A Frank Talk With Chris Pronger

from Brian Cazeneuve of Sports Illustrated,

It is a sad way for a great and likely Hall of Fame career to end, but to Pronger's credit, he also spoke thoughtfully and forcefully about the future, even one with such uncertainty because everything from his vision to his train of thought may never quite return to normal. He talked about what constituted a victory, or what he called "a winning streak": consecutive days without strong headaches and symptoms. He's been pushing himself to work out, move around, and be with people more in order to improve the quality of his life and reduce the stress on his family, even if that means aggravating his symptoms more often than he would like.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Philadelphia Flyers, | KK Hockey | Permalink
  Tags: chris+pronger

Comments

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I don’t wish ill will on people nor am I into the whole karma thing… but life is a big circle and what goes around definately comes around.
His career is over and I would like to think he’ll be able to lead a normal life eventually.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 04/17/13 at 02:15 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Despite absolutely despising Pronger pretty much his entire career, watching this video just about removes any and all residual animosity I ever felt towards him as a fan. Hopefully with time he will continue to heal and be able to experience a happy life with his family and friends.

Posted by SK77 on 04/17/13 at 02:53 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Feel bad and all but…how in the hell is he still on LTIR and not retired, hence the Flyers getting away with his cap not on their books?

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/17/13 at 03:05 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

MOWingsfan19, that’s precisely how I feel too.
I hope he gets his life in order (especially for his family’s sake), but I can’t get the cliche “What goes around, comes around” from floating through my head.

He lived by the sword and now his career is over because of it.
But I repeat, I hope he heals up and is able to enjoy a fully functional life.

Posted by Hank1974 on 04/17/13 at 03:41 PM ET

socalwingnut's avatar

I think it’s an example of a player’s on-ice persona vs. the real person off the ice. A few years ago when Pronger was playing for the Anaheim Ducks, my son and I went to an autograph session at a local rink. Chris Pronger and Francois Beuchemin were the two Ducks at that event. We waited dutifully in line and my son got his items signed. But, what strikes me as memorable is the fact that a few kids who played on a hockey team I coached showed up about 10 minutes after the advertised deadline and happened to meet Pronger as he was walking out the door. He (and Beauchemin) came back inside, signed everthing the kids had, posed for pictures and then made a quick look around to see if anyone else was waiting for them. It was only then that they left the building. I remember the looks on the kids faces when the players stopped and interacted with them asking their names, if they played hockey, etc. That was pretty cool, but it was also typical of almost every hockey player I’ve ever met. I hope he recovers well enough to lead a somewhat normal life for the sake of he and his family.

Posted by socalwingnut on 04/17/13 at 04:30 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Chris Pronger’s career was one of escalated violence with every new season.  Be it hitting too high, throwing cheap shots, or stomping on people with his skate, it’s not too hard to imagine a world in which four or five people could be sitting where Pronger is as a result of his willful and “outside the norm” level of violence.

I don’t wish “Chris Pronger the man” any continued suffering.  But the feeling of “justice served” for “Chris Pronger the player” is undeniable.  The game is safer without him.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/17/13 at 08:02 PM ET

pautna's avatar

Chris who?

Posted by pautna on 04/17/13 at 10:16 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

A player I loved to hate but a great player he was without a doubt.

Lets me share a moment in Pronger history thx to downgoesbrown humor:
May 10, 1998 - In a scary moment, Pronger briefly suffers cardiac arrest when a puck hits him directly in nest full of acid-spitting black scorpions who live in the big empty space where his heart should be.

vampire