Aaron Downey Gets A Wings Tryout

via George Malik of Mlive,

So I headed over to TSN, and yes, at the 5:50 mark of a panel discussion in which Downey and Brad May share the dais with Michael Lansdberg, Downey does indeed confirm that he called Ken Holland and, after a year away from hockey, Downey has received a training camp try-out.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: aaron+downey

Comments

Primis's avatar

Great news.  As long as he’s still in the shape he was 2 years ago, sign him, Kenny!  Make him sign with ink to paper.

Wings could use his energy and character, on and off the ice.

Posted by Primis on 07/29/10 at 11:03 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Make him sign with ink to paper.

Well, he was on pace to score 20 goals and 20 assists with Detroit in 2008-2009 – if he had kept up his pace of one goal and one assist in the four games he played with them that year. smile

And while I agree with Primis that he’s a great character guy, I’d still rather see Ritola get a chance to show what he can do instead of bringing back a guy with eight career goals in 243 NHL games.

If he does sign, it would almost surely be a two-way contract with Aaron starting the year in G.R. and waiting around for an injury call-up. On those terms, he’d be a nice guy to have around.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/29/10 at 12:27 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’d MUCH prefer him over any other “enforcer”. He’s a great team guy, full of “it” and just a good guy to have around the team. Plus he’ll play in GR without saying a peep and he’ll definately be a bargain if he does well at camp.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 07/29/10 at 12:27 PM ET

No chance he takes Ritola’s spot.  If he does well he’ll get a two-way and get a call-up if there’s an injury.  While I don’t agree with it, I can see Holland choosing Modano over Ritola, but not Downey over Ritola.

Posted by Garth on 07/29/10 at 12:44 PM ET

Coastal Coyote's avatar

Great news!  I love what Aaron brings to the team in terms of character and toughness.  When he played for the Wings two years ago he gave 100% on every shift, and didn’t complain when he was sent to Grand Rapids.

Let us not forget what Downey does bring to the table.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbch6g6ICeA

Posted by Coastal Coyote on 07/29/10 at 01:51 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

I like Downey, that’s a good move.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 07/29/10 at 04:49 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Downey talks about his return at Wings.com.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/29/10 at 06:36 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

From the RedWings.com post…

I really want to come in there, shut my mouth and just do what I do.

What’s not to like about a guy who sincerely has that attitude.

And just because I took a year off doesn’t mean that I can’t handle a puck. I think I can handle it better now.

Hmmm. So, maybe he could improve on that potential 20-goal, 20-assist seasn he was on track for in 2008-2009? Sign him now, Kenny. smile

And here’s a P.S. to Bill Roose, the Managing Editor of the site and the author of that post. Geez Louise, Bill, hire a damn copy editor. There are so many typos in that piece to it looks like one of A2Y’s CMU interns wrote it.  tongue laugh

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/29/10 at 07:46 PM ET