A Demographic Snapshot

added 12:30pm, more below...

Filed in: Hockey Related Stories, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

Whats the point here?

Posted by ThatGuy on 09/16/20 at 12:33 PM ET

Creating a gratuitous basis to slice and dice
and divide the public - especially at a time when politics
is invading everything and polarization is so extreme
- is worse than pointless.

One of the things I love about sports is I don’t usually
know or care what someone’s party affiliation is or how they check off
a list of hot button issues.

My maternal grandmother was a Democrat and my maternal
grandfather was a Republican and somehow they made it through
the 60s and Vietnam and Watergate and on and on without
poisoning each other. Maybe the fact they made it through the depression and
WWII gave them some perspective about coming together and not obsessing about
every single thing they didn’t have in common.

Whether anyone reading is a Democrat or a Republican or black or white or - you name it - I hope you’re having a good day and you and your whole family are hanging in there and enjoying the playoffs. We have so much more in common than whatever distinguishes us.

Posted by lefty.30 on 09/16/20 at 01:12 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Study done June 2019 - March 2020 by the by

Posted by ilovehomers on 09/16/20 at 01:16 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

The charts are actually pretty interesting and self explanatory.

Westland perhaps could have also written, “The NHL has the most even split between Democrats, Independents, and Republicans.”  But that’s just not as exciting enough for the media types these days, I guess.

It’s actually interesting to see how close things are between NBA, MBL, and NHL.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/16/20 at 02:51 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Not news worthy at all. Who cares?

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/16/20 at 02:52 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

My maternal grandmother was a Democrat and my maternal grandfather was a Republican and somehow they made it through the 60s and Vietnam and Watergate and on and on without poisoning each other.

See. Now that right there is true love.  LOL

On a more serious note, valid points throughout – and points well made, as usual, lefty.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/16/20 at 03:00 PM ET

Who Cares…. exactly.

Posted by SevensForTed on 09/16/20 at 03:25 PM ET

d ca's avatar

...and including only 400k American fans when a large portion of the sport’s fans are Canadians means this survey doesn’t give an accurate picture of the games true fan-base.

Anyone with a background in statistics could catch this before it is even conducted. It fails statistical assumption #2. homogeneity of variance

All this did was skew data to avoid a null hypothesis of no relationship.

For example: I surveyed 1000 Atlantic division fans and asked what is the best way for a team to use it’s current roster, cap resources, and draft capital to win a championship. I concluded it is best to stay the current course for every team in the NHL based on the results and skewing from 3 max cap teams in Toronto,Boston, and Tampa plus 2 bottom-feeders in Detroit & Ottawa.

Posted by d ca on 09/16/20 at 03:52 PM ET

Really, KK?

This is the best you can do?

Posted by nevinsrip on 09/16/20 at 04:12 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

This doesn’t belong here.

In these times, this article is pure clickbait.

I know traffic at KK has been down, but this still is beyond the pale.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 09/16/20 at 05:22 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Thanks for sharing this data, PK.  I found it interesting (but not surprising).

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/16/20 at 05:27 PM ET

Paul's avatar

it is a demographic snapshot involving NHL cities.  Nothing more, or as as large as you want to make it.

If the letters NHL were not in it, of course I would not have posted it.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/16/20 at 06:04 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posts about the games being canceled and other political showcasing on and off the ice were unavoidable, but I agree this was unnecessary if your trying to keep the content about hockey, if your looking to erode this into the same cancerous discourse every other media forum has devolved into, this will get you there.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/16/20 at 06:27 PM ET

Never begrudge you posting anything PK.  If my comment seemed directed at you it absolutely wasnt.  It was to these silly people “conducting their research”

Posted by ThatGuy on 09/16/20 at 06:40 PM ET

“To some of you, am I not supposed to post hockey related information like this, which allows you to discuss?”

Short answer. Yes, of course. It’s your site. Post whatever you wish.

With that come consequences. As a patron, this is not what I expect here.
I don’t want politics or SJW stories here.
All I want is hockey.
PERIOD.

