A Tough Loss For The Avalanche

from Adrian Dater of All Things Avs,

What a tough loss that was. It was as big a gut punch of a loss as you can get. Forget the “this is a young team, there will be other kicks at the can in the future” meme. This was a really tough loss for Avs fans to take, and trust me, it wasn’t any easier on the players in the locker room, as the above photo of Ryan O’Reilly shows.

Four one-goal leads in a Game 7 at home. Four blown one-goal leads. One great two-on-one chance in overtime, with Paul Stastny and Gabe Landeskog looking like they were ready to win this thing finally. One great breakup of the play by Ryan Suter, followed by a Dany Heatley (Dany Heatley) lead pass up the ice for an odd-man rush to Nino Niederreiter (Nino Niederreiter) for a game-winning OT goal.

It was all one big, cruel piece of irony for Avs fans in the end. The team that always found a way to win games like these just kept trying to find ways to lose the biggest one of all to this point – and succeeded.

I don’t want to get into a big rip job on the team about this. I always thought what this team did during the regular season deserved major appreciation, and I won’t dump on it all after one OT loss in a Game 7.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Colorado Avalanche, Minnesota Wild, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

Welcome to summer, Dater!!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/01/14 at 09:16 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Wasn’t it just two days ago Dater was making excuses for them to lose already?

All in all, I was kind of bummed - I really wanted CO to advance.  I’m still bitter about Parise and Sutter going to MN, so I guess that’s why.  Plus I really want the Hawks to lose and they should be able to skate circles around MN.

Too much youth on the team, maybe.  They could use Danny Cleary.

Posted by TreKronor on 05/01/14 at 09:44 AM ET

pautna's avatar

Any day Roy fails is a good day. Good job Wild!!

Posted by pautna on 05/01/14 at 10:34 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Any day Roy fails is a good day. Good job Wild!!

Ugh.  While I’m warmed by the thought of the Avs getting eliminated, I can’t bring myself to give kudos to the Wild.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/01/14 at 10:40 AM ET

IwoCPO's avatar

It was all one big, cruel piece of irony for Avs fans in the end

And there is joy in my heart. Again.

Posted by IwoCPO from Sunny San Diego, bitches on 05/01/14 at 10:53 AM ET

blammo's avatar

I didn’t have a stake in this one but it was sure fun to watch. Avs are only going to be better next year. The worst part of the Minny win is that Cooke gets to play in rnd 2.

Posted by blammo from Vancouver, BC on 05/01/14 at 12:38 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Dater is such a total clown.  He couldn’t even manage to not take shots at Russo on Twitter.

I’m pretty sure at this point that Dater exists as a reminder to everyone how good bloggers and blogging really is.

Posted by Primis on 05/01/14 at 01:06 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

And there is joy in my heart. Again.

+19