Aaron Asham A Penguin

via Ryan Rishaug tweet,

Asham signs with penguins. Done deal.

added 6:55pm, Penguins say $700K.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Pittsburgh Penguins, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: aaron+asham

Comments

He’s good and I like him, don’t get me wrong, but I sure hope they aren’t going to keep younger guys in the AHL so that they can ice Eric Godard AND Aaron Asham. Get rid of Godard I say.

Posted by Kstewy16 on 08/20/10 at 09:00 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Glad he found a team. Too bad this means the obnoxious Pens fan I work with will be asking me tons of questions about this new-found hockey god. Ugh.

Good up for Asham.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 08/20/10 at 09:01 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Really, really surprised….

Would’ve thought GMRS would sign a 3rd line center first, rather than grab another bruiser, but oh well….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/20/10 at 09:02 PM ET

DetCapC19's avatar

Asham for $700K is a good deal but he doesn’t really seem to fit a need for the Pens, does he?

I was thinking the same thing as Tony - 3rd line center.  I guess Talbot could center Kennedy and Asham?

Posted by DetCapC19 from Vancouver, BC on 08/20/10 at 09:15 PM ET

Lindas1st's avatar

Yeah right, don’t see him centering Cooke & Kennedy.

Posted by Lindas1st from New England on 08/20/10 at 09:19 PM ET

Tony's avatar

Personally, I don’t like Talbot as the 3rd line center, but who knows what’ll happen until training camp starts up… Seems as though the signings are beginning to pick up again…..

But with Godard, Rupp and now Asham, some serious muscle that Bylsma has at his disposal….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/20/10 at 09:22 PM ET

Maybe something like this if Malkin and Staal are put together or one of those options:

kunitz     crosby     dupuis

or:
kunitz     crosby     dupuis
malkin     staal     talbot
cooke     letestu     kennedy
rupp     adams     asham/godard

Posted by NathanBC on 08/20/10 at 09:23 PM ET

Yeah, I think I’d like Letestu as third line centre before Talbot, but I don’t like that idea anyway, but I have no problem with Crosby, Malkin, Staal as centres.

Posted by NathanBC on 08/20/10 at 09:25 PM ET

I like this one:

kunitz crosby dupuis
(rookie)/kennedy malkin talbot
cooke staal kennedy/(rookie)
rupp adams asham/godard

I think I like this best right now:

kunitz crosby dupuis
cooke malkin talbot
(rookie)/asham staal kennedy
rupp adams asham/godard

Posted by NathanBC on 08/20/10 at 09:26 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I would really hope they don’t feel the need to put Talbot on a 2nd line wing….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/20/10 at 09:29 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

I like it. If he’s as good this year as last. Actually someone I hoped GMRS would go after.

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/20/10 at 10:25 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

He’s more than a bruiser at least…Good signing for the Pens. I’m glad that he stayed in the East because he’s a pain in the arse to play against.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/20/10 at 10:38 PM ET

This signing doesn’t make a lot of sense for the Pens.  Need to digest this one first.

Posted by Arnold Slick on 08/20/10 at 11:16 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

Baffling signing !! I like his game & all, But They have in abundance what he brings

Posted by Evilpens on 08/20/10 at 11:57 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Tony & company

I am not familiar with this player? $700,000 doesnt seem like this is a blockbuster signing.

Im curious.  Why were you unable to re-sign Gonchar? Was he asking for too much or did he just fancy Ottawa? If you could would you have retained Gonchar or is Paul Martin and Michalek better additions?

I always viewed Gonchar leader of that blue line. Nine million between the two of them seems like alot. Were their signings over priced?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. If Im going to continue my hatred or rivalry with your organization…. I figure I might as well learn a little about them. Seriously, Please answer.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 12:10 AM ET

Tony's avatar

He’s a rugged winger whose known more for his fists but has underrated offensive abilities…

I answered your questions on the defense in the other thread…..

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/21/10 at 12:12 AM ET

cs6687's avatar

A good, inexpensive signing. Not only does Asham make the Penguins tougher to play against, but his signing basically ensures that a youngster like Eric Tangradi or Nick Johnson is not guaranteed to play every night. This signing forces one or both of them to earn playing time. Thirteen forwards going for 12 spots creates competition. That is a good thing.