So, of course you can post whatever you want.
No one is saying otherwise.

Judging by the 13 to 1 replies against this crap, you have to consider the ramifications.
You lose patrons and you go under.
Simple.
Check the NBA ratings.
Sports fans have had enough of being preached to.

By the way, it’s not the information that’s objectionable. It’s the slant with which it was written.
It may as well have said “Hockey Fans ARE White Racists” because that’s how it was intended.
You’ve heard from your readers. I suggest you listen to them.

Posted by nevinsrip on 09/16/20 at 06:41 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Understood TG and nevi…, I just looked at the post and saw only Democrats and Republicans, you know how it used to be because I am old school.

I still believe the majority on both sides can have a discussion without it going off the rails.  If I stop believing tht my faith in the government will be lost and I am not about to do that.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/16/20 at 06:46 PM ET

KK Yes, both sides can discuss anything.
The question for you is that you site is NOT the proper forum for such discussions.

Go to any one of ten million political sites if you wish to argue with strangers about social justice.

As for “old school” I’m pushing 70, so been there done that.

You don’t seem to grasp the fact that sports fans are fed up with politics creeping into their playground.

By the way, I’ll still support you, no matter what.

Posted by nevinsrip on 09/16/20 at 07:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Some strong opinions coming here from someone who has as many posts on this site as I do fingers.

I don’t give a crap for the political slant this portrays, if anything the Twitter poster should be ashamed for trying to bend stats the way they have. But such is the state of media types, so it’s no surprise.

Actually I’m quite happy to see such a civil comment section on this. That is something that’s refreshing to me.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/16/20 at 07:53 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

And? smirk

Posted by bigfrog on 09/16/20 at 09:23 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Really treK? Who cares how many posts a person has or not, there opinion is still vital to the content of what Paul chooses. Its similar to the liking thing on many other types of forums, your ranking on those forums is determined by how many “Likes” you have. What if your credit score was determined by likes? Or your next raise?

Paul, i understand where you are coming from regarding your last post. I do. But Sports has always been the release of the of the working man/woman (Kate? Little Redhead?)! Away from the grind, politics, husband/wife…...

If we let this political atmosphere take over OUR releases from the strains of daily life then how are we supposed to breathe, laugh, get involved outside ourselves? If you let ever inch of your being be consumed by this environment i feel its detrimental to our very existence.

Breathe and be free.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/16/20 at 09:26 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Because too many trolls stop by for a minute then leave.

Or get banned…eventually wink

Posted by TreKronor on 09/16/20 at 09:33 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Ten comments in a year does not seem very troll like.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/16/20 at 09:37 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Perspectives are funny things… Everyone sees things differently. And most of the time neither is wrong, neither is right.

Posted by TreKronor on 09/16/20 at 09:47 PM ET

Rumbear's avatar

61% eh?  I thought it would be higher. Oh well….

Cheers!

LGRW !!!!!

Posted by Rumbear from Top O the Hasek, waiting for YzerMan Plan...... on 09/16/20 at 11:18 PM ET

No complaints here about the content. I find things like these interesting to consider, so long as you know how to take it (it’s a small sample size, relatively speaking, but still likely has some validity) and are able to contextualize it.

I agree with others, though, that the guy tweeting this stuff was trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Take that away, though, and there’s some mildly interesting data here, though I think it would be more interesting to look at these sports demographically in more ways, including things like age, household income, etc. But the percentage of Hispanic fans is one thing here that caught my attention. Seems like a steadily growing demographic.

Posted by nosferatu from Albany, NY on 09/16/20 at 11:48 PM ET

tkfergy's avatar

I appreciate the post.

