A Happy Modano Could Be A Productive Modano

from Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News,

Here’s a goofy idea: I would love to see Mike Modano play for another team next season.

If _ and this is a big if _ if Modano was happy.

He wasn’t last season. He didn’t have a real place on the Stars. The team didn’t play well. His ability to fight through frustration had worn down. That happens when you get older and have put up with a lot in your career. It’s hard to battle through the tough times.

But if you get a fresh start, a change of pace, a new challenge, your resolve becomes stronger.

continued

Filed in: NHL Teams, Dallas Stars, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mike+modano

Comments

Nathan's avatar

I know some of you have thought it, and I know I have. And I know it’s not really realistic, given they are log-jammed at forward, especially forwards that play the role Modano would play. But let’s bring it up anyways…

Does anyone think Modano would be interested in returning to Michigan, and do you think Holland and Babcock would be interested in having him?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/30/10 at 01:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Nathan, I posted a quote from Mike about four days ago in which he said he would want to go to a team that he would feel comfortable with and I imagine Detroit would be one of those teams.

Not sure if it is a fit, but sure would be nice to see him on the point of the 2nd unit power play.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/30/10 at 01:46 PM ET

detroitdan1982's avatar

Darren Dreger’s Twitter feed said Detroit would be one of the teams interested in having him should he decide to play next year. It’d be great to see him back in Michigan.

Posted by detroitdan1982 from St. John's, NL on 06/30/10 at 02:04 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 06/30/10 at 11:46 AM ET

Great point, Paul, I hadn’t even thought of that. They could use his ability to shoot from the point big time.

The thing I’m just grappling with as to whether or not it’s realistic is where does he fit? He’s not going to ride the pine, he wants to be an every game player.

You know these guys are set:
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Franzen
Filppula
Hudler
Cleary
Bertuzzi
Homer
Helm

You also know it’s unrealistic to think Draper is going anywhere unless he suddenly decides to retire. And you know that they want Eaves in the lineup for his PKing. That leaves one spot, and I believe Abdelkader is out of options, and you really don’t want him sitting in the press box when he needs ice time to grow as a player. That puts Drew Miller in the press box, and Modano… where?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/30/10 at 03:19 PM ET

That puts Drew Miller in the press box, and Modano… where?

So Modano’d be centring the third line (that’s a fair assumption, right?) and you’d have Draper, Helm, Abdelkader, Eaves, Miller and Ritola looking for a spot on the fourth lining, which means that right off the bat you’re saying goodbye to either Eaves or Miller, unless Drapes retires.  That means that, beyond this year you’re missing Miller or Eaves, and is that a good tradeoff for what would likely be one year of Modano?

I don’t know, maybe it is, maybe it isn’t.  I really like like Eaves and Miller and it sucks that they’re already likely to be splitting time with Draper and Ritola on the fourth line as it is…

Posted by Garth on 06/30/10 at 03:26 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

According to an interview that Babs gave a reporter from the Edmonton Journal the other day, he plans to start out the year with Z and Pavel on the same line. He then went on to lay out his other “anticipated” lines…

1. Pavel – Hank – Homer
2. Mule – Fil – Bert
3. Happy – Abbi – Cleary
4. Eaves – Helm – Miller/Draper/Ritola

The fact that Miller, Draper and Ritola will compete for the final spot on the 4th line isn’t a big surprise. But I was kind of surprised that he’s penciled in Abbi as the center on the 3rd line.

Anyway, as others have pointed out, I really don’t see where Modano would fit into this line-up. Even adding the “gritty” 4th liner they keep talking about means one of the current forwards would have to go.

For a summer when not much is projected to happen, this one still has a bit of “drama” in it for the Wings. And that’s the way we like it, right?  smile

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/30/10 at 04:42 PM ET

I think the reasoning was that Helm, Eaves and Miller/Draper spent a lot of time together last year and Babs liked them together.  So while I think Helm as “earned” a third line spot more than Abby has, I also like the idea of that potential fourth line.

I really don’t get the “gritty/enforecer” talk for the same reason you mention, OTC.  Unless maybe they’re trying to use the “threat” of bringing in another guy as a bargaining too with the RFAs?

Posted by Garth on 06/30/10 at 05:09 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

More importantly—Abdelkader is penciled in on the third line because he’s out of options, and it’s a bad investment in a young player to let his skills rot on the sidelines. It might be rough to give him third line center minutes this season, but if they don’t do it, he’ll never develop to his full potential.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 06/30/10 at 05:27 PM ET