“I know my role on the team and know what I can do,” Asham said. “It’s just go and play as hard as you can. It’s up to the coaches but I hope to crack the top three lines.”

Tony, Asham is not just a bruiser. He has scored ten goals four times in his career. He scored four goals last year for the Flyers in the playoffs. He’s not lacking in ability. He can provide toughness while providing some skill. Unlike Godard or Laraque, he can play a bit.

“Basically I want to get back to the Final and have chance to win the Cup,” he said. “Pittsburgh over the last three, four years has always been there. They won it two years ago. I thought my best chance was with the Pittsburgh Penguins. I’m excited to come here and continue my quest for the Cup.”

I really like this move.

Posted by cs6687 on 08/21/10 at 12:23 AM ET

Tony's avatar

You must’ve been typing that and didn’t read my last comment…. wink

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/21/10 at 12:27 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

I just looked up the contracts.

Gonchar signed for 5.5 million on Ottawa. They couldnt have matched that. It’s not like your already pushed against the cap. Regardless, your allotted the 10% overage in the summer. I would think that teams should always avoid giving up a current player. It speaks highly of a franchise to treat players good. A free agent would hesitate to sign with a team if that team has a reputation of kicking you to the curb when your talent drops off.

Gonchar helped win the cup. Couln’t you have gave him that extra $500,000 and still afford to pick up Martin or Michalek. If that scenario played out you would still have a few million to barter with.

Like the Wings would love to have Drapers contract up, but he still has a year on his contract so they will honor that. (maybe thats not a good example). Another one is Kirk Maltby. Maltby still wants to play. Were almost broke but we are going to offer him a two way. He helped the team in the past so we will do the same.

Having that reputation is important for a team.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 12:27 AM ET

Tony's avatar

He’s 36 right now, and they felt he wasn’t going to be worth that contract…

So we shall see….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/21/10 at 12:30 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Better example:

Pretty much what Dallas did to Modano. A twenty year Star. Won a cup. First off they should have kept him till he wanted to stop.

If they didn’t honor his wish to play, they should have offered him an office position. If you were a free agent considering the stars, that kind of thing affects the decision.

I could understand if Gonchar was being unreasonable.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 12:33 AM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

PJ- Did you even watch Gonchar’s play during the Pens-Habs series? If I were a Pens fan (and obviously I’m not), and if the Pens did actually pay him $5 million (or whatever he’s making now with Ottawa) and brought him back, I’d be furious.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 08/21/10 at 12:56 AM ET

Gonchar wanted more money than the Penguins were willing to give.  The over 5 million he wanted would have been a hinderance considering the Pens needed more to go out and get at least one quality defensive defenseman.  Also, while Letang and Goligoski certainly aren’t Gonchar (yet?), they’re offensive minded defenseman that are younger and cheaper than Gonchar.

You’re completely misreading the Gonchar situation if you think it’s like the Modano situation at all.  Shero had been negotiating with Gonchar and his agent throughout several points during the season.  The Pens organization wanted Gonchar to stick around and made a big effort to keep him, but not at the risk of missing out on obtaining a guy like Martin or Michalek (I’m pretty sure having Gonchar and Hamhuis was Plan A). Gonchar ultimately made the choice to sign with the Senators 15 minutes after free agency began for another $500,000.

Posted by CrackDealer from Pittsburgh, PA on 08/21/10 at 12:58 AM ET

pensfan29's avatar

Martin and Michalek are younger. Gonchars contract is now an over 35 contract the Sens cant escape. It wasnt about the money though. Gonch wanted more years than Shero wanted to give.

BTW. Comparing Modano to Gonchar is laughable. A career player for 19 years or whatever, compared to a 5 year player. Not even close.

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/21/10 at 01:30 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by mrfluffy from Cincy on 08/20/10 at 10:56 PM ET

Honestly, thats the one series I didn’t see much of. Wait, you mean as a penguins fan you would have been angry to resign him? Thats one bad series. You can’t just cut the cord after one bad series. On the flip side, you wouldnt do that to Lidstrom. Right? Our Captain was under alot of scrutiny from the Phoenix series much less the Sharks.