Posted by tkfergy on 09/17/20 at 01:05 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Just a thought… Maybe consider setting up a separate “blog” to house the political bent posts for those that like current state of most social media and bantering around along divided political lines, and keeping the general hockey threads free from political obstruction for those of us who like to just comment on the battle on the ice?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/17/20 at 08:09 AM ET

The Meal's avatar

POLITICAL SLANT?  Did folks stop paying attention to the tweet after they read Westhead’s opening sentence?  The value isn’t his opinion or his framing of what was researched, it’s the data.  And while for the most part it wasn’t anything terrifically unexpected to me, I was surprised to see the the NHL had a larger percentage Hispanic community than the MLB (despite all the Latin Carribean player-providers that baseball has).

I’m FLOORED that the average KK commenter, folks I think of as being intelligent and capable of cutting through the chaff, couldn’t get past the twitter-guy’s attempt at getting some sort of (frankly dumb) “involvement” with Morning Consult’s data.  TreKronor’s take: “Westland perhaps could have also written, ‘The NHL has the most even split between Democrats, Independents, and Republicans.’  But that’s just not as exciting enough for the media types these days, I guess.” is nearly identical to my take on what was shared.

To try and squelch this information (including the dumb spin on what was presented) from being shared here on KK astounds me.  This is data.  Read into it as you would.  Don’t let Damien Cox, Mike Milbury, Adrian Dater, or Joe Blow Twitter Westhead guy affect whether or not you’d want to even know this study existed.  When there’s actually a nugget of meat, read past the junk and don’t rise to the bait.

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/17/20 at 08:56 AM ET

I am looking forward to complaining about JB…

Posted by Ventr on 09/17/20 at 10:35 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/17/20 at 08:09 AM

Love that idea Murray!

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on

Meal,
What i surmise from the posts that are unhappy about this article is this data has nothing to do directly with the game on the ice. Player stats, Advance Stats and any other game related stats are relative to the game we love. I think most of us really do not care if someone is a Republican or Democrat or nor what race we all are. We are all humans that love the game of hockey and this is our release from the daily world and that gives us enough to enjoy together or argue about. Lol.

This data does not jive with many of us here because its not relative but also because the current political atmosphere in this country. We get enough of this shit in emails, our mail boxes, fromt door handles, phones, radio, tv and on and on.

I would hope this site does not become political in any sense. Hockey is a game, nothing else.

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/17/20 at 10:54 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Good idea MC, but in less than two months, the political banter may stop or may continue.

Whatever, I will continue to post articles that may have a political slant, but by no means are my intentions to become any way affiliated with any type of politics.

I just posted this one due to the NHL demographics and did not expect this sort of response.  As a few people said, take the numbers how you wish and then go from there.  This was nothing about a battle between the two parties.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/17/20 at 11:02 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/17/20 at 08:56 AM ET

Unsure if that was in reference to my use of “political bent posts” so just to be clear I was referring to all post that have more to do with politics than the game.

To answer your question, your damn right that’s where I stopped. Just like when I hang up my phone on campaign call, hit spam on my email, or turn off my TV or on mute,  I’m 200% done with it.  Some of this is unavoidable, but some of this is, and I shared my feedback as such.

I got 99 problems (cancerous politics being tossed in my face) and I hope KK ain’t 1.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod's pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/17/20 at 11:10 AM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick from YzerGod’s pixie dust fueled bandwagon on 09/17/20 at 11:10 AM

THIS!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/17/20 at 12:31 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

But… but… but… pretty colors.  Bar charts.  Numerical daaaaata!!!

Maybe my engineering background is showing.  I should zip that up.

Cheers, all.  Hockey again tonight!

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 09/17/20 at 01:55 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I couldn’t get past the first sentence. I’m not into labeling. I don’t know how on Earth it’s even come to this. Growing up in Detroit, and to this very day, I had/have friends. That’s It.

We are all Earthlings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 09/17/20 at 02:53 PM ET

damndog revenge   From the bowels of Detroit's avatar

We are all Earthlings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 09/17/20 at 02:53 PM ET

I love you Kate!  smile

May the bong be with you all!

Posted by damndog revenge From the bowels of Detroit on 09/17/20 at 03:17 PM ET