03:39 PM ET