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/20/10 at 11:30 PM ET

I didnt mean to compare them. I was trying to think of a veteran player who has been a big part of their franchises success/history. As a team, you have to portrait to players that they will be taken care of. You want to say, “Hey if you come to our team we will respect your wishes and stick by you”. Gonchar was getting old. It was probably in the Penguins best interest to cut him loose. As an organization, I feel you still need make a strong effort to keep him. I think the difference was only a half million. If you say the time was an issue, than I could agree with it more.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 01:46 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Okay MRfluffy I concur.

You know what I would like talk about though. Fleury. I really dont see alot of Penguin games because I despise them but. Did he have a rough playoffs? It seems like he’s streaky? No? Doesn’t he make like 5 million? That seems like a ton of money to pay for him. I didn’t know how much he made untill a few days ago. I would have guessed he made a max of 3 million.

I know Crosby is the premier player in the league. He will almost certainly be a Penguin for life. He makes 8.7 million a year. He probably could have got something similar to Ovechkin’s 9.5. So it’s better for the team, that other million could have gone to getting another piece of the puzzle. He should have done 8 million flat. Malkin should have been under 8. Maybe 7.2. That would have been about three million to spend on whatever.

I might seem crazy but having almost 17 million tied to two players for all those years seems like alot. It might seem like a good deal now. Eight years from now one their play might not stellar. If that happens your overpaying alot. Im not sure on how long those contracts are.

Look at Tampa Bay. They won the cup and gave out some hefty contracts. Its what anyone would have done after just wining the cup. We all know how Tampa has done the last couple of years.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 02:01 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Even if my opinion of what their contracts should be is way off, it seems kinda weird that Malkin makes as much as Crosby. Like I said, Crosby could have demanded to match or exceed Ovechkin’s 9.5. So it’s obvious that he took a pay cut! Then why in the world would Malkin make the same. He then should have got in the team spirit of things and taken a cut himself.

Crosby took one for the team. Malkin did not.

Now this might just seem weird to me because of what I personally think they worth. Crosby’s stellar. Malkin should be in the low sevens. Even seven flat.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 02:12 AM ET

Crosby is signed until 2013 and Malkin until 2014, so they’re signed to those totals for another 3 to 4 years.  If you hit up capgeek.com, you can find out some of this information.

Also, Malkin could have asked and been signed for more money.  He took one for the team as well. Especially since he doesn’t have the additional money from endorsements coming to him that Crosby does. Don’t let Malkin’s down year fool you into thinking he isn’t worth the money.

Posted by CrackDealer from Pittsburgh, PA on 08/21/10 at 02:27 AM ET

Moq's avatar

The signing was a little surprising to me, and I only had Asham in the periphery. Now that it’s a fact, I’m not particularly distraught. Whether it translates to Staal as the second line center, or maintaining the three center model, is less obvious. As Nathan suggests, there’s plenty of flexibility given the available player types. I would add Cooke as an occasional second line option, because the flexibility could result in some rotation.

Asham also puts some pressure on Talbot and Kennedy to show that their higher salary is warranted, and are able to contribute more than a marginal and inconsistent role. Especially when there are cheaper and presumably hungry youngsters in the system. Someone could become expendable in a hurry.

Regarding the Penguins salary structure. Every fan probably wishes they could shave off a few hundred thousand here and there. Perhaps even more than that if some player had a substandard season. A little bit here and a little bit there could go a long way to make the team even better. That’s understandable and I’m guilty of similar thoughts (Fleury in particular), but I don’t understand the Malkin argument. He had 304 points during his three entry-level seasons including Calder, Art Ross, and Conn Smythe Trophy. Low seven or seven flat is ridiculous in that context. However, no one disputes that he has to return to that form to validate the salary.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/21/10 at 09:57 AM ET

Tony's avatar

I agree Moq… While Asham’s is known for his physical play, he’s sneaky offensively, so much so that his stats are pretty much comparable to Penguins who are rapidly becoming overrated in my opinion in Talbot and Kennedy….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/21/10 at 12:29 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

I disagree a bit, Tony. Kennedy and Talbot aren’t overrated. Each was bugged by injuries last year. When healthy, both are very effective players.

