A Sad Day When Cherry Leaves The Game

from Bruce Arthur of the National Post,

He is, objectively, great at his job. When he leaves the airwaves one day, he will be missed, if only because there is nobody who can replace his capacity for forging a connection to his audience, and provoking reactions like this one. He is must-watch TV, as far as hockey goes, a sort of water-cooler cottage industry. Sometimes he’s dead right: no-touch icing, hard plastic shoulder and elbow pads, stuff like that. Sometimes he sees things in the game that nobody else seems to notice. And often, I think, he is terribly wrong.

But whenever Don takes the stage on Saturday nights now, I wonder how it’s going to end. The hockey world is moving away from him, on every level — Hockey Canada outlawed hits to the head for kids, the NHL has made moves to curb excess physicality if not fighting, even visors are becoming more common. He is receding into history even as he commands the pulpit, and with every passing year the odds of him saying things that the CBC will have to disavow rise. Maybe one day he will go too far over the line, as elastic as it has been for him. Maybe one day the storm won’t pass.

And when that day comes it will be sad, even for those of us who disagree with him. Don Cherry loves hockey, and he illuminates Saturday nights across this country even when residing in hockey’s darker ages. He will leave a void, one day, when the lights go out.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Media, Hockey Broadcasting, CBC HNIC, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: don+cherry

Comments

Puck's avatar

Don Cherry is a bloviating, preening peacock that needs to hurry up and die already. His false bravado and militaristic pandering is revolting to watch. Maybe he can spend his retirement hanging out with Hank Williams Jr discussing deep issues and the way things used to be.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 10/16/11 at 09:13 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

When Cherry leaves, he’ll just be replaced with a new protege, another personality who irritates, annoys, bloviates, and drives both interest and discussion.

Hell, Jeremy Roenick is already auditioning for the job.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 10/16/11 at 09:17 PM ET

As much as I dislike what he says most of the time, I hope you are using excessive speech and don’t really mean you want him to die?

Posted by timbits on 10/16/11 at 09:30 PM ET

Puck's avatar

Posted by timbits on 10/16/11 at 08:30 PM ET

Of course not literally. I wish him excessive social ill and mockery but hope he lives a long healthy life and maybe mellows out after he leaves the limelight. But I’m not holding my breathe on that.

Posted by Puck from San Francisco, CA on 10/16/11 at 09:42 PM ET

DocF's avatar

The man is a Neandrathal.  He was not a capable player, or coach.  His views are out of touch with reality.  He needs to be removed from the air sometime around 2006.  He is years past any relevance.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 10/16/11 at 10:08 PM ET

mmuskrat's avatar

I feel like you guys are reacting to the headline.  Did you even read the article? Are you really saying that his rants on hard plastic shoulder pads, no-touch icing, and attention to kids, are out of touch?

Posted by mmuskrat on 10/16/11 at 10:18 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Having grown up with the CBC here in the Detroit area and having watched HNIC since about 1975 and having been a fan of Coaches Corner since about 1988/89???, I will miss Don when he steps down or more likely is shown the door by the CBC. Honestly Don is , for me at least, the only thing left on that program worth watching. Ron Mclean still a great host, but the rest of the studio people and the play by play guys for me are not worth watching. If you don’t like grapes or what he says…....simply turn him off??? That’s what I do whenever Milburry, PJ Stock, Jim Hughson, or Elliot Friedman show up on my screen.

Posted by Down River Dan on 10/16/11 at 10:19 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

What’s the big deal if Cherry loves the game and remembers why we shouldn’t try to change it too much?  I say vote Cherry for NHL Commissioner!

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 10/17/11 at 12:36 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Puck, you are a bloviating, preening cock that… oh wait.. you’re one of my best friends, so you aren’t allowed to die.

Really?  You’re anti-Cherry?  Wow…

Ok, so I’m a bit of a fan of the guy; I bought both of his recent books…. and read them.  Can anyone here claim the same?  The guy has been through some storied moments in both the senior and junior levels of the game throughout times where we were more concerned about why we didn’t like creamed spinach or were really convinced the toilet was a useless device.  He has his hands on the pulse of what made the game we know and love what it is today.  And while he may be falling behind what it is becoming, and I’m not so sure he is, he keeps one thing in the game that I don’t see any other person in hockey broadcasting doing right now, and that is PASSION.

Say what you will about the guy, but he reminds us of the roots of why we’ve been here all along.  He reminds us of the viewpoint of the hockey player themselves.  And, Puck, I know you’ve played a lot more hockey than I have, since, well, I haven’t.  So, chime in, sir…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 10/17/11 at 03:42 AM ET

Primis's avatar

The Day Cherry “leaves” (by whatever finally silences him, and I think we all know what that will take at this point) will be a GREAT day for hockey, because hockey can finally come out of the 1930’s and into the 21st century…

Posted by Primis on 10/17/11 at 08:25 AM ET

Cherry is great. He slips up once in awhile, but I give him props for calling it as he sees it. And I completely agree that he’s the only person worth watching (save maclean). PJ stock, Hrudey, Milbury….all worthless.

Posted by callmedrw on 10/17/11 at 08:47 AM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I will always be a fan of Grapes. He is not always right, but, he says what he means, and, means what he says.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 10/17/11 at 09:36 AM ET

Cherry makes good points, about hard pads, no touch icing.  Agreed, but the hard-nosed hockey he calls for in other ways, the hits Scott Stevens laid out, those are gone from the game or should be.  He needs to reform his act somewhat, and last Saturday night when he apologised to the “pukes” was a good start.

This article, though, makes it sound like it’s a bad thing the game is less gratuitously violent than it used to be.  And that’s just stupid.

Posted by Harald on 10/17/11 at 09:41 AM ET

Flashtastick56's avatar

Cherry is what he is and doesn’t try to be anything but.  There’s something to be said for that.

Posted by Flashtastick56 from Meriden, CT on 10/17/11 at 09:47 AM ET

The game has passed Don Cherry by pure and simple.  While he may have a valid point from time to time, who really listens to him anymore?  Only those that are waiting for him to stick is foot in his mouth with another stupid comment that stirs up a little controversy.

Posted by grndlprm on 10/17/11 at 11:57 AM ET