A Surpise Guest At Wings Camp

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Figuring that there’s no such thing as too much hockey knowledge, coach Mike Babcock gladly said yes when Ken Hitchcock called and asked whether he could come to Detroit Red Wings training camp.

Hitchcock, whose NHL head coaching experience includes stints in Dallas, Philadelphia and Columbus, was at Centre Ice Arena today and will remain here through Tuesday’s scrimmage in what can best be described as a symbiotic relationship.

“Hitch phoned me and said, ‘I want to learn, can I come to your camp?,’” Babcock said. “I phoned Kenny Holland and said, ‘He wants to learn, but I want to learn, too—can he come to our camp?’ It’s more to deal with the coaches—talk to our coaches, talk to me. I’ve worked with him. Evaluate me, evaluate the coaches—what can we do better?”

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Columbus Blue Jackets, Detroit Red Wings, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: ken+hitchcock

Comments

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s my understanding that Hitchcock is still being paid by the Blue Jackets and therefore still works for them.

TotalProSports.com article about it here:

Call me leery about this.

On a side note, I can’t believe that, between Joel Quenneville and Ken Hitchcock, that Quenneville is the one who just got a three-year extension while Hitchcock is asking his way into training camp.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/17/10 at 03:20 PM ET

Paul's avatar

J.J., I was under the same impression.  I posted a story on it about a month ago I believe, stating something like Hitch was going to have a sit down with Columbus to determine his position.

I did a quick search for it, but just too busy to find it now.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/10 at 03:27 PM ET

Twig's avatar

whoa, whoa, whoa…

let’s not give away too many secrets now. maybe hitchcock just wants to learn how to stare holes through a reporter’s head?

Posted by Twig from Houston, TX on 09/17/10 at 03:28 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Paul, yeah, the TPS.com one is the first that came up in the Google.  I remembered reading about it here, but I couldn’t find the link.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/17/10 at 03:30 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Found the story.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/10 at 03:31 PM ET

Who’s next?  Lindy Ruff?

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/17/10 at 03:33 PM ET

HockeyTownTodd's avatar

Not buying the spin at all, methinks maybe McCrimmon is going to be re-assigned.

Posted by HockeyTownTodd on 09/17/10 at 04:04 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by HockeyTownTodd from A. K. A. NostraGrampus on 09/17/10 at 03:04 PM ET

If the Wings end up bringing Hitchcock on as an assistant coach, I will shit a brick of happiness.

If Hitchcock runs back over to Columbus after taking a camp full of notes, the brick will be made of vitriol.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/17/10 at 04:07 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

If Hitchcock runs back over to Columbus after taking a camp full of notes

he will be the one who gets a hole stared through his head.

angry

Based on what I’ve read and heard over the years, Hitchcock has a lot of integrity. Plus, I’d think that burning bridges with Mike Babcock would not sit well…with either Mr. Babcock or other hockey professionals.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 09/17/10 at 04:48 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I sure hope you are right Gramps.
I’m with JJ, I’d excrete an additional happiness turd if the other “Mc” gets “reassigned”.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/17/10 at 05:18 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Puck-rakers,

The Blue Jackets gave Hitchcock permission to attend Red Wings camp. GM Scott Howson said Hitchcock is not “working” with Mike Babcock or the rest of the Red Wings assistants, he’s simply doing what Howson’s termed “personal development.”

Hitchcock concurred, saying bluntly: “I’m helping myself, period. That (Red Wings) sweater has tormented us the last few seasons. I’m not doing anything but watching.”

He went on ...

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/10 at 06:48 PM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/10 at 05:48 PM ET

Well, then it sounds like he’s going for something akin to “Continuing Education Units” at the local University.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 09/18/10 at 01:12 PM ET