Posted by cs6687 on 08/21/10 at 03:00 PM ET

Tony's avatar

I hope you’re right….

Posted by Tony from Virginia Beach, VA on 08/21/10 at 03:02 PM ET

cs6687's avatar

So do I. Also, both are in contract years. Kennedy will be an RFA, and Talbot a UFA next summer. That should be an added motivator.

Posted by cs6687 on 08/21/10 at 03:18 PM ET

Moq's avatar

I don’t know if Talbot and Kennedy are overrated or overvalued. There are probably different expectations to their level of play and ability to contribute much beyond their salary. They both had injury problems, so the performance problems had a legitimate explanation. But it’s also clear that Asham along with the youngsters in WBS puts pressure on both players to regain form quickly, and even make progress in their development. That’s a good thing.

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/21/10 at 03:39 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by CrackDealer on 08/21/10 at 12:27 AM ET

Wow, thanks for giving me that website. I always used this website called thehockeygm.com for salaries. Cap geek is better.

So your saying that Malkin could have made more than Crosby???? Yeah seems odd.

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 06:47 PM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Posted by Moq from Denmark on 08/21/10 at 07:57 AM ET

It’s not that Im criticizing his talent. If you have a player locked up for all those years, you would think the players will go as low as possible to help sign of pieces. A few teams have a guy like Crosby or Malkin. I guess its unique in pitts because they make alot!! Having 17 million dollars tied up in two guys in alot. Regardless of who they are or what they do.

If Crosby makes exactly 8,700,000 & Malkin makes 8,700,000> together thats a combination of 17,400,000. 17,400,000 of the 2010 salary cap which is 59,400,000 is 29% of the entire teams payroll. Thats roughly 30% of your teams payroll, granite the salary cap doesn’t go down.

I believe your only allowed 23 or 24 players per roster. So only 8.6% of your players make 30% of the teams total payroll. Do you see what I mean???

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/21/10 at 09:36 PM ET

So only 8.6% of your players make 30% of the teams total payroll.

You’re right, on one hand, but there are other factors.

One is that we’re talking about Sydney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.  If your had one guy, like Ovechkin, you wouldn’t complain that he was making about $8.5M, but Pittsburgh is in a rather unique position in that they have two of them.  And sure, two guys making that big a percentage of your cap is a lot, but again it’s Crosby and Malkin.  We’re not talking about Aaron Asham and Derek Boogard combining to make that much.

Second, as a Detroit fan you’ll point to Z and Franzen’s contracts as a better option and I’d definitely agree, but they’re on 10+ year contracts.  Syd and Geno are on short contracts, so it’s harder to artifically lower their cap hits than it was for Detroit with our contracts.

So yeah, there are ways that they could be making less, but they could also each easily command much more than they’re getting.  Do you have any doubt that, on the open market, each could get what Ilya Kovalchuk was looking for this summer?

Posted by Garth on 08/22/10 at 12:22 AM ET

DigitalGypsy66's avatar

Back to the Gonchar comment:  He also got another year from Ottawa.  The Pens offered 2 years, he wanted three…and there you have it folks. wink

Posted by DigitalGypsy66 on 08/22/10 at 01:34 AM ET

pjwalny's avatar

Yeah, but combined they make about 11 or 10 I think.

No doubt they could. That’s why I kinda have to take my hat off to Crosby. I dont think Malkin is worth that much. Crosby is the best in the league. Look at Ovechkin, he commands 9.5 and he hasnt done jack shit for that team. I mean he hasnt taken them anywhere. So if he can demand that you know Sid could demand that or more. Then you really would be in kinda a pickle. If Crosby made 9.5 plus Malkin’s 9.5 because whatever you would have payed Crosby in guessing you would have had to pay Malkin.Thats about 35%

Posted by pjwalny from Not Detroit, evidently?? on 08/22/10 at 04:34 PM ET