A Lot Of ‘Ifs’ Need To Be Answered

from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun at The Observer (Sarnia),

If the league's offer on the "make whole" portion of the CBA is genuine, then they can move on to other issues, like the five-year limit on contracts the NHL is trying to impose along with changes to free agency.

While all games up until Dec. 1 have already been chopped, the league could still have a meaningful 60-game season that wouldn't require the playoffs to start late and the Stanley Cup final to be played after mid-June.

"They can worry about that stuff after they get an agreement," said a league insider Sunday. "They've got a lot of work to do before they can even think about trying to have a season."

The hope is these talks will lead to action on the ice.

Filed in: NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Bottom line this is just Stupid.  Each side meet halfway and let’s get going.  Another season lost will be very detrimental to the league.

Posted by 13 user names on 11/04/12 at 08:39 PM ET

The problem is, I’m not sure the NHLPA is prepared to move off of any of their established positions even one iota, much less to ‘halfway’.

As far as I am aware the NHLPA has not agreed to give up a single dollar in real terms, a single existing benefit to players, a single contract term that favors players… nothing.

The NHLPA torpedo’ed the re-alignment last year, too… as much on general principle as anything else.

So far, all the NHLPA has ‘given up’ is a slight moderation to the rate at which their compensation increases.  A very slight one.

So when we talk about ‘concessions’ and ‘meeting in the middle’... well, I don’t exactly see the NHLPA rushing to embrace that kind of thinking.

They’re under no moral requirement to do so, obviously… I just think it’s germane to note that as of today they haven’t budged off a single issue besides a slight decrease in the rate at which they’ll make more money.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/04/12 at 09:18 PM ET

Then I’m afraid there will not be a season this year.  I guess Fehr started Baseball on the road to obscurity, he’s not even going to get hockey out of the garage.

The NHL is going to shrink it’s fan base as a result of this.

I’m a die hard fan but the NFL is looking better and better to me.

I don’t miss it as much as the last time.  Am I alone?  What do you guys think?

Posted by 13 user names on 11/05/12 at 12:39 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

13 I’m with you.  I’ve really been getting into football this year.  Also, between Lidas retiring and Homer’s defacto retirement, Pavel on the last year of a contract, Z with his hard miles on him, Stuey gone, Drapes, Malts.. Feel like we don’t know the current group well enough to miss them like you did in the last one where we’d had so much of the team for so long and had accomplished so much.  Don’t miss watching this bunch like i missed watching the old bunch though.  Late night pontificating I guess.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/05/12 at 01:52 AM ET

Don’t miss watching this bunch like i missed watching the old bunch though.

That’s kind of why I don’t think the lockout will have any real impact on fan participation in the long run.  If the team is good and has good players guys like HO there will be back and have their favorite jerseys with the price tags dangling from a sleeve.

If the team plateaus or is otherwise uninspiring, guys like HO will drift off into other interests.

The people that love hockey through thick or thin will continue to love it, the middle of the road fans will drift in or out depending on all sorts of stuff, the casual fans will always be casual fans.

None of those cases are impacted all that much by a delay in the start of a season or a cancellation of a season.

I don’t miss it as much as the last time.  Am I alone?  What do you guys think?

I didn’t miss it that much last time either.  The thing is as sports fans we are used to being without our favorite sport for 6-7 months every year anyway.  Most fans (maybe not Wings fans but most sports fans in general) often have a ‘lost season’ every three or four years where the team is a pile of crap and they ignore it for a full year anyway.

I mean, how die-hard of a Lions fan did you have to be to actually want to watch that team week in and week out during the Millen Era?  That was 6 years where the highlight of every season was the freaking draft.  The Pistons have been garbage for three years in a row, and are going to be garbage again this year (although at least young and improving garbage).  Same deal with the Tigers 6 or 7 years ago.

We’re used to either not having a team to watch or not having a team we even want to watch.  Whether it’s because they suck, they’re on strike, they’re locked out or they’re not in season.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/05/12 at 05:16 AM ET

Name one real concession the owner’s have made. Not a concession off of their own absurd request for player reduction from 57% to 43%. Because that is still a player concession, no matter how you frame it.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/05/12 at 10:38 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

My connectedness with this team has nothing to do with me being a casual fan.  I actually have yet to see you post about ANYTHING other than CBA news the past 6 months and don’t remember you barely at all before then.  My point was I miss them less, not that I don’t miss hockey.  Please don’t put words in my mouth.

Since you probably haven’t read any real hockey posts of mine since you don’t read those articles evidently, I’m one of the few people on here who think we have a good team.  We have Z, D, Flip, Franzen, Brunner (who I think will fit right in after spending this time with Z in EV Zug) Helm, Tootoo (who I’m freakin’ pumped we got, regardless of what he was with Trashville) The best open-ice hitter in the game in Kronwall, Brenden Smith who could end up being the best NHLer Dman out of the whole bunch that’ve been coming out the Badger factory.  And 1 James T. Howard with a pretty high-talent backup in Monster.  Not to mention Nyquist who looked slippery as hell during his callups last season.  I miss MAYBE 1 or 2 wings games a year, regardless.  Keep your casual fan business to yourself.

We have a good team, I’m surprised you don’t think so.

My point was that there’s no real identity to this team.  Not like our team in 05 during the lockout.  There’s no identity to miss, just individual players.  Hockey fans understand this.

My point was that we haven’t spend 15 years with most these guys like the others.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/05/12 at 01:06 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

I didn’t miss it that much last time either.

You’re a f*ckin class act, two seconds after calling me a casual fan.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/05/12 at 01:07 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

you know HD, we should go to a game together and clear the air.  My treat, you let me know once the season starts when would be good for you.  I am dead serious.  I’ll wear my fav players jersey if the team is doing well by then wink if they aren’t I’ll feign interest in hockey and we can talk about money for a few hours.  But I’m dead serious, I’ll pay for the tickets, beer, food.  Break the ice, so to speak.  You can bring friends if you’d like but they’re paying for themselves.  KK heard it, and I’m a man of my word, which doesn’t mean much to most but means something to me, so take that for what it’s worth.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/05/12 at 01:23 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You can email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) and let me know.  No time limit on the offer, open invitation.

Later ya’ll.