A Great Shot Or Bad Goal?

Cam Fowler of the Ducks with the game winner late in OT against the Flames.

I went to bed thinking more of a bad goal than a great shot.  I see a lot of open net to the left of Kiprusoff who may have been thinking forehand instead of backhand.

Goalie experts, what do you think?

Filed in: NHL Teams, Anaheim Ducks, Calgary Flames, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: cam+fowler, miikka+kiprusoff

Comments

This was a great goal.  Its so hard to tell where a back hand is going, and he had tremendous speed.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 02/12/11 at 12:28 PM ET

Paul's avatar

I agree on both points Jdunc, the backhand is hard to judge plus the speed of Fowler.

I just watched highlights of the game before and the shift before, Fowler went end to end and just about in the same position, tried a backhand against Kipper who basically shut it off.

Maybe Kipper was leaning or thinking forehand because of that previous shot.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/12/11 at 12:34 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I thought Kipper committed too much to his right, thus taking away his positioning to the left, and there was no need to because two Flame defenders had the front of the net covered. Yes, there was a late-breaking Duck ready to sniff for a rebound; but Kipper needs to let one of his two defenders worry about that.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/12/11 at 12:51 PM ET

A lot of times when you have that much speed and you try to back hand the puck you end up pulling the shot (if you’re trying to get any zip on it).  I think kipper had a good angle the puck just found a hole.  Its extremely difficult with that much speed to place a back hander short side (at least I can’t).  These pros make it look easy and Zetterberg might be the best in the league with his backhand shot.

Kipper played the shot right, the puck just found a hole.  I’m giving all the credit to the shooter on this one.

Posted by Jdunc from Flint, MI on 02/12/11 at 02:00 PM ET

Nate A's avatar

I’m no expert, but it looked to me like Kipper lost his net. He was out far enough that there shouldn’t have been much exposed, and his push was controlled and short.

Posted by Nate A from Detroit-ish on 02/12/11 at 02:09 PM ET

I don’t even think it should have got to that point, Paul, I had the game on DVR and it clearly looked like the Ducks were offsides at the Flames blueline.  That said, great rush by Fowler and a beauty of a backhand.

The officials (both refs and linesmen) were not very good last night.

Posted by dash_pinched on 02/12/11 at 02:43 PM ET

Let’s say it was a good goal that was preventable.

Stop the clip at :

31 secs - it is possible the puck is partially screened

32 secs - Kipper is square to the potential shot release point

33 secs - the puck has moved to the backhand, but Kipper’s squareness is the same as it was when the shot was on the forehand.

33 secs. - shot release, at this point Kipper needed to have been rotated to the proper squareness, and take a butterfly slide more towards and protecting the center of the net, otherwise he is chasing too much space.

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 02/12/11 at 02:56 PM ET

Also let me add, easier said than done especially at NHL speed.

Posted by Cubanpuckstopper on 02/12/11 at 07:17 PM ET

The officials (both refs and linesmen) were not very good last night.

I just watched a replay of that game and the linesmen called the Ducks offside twice when they weren’t, so maybe that was justice Colie Campbell style?
I definitely agree that the officiating was pretty bad all around in the game. Staios tackles a guy to the ice (Selanne, I think) in the final 3 minutes and doesn’t get called for it and then not 30 seconds later Glencross gets his stick in the crook of Perry’s arm in the neutral zone and Perry sells it, so he gets a penalty. I mean, seriously? Staios should definitely have gotten called but the Glencross penalty was a non-factor. The puck was nowhere near him .I guess the refs just wanted to make up for the missed calls? Not to mention the penalty shot awarded to Jokinen when he got the pass off. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy get a penalty shot after actually managing to pass to a teammate on the play…

The worst part for the Flames is they lost two points to the Ducks. Instead of being one up on them they are now 2 back.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 02/13/11 at 02:52 AM ET

Oh yeah, on topic: I think Kipper could have had it but Fowler was running pretty well all game. He went to the net with authority and it paid dividends. Good for him.

Posted by Iggy Rules on 02/13/11 at 02:56 AM ET