A Relationship Between The NHL And MLB Is About To Begin

WHAT: Media availability via conference call to coincide with announcement of a groundbreaking new partnership between the National Hockey League and Major League Baseball.

WHEN: Tuesday, Aug. 4, at 3:00 p.m. ET

WHO: National Hockey League Commissioner Gary Bettman
Commissioner of Baseball Rob Manfred
NHL Chief Operating Officer John Collins
MLB President, Business & Media Bob Bowman

via DJ Bean tweets,

Per a source, MLB's Baseball Advanced Media will take over NHL's web ops, apps, streaming video, etc. in 2016. Announcement tomorrow.

Baseball Advanced Media is a giant of sorts. Also does HBO Go, among other things. This is viewed as very good news for NHL.

Only real question is what working with a competing league will mean for NHL.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHL Media, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: mlb

Comments

Alan's avatar

Only real question is what working with a competing league will mean for NHL

Is the NHL really competing with MLB, though? Other than during their respective playoffs, there’s no real compeition to speak of.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/03/15 at 03:52 PM ET

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 08/03/15 at 04:52 PM ET

No not really. Actually this makes a lot of sense. NHL can save some money, MLB can make a little bit more money and when the seasons are winding down\ramping up, they can run advertisements for the other leagues games.

Posted by weswolverine on 08/03/15 at 04:30 PM ET

awould's avatar

Glad this posting came up…. my hockeystreams invite was gonna expire tomorrow.

So I subscribed to hockeystreams…. anyone have any advice on how best to use it? I have an iPhone, Apple TV, PC, Mac…...

Is it worth getting a Roku?

Are there any settings I need to worry about to get the best quality stream? My down speed is about 30-35 mbps.

Posted by awould on 08/03/15 at 05:23 PM ET

awould's avatar

Paul, btw, is it possible to set up a comment room on this topic .... gamecenter vs center ice vs hockey streams vs ???

I’ve used Gamecenter one seaons and found it seriously lacking. I’ve used Center Ice a bunch but hate the price and the confusion in their scheduling, home/away feeds, etc…. I know I’m not the only one with questions.

Posted by awould on 08/03/15 at 05:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

There are a few options I can do awould, but this week may not be the best to do it.

Site traffic is probably the lowest it will be this week but I can do something to try and generate some comments.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/03/15 at 05:29 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

So does this mean Ill be able to find out Datsyuk’s shooting percentage on Sundays in the month of February when its raining and his pregame meal was a hot pocket?

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 08/03/15 at 05:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

We will hold our breath on this line from Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated.

There are concerns about the continuing availability of NHL highlights on YouTube, but we’ll see how that shakes out on Tuesday before we grab our pitchforks and torches.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/03/15 at 05:57 PM ET

Posted by awould on 08/03/15 at 06:23 PM ET

Hockeystreams promises a lot but doesn’t deliver plus i feel like it operates in a grey area. I love hockey, I love the NHL, I will give my money to the NHL to support the sports growth in the US.

Posted by weswolverine on 08/03/15 at 06:17 PM ET

I am new to the apple tv and being without cable. I am curious to when the NHL Game Center app goes on sale? I have been checking the site and it says that it is no longer available for this season. Will it start up again in september?

Posted by drenthp on 08/03/15 at 06:41 PM ET

NBA:  that midget shrew of a commissioner.
NFL:  John Collins.
MLB:  Rob Manfred.

About the only league the NHL’s business venture hasn’t touched on is the MLS.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/03/15 at 08:42 PM ET

awould's avatar

Maybe closer to the start of the season, before people get locked into a subscription.

Posted by awould on 08/03/15 at 09:09 PM ET

Primis's avatar

So the NHL just ceded online control of their product to a company with very strong ties with a rival sport?

What could possibly go wrong?

Posted by Primis on 08/04/15 at 08:19 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by weswolverine on 08/03/15 at 07:17 PM ET

While I do agree with the fact that it operates in a grey area, and that might be putting it mildly, I have had nothing but a positive experience with hockeystreams.  All of the nhl games are available and in hd, and the ability to watch ahl and major junior games, even in low quality, is awesome.  I have had issues with the Android app, but that is 3rd party and something I rarely use.  It is in every way a better product than gamecenter.

The only downside to it is that because of its questionable legality, if it were to be shutdown for any reason, you’d play hell trying to get any money back.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 08/04/15 at 09:08 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Primis on 08/04/15 at 09:19 AM ET

MLB Advanced Media actually runs a pretty great operation—certainly, the best any of the major sports have to offer in terms of streaming subscription packages and the like.

Also, there’s very little relevant overlap. The person that would rather watch an October hockey game than October baseball is probably crazy enough so as not to be convinced to switch their October viewing habits. Same goes for the psycho that’d rather watch June, dog-days baseball over NHL SCP.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/04/15 at 10:18 AM ET

What could possibly go wrong?

Tons.  I bet the MLB stat guys start changing everything.  Suddenly a goalie won’t have a save percentage but rather an ERA.

Hits will probably be replaced with slugging stats and Corsi will end up calculating runners stranded on base.

Posted by Garth on 08/04/15 at 12:37 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Garth on 08/04/15 at 01:37 PM ET

Hahahaha, well played.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 08/04/15 at 02:11 PM ET

Please no baseball highlights on the NHL network. It’s annoying enough I have to see baseball scores during NHL broadcasts. Personally I never understood why in the internet age we need constant scrolling scores on our TV screen.

Posted by evileye on 08/06/15 at 10:55 AM ET