A Little Bit Of This And That

from Sean McIndoe of Grantland,

The issue: Your favorite team signed a guy in free agency. Yay!

The outrage: Wait, for how much? Boo!

Is it justified? Not really. As we all know by now, there’s no point getting worked up about the first few days of free agency because all the deals are always terrible. But that doesn’t mean we can’t take this opportunity to do a quick rundown of the best and worst deals of the past few days.

The five best:

5. Ales Hemsky, three years, $12 million, Dallas: Hemsky’s a divisive player, but he’s skilled and the Stars got him relatively cheap. Best of all, the deal came on the heels of the Jason Spezza robbery, and Hemsky looked great on Spezza’s wing last year in Ottawa.

4. Paul Stastny, four years, $28 million, St. Louis: Stastny was arguably the best player available and he got paid like it, earning the highest per-season average. But it’s the term that makes this a winner for the Blues, who got the player who could help them the most without having to commit to six or seven seasons.

more plus other hockey topics...

Filed in: NHL Teams, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Within the “more” link is yet another link that led to Mike Commodore trolling the Wings fans.

Don’t know how much of it is true, but it’s out there.  And wow.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/03/14 at 11:05 AM ET

Don’t know how much of it is true, but it’s out there.  And wow

What an entitled prick. I’ve been doing my job for 10 years now and I know I can go at any minute, I don’t even have to deal with young guys constantly pressuring me out of it. I’m guessing Babs couldn’t stand his immaturity. They was a bad signing period.

Posted by weswolverine on 07/03/14 at 12:43 PM ET

Precisely, Wes.  It’s why I said what I said.  Don’t know how much of it was true, but C64 was fairly good when he did play.  Stood up a couple of times for the Wings forwards to keep the pests in line.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/03/14 at 01:08 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Don’t know how much of it is true, but it’s out there.  And wow.
Posted by SYF from Zata’s Epic Viking Beard on 07/03/14 at 12:05 PM ET

Given the way no one here in Anaheim missed Babs when he left, the inability of the Wings to retain FA’s like Shanny, Hossa, Happy and Flip, and that almost no FA’s are willing to sign here, I am having trouble not believing Commode’s account of how things went down.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 07/03/14 at 01:21 PM ET

In the ‘02 SC Champs video, one comment that stood out for me about Scotty Bowman was that Bowman, “...changed with the times, and stayed with the times.”  However way Bowman did it, he was able to be a part of the reason why many FAs played in Detroit.  If Babcock is going to succeed further, Bowman’s adaptability to the times is a lesson he’s gonna have to learn.  The influx of the kids last year may be Babcock’s finest coaching performance ever, but he’s gonna need to be far more flexible now with the kids being forced into NHL level competition before they are perceived to be ready.

I don’t know the answer as much as anyone, CaptD.  I was going to be accepting that because none of the guys that the Wings targeted on the first day of UFA signings were able to sign with the Wings, for me, I was going to be all right with the kids now making their way to the big club.  But then they went out and re-signed KFQ.  I have had it with the “We like our team” bullshit mantra spewing out of the Wings organ-I-zation.  That smacks of Oilers/Flames mediocrity.

I don’t know how those guys on Bowman’s teams in MTL did it when they all said, “364 days of the year, we hated him.  But on that day we won the Cup, we all loved him.”  Maybe it was a different time with different attitudes.  But whatever.  Wings have done so many good things, the right things in getting basically high school kids to prepare for the NHL.  So many variable have to be in place for them to succeed.  And the Wings have done that as we’ve seen great surprises in Fischer (before he retired), Kronner, and now, Sproul, Ouellet, and Marchenko.  They’re ready and they’re hungry, IMO.  Immature in terms of experience, but physically, I think they’re ready to take on bigger responsibilities.  It’s all up to the coaching staff to make it happen for them.

Babcock’s gotta loosen up substantially and allow the kids to gel and get some chemistry playing together.  If he doesn’t, Wings are wasting draft picks.  And good ones, too.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 07/03/14 at 02:10 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

You nails it syf.  Let the kids gel. They won a Caldercup together.  They know how to win together.  You never hear about team events anymore where the boys just get together to hang out.  No loosry gooses like Ozzie and drapes and sarcastic guys like malts or Stevie.  This seams very much like Babs identity on the team instead of the players identity together.  I’d bet he gets called a control freak.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/14 at 05:51 PM ET