A January 15th Start?

added 8:47am,

Filed in: NHL Talk, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

TreKronor's avatar

I think what this all means is, the media covering this has no clue what is actually happening between the NHL and NHLPA and have just been hammering opinion pieces for the last month.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/04/20 at 09:19 AM ET

Paul's avatar

What it tells me TK is a beat writer from Carolina may have broken the news, which by the way was on KK yesterday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/04/20 at 09:20 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I saw that PK.  I think it’s interesting that the “big boys” heard about it from a beat writer.  I have a theory but it’s not worth speculating about…I’m sure more will come out in the next day or two.

Posted by TreKronor on 12/04/20 at 09:37 AM ET

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/04/20 at 09:20 AM ET

This.

Between Waddell’s quote and the specificity of Seravalli’s tweets leads me to believe there is definitely smoke here.

Good work, Chip.

Posted by PresidentJoeByzerman on 12/04/20 at 09:37 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic,

• A 52-game and 56-game schedule were both discussed as options Thursday night, but a source says the preference for both sides would be 56 games for obvious revenue reasons.

• Training camps for all 31 teams would start around Jan. 2, although that could still be tweaked.

• The seven-day voluntary pre-camps for the seven teams not involved in the postseason remains on the table, a source said. But another source said it wasn’t 100 percent it could happen, that both sides need to figure that out. The NHL definitely wants it. The pre-camps for the Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Senators, Red Wings, Sabres and Devils, under this new timetable, would be slated to open in late December.

• Obviously, the COVID numbers remain a huge concern. As we get deeper into December, the NHL and NHLPA have to keep the door open for further delays depending on the safety of being able to lunch the season in mid-January.

more ($$$)

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 12/04/20 at 10:52 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic,

Those revenue reasons are anything but obvious in a world where buildings are not filled with fans.  In fact, I’ve heard the opposite: the more games that are played, the more the owners lose.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 12/04/20 at 01:02 PM ET