A very wise comment about the trade deadline

The Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott provides a West Coast take on the trade deadline via discussions with Anaheim Ducks GM Bob Murray and Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi, and Murray may have issued the most astute comment that I’ve read in a long time about the concept of trading players at the end of February in a salary-capped league with 3-point games:

“It opens up much more at the draft,” said Ducks General Manager Bob Murray, who kept his resurgent team intact while making two minor league trades. “When you get to the draft … all of a sudden you have more people in the market or trying to make a major move because they’ve had playoff failures or they haven’t made the playoffs, whereas in a move right now you can only talk to certain teams because of the cap and money.”

Continued

Filed in: | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Alzy's avatar

Have to admit George, despite my mixed feelings regarding what happened today as far as the Wings go, the most constant thought in my mind now is ,“Tick Tock better add one, or both depending on what happens with Lidstrom and Stuart, of Parise or Suter.

We keep hearing the talk of how for example, Nash was always more likely to be dealt at the draft or on July 1 because more teams could get seriously involved. Well, Ken Holland, that better frigging happen. I want one of Parise or Suter, so make it frigging happen.

Posted by Alzy from Cambridge, Ontario, Canada on 02/28/12 at 04:34 AM ET

Not sure what’s astute about that.  Doesn’t everyone know this?

Posted by Garth on 02/28/12 at 11:57 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Doesn’t everyone know this?

Posted by Garth on 02/28/12 at 08:57 AM ET

Reading the comments yesterday, I don’t think that’s the truth.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 12:04 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Reading the comments yesterday, I don’t think that’s the truth.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12 at 09:04 AM ET

+1 trillion

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 02/28/12 at 12:45 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Reading the comments yesterday, I don’t think that’s the truth.
Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/28/12

Reading the comments yesterday sure made me think I’ve been wasting my time reading the comments.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 02/28/12 at 01:08 PM ET

Reading the comments yesterday, I don’t think that’s the truth.

Maybe regarding Nash, but otherwise I would disagree.  I don’t think anyone wanting Ken Holland to make a move was suggesting they trade for one of Boston’s or New York’s top line forwards.  They were looking for a 3rd liner from Buffalo or Columbus.

Posted by Garth on 02/28/12 at 01:12 PM ET

statelouis26's avatar

Lombardi is one of the worst GMs in the league and I don’t know why he still has a job.  He was given the opportunity to build an entire team from scratch and has done a terrible job b/c he has been unable to draft talent. Half of LA’s players were drafted by the Kings.  That’s awful.

Posted by statelouis26 from Detroit, MI on 02/28/12 at 07:44 PM ET

I wish they had a “like” button here, Statelouis.  Here’s to hoping the Kings can Lombardi and take his crappy coaches with him.  Hockey is a two-way game and this “defense only ” strategy L.A. employs is not only ineffective, but boring as hell to watch regardless of which team you cheer for.  The only thing it does is make Jonathan Quick look competant -whci I am not convinced he is.

Posted by sean_o_sean on 02/29/12 at 12:07 AM ET