A Few Words from Colin Campbell

“That’s what’s thankless about this job. You try to do the right thing, you try to keep physicality in the game and you guys think that I enjoy hearing everybody saying [Raffi] Torres should have been suspended. Well that would have been the easy thing to do. If they want to go forward and say that type of hit or all head hits should be suspended, maybe this job will be easier, but I don’t think so.”

—Colin Campbell from yesterday’s interview on TSN Radio [audio link]

For more text of Campbell’s comments, check out the Globe & Mail

Filed in: NHL Talk, Cheap Hits, NHL Officiating, NHL Playoff Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

SK77's avatar

If it’s that “thankless” maybe you should look for a new job.

Otherwise do a better job of being consistent and people will start to lay off.

Posted by SK77 on 04/21/11 at 04:25 PM ET

Evilpens's avatar

He can’t get another Job, he wants to be a HC or GM & nobody has been STUPID enough to hire him

Posted by Evilpens on 04/21/11 at 04:45 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Did anybody listen to the interview?  Curious if he ever talked about Kunitz and Downie.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 04/21/11 at 05:10 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

I haven’t had a chance to listen to it, but the text (admittedly, just a sample and incomplete) doesn’t mention them, just notes discussion about Crosby and Torres.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 04/21/11 at 05:30 PM ET

I’m 3 minutes in. This guy is spending most of his time telling the reporters they’ve never watched hockey and kissing Bettman’s butt. So far this is astounding.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/21/11 at 05:46 PM ET

Oh God, now he’s saying fighting is down and in danger of being taken out of the game. I don’t have the numbers in front of me, but I’m pretty sure fighting is way UP the last few years. This is confirming all my suspicions, so far.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/21/11 at 05:48 PM ET

The other day he was on Hockeycentral on FAN 590 and after saying that Torres’ hit wasn’t suspendable under the rules was asked if he thought that it should be suspendable.

His answer (and I’m paraphrasing, but it was pretty close):

“To be honest, I don’t know.”  He went on to talk about the fact that he played so long ago and even coached so long ago and the game has changed so much and blah blah blah.

To me, those are the words of a guy who should not, under any circumstances, be making these decisions.  If he came out, guns blazing, and said that no, it shouldn’t be suspendable and then gave reasons why, I might respect that even if I disagreed.  But for him to be so dispassionate and beaten down shows me that it’s time that he exited stage right and made way from someone willing to make a decision and stand by it rather than just hemming and hawing like he does.

Thankless job?  Not appreciated?  Then EARN some thanks and appreciation or don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Posted by Garth on 04/21/11 at 05:56 PM ET

Quotes

“We don’t make this stuff up has we go along”

“Those GMs don’t have any balls” (in reference to 8 of 9 GMs who told Dreger saying they thought the Torres hit was suspendable)

Posted by steviesteve on 04/21/11 at 05:56 PM ET

Campbell: “We try to give the player every benefit of the doubt, but we have to think about the victim, too.”

Case closed. Fire his ***.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/21/11 at 06:03 PM ET

They asked him something about Downey’s hit in the context of suspensions being all over the board, but he shouted them down and said he wasn’t done talking about Torres, then told them they’ve never watched hockey, for about the fifth time.

This interview is fascinating. Campbell is all-over-the-map. He might be crazier and more senile than Grapes.

Posted by steviesteve on 04/21/11 at 06:11 PM ET

eternal_fields's avatar

Wow, he’s ready to be put out to pasture.

I agree with previous posters who think the NHL could use a new perspective in this position.

Posted by eternal_fields on 04/21/11 at 08:28 PM ET

It will be awesome when he’s gone, but I’m hesitant over who the replacement will be.

Posted by pens fan in baltimore on 04/21/11 at 09:01 PM ET