2013 Winter Classic Cancelled

NEW YORK (Nov. 2, 2012) -- The National Hockey League today announced the cancellation of the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic. The game was scheduled for Jan. 1 between the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. In addition, the League announced all SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival events scheduled for Dec. 16-31 at Comerica Park in Detroit are cancelled.

The next NHL Winter Classic – featuring the Red Wings and Maple Leafs - and Hockeytown Winter Festival will take place at the University of Michigan and Comerica Park, respectively. Those who have purchased tickets for the 2012-13 events can either receive refunds or maintain their tickets for the future events. Ticket refund information for the 2013 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival can be found at: nhl.com/winterclassicrefund.

The cancellation was necessary because, given the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL, the League was not in a position to do all that is necessary to adequately stage events of this magnitude. This year's Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and the companion SiriusXM Hockeytown Winter Festival called for the construction of major outdoor rink facilities at both Comerica Park and 'The Big House'. Multiple games involving teams from the NHL, NCAA, American Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League, high school and local minor hockey leagues were scheduled, requiring travel and hotel commitments.  Beyond the construction of two major outdoor rink facilities, the combined events were preparing to welcome nearly 400,000 guests to Detroit and Ann Arbor over the holiday period.

"The logistical demands for staging events of this magnitude made today's decision unavoidable. We simply are out of time," said NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly. "We are extremely disappointed, for our fans and for all those affected, to have to cancel the Winter Classic and Hockeytown Winter Festival events."

"We look forward to bringing the next Winter Classic and the Hockeytown Winter Festival to Michigan," Daly added.

Filed in: NHL Teams, Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL Talk, NHLPA, | KK Hockey | Permalink

Comments

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

I’m surprised! Just kidding.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 11/02/12 at 03:18 PM ET

pautna's avatar

This whole thing is like watching a slow-motion train wreck. Sad.

Posted by pautna on 11/02/12 at 03:20 PM ET

I was reallllly hoping I wouldn’t see those words on this website.

Posted by spl1ph on 11/02/12 at 03:21 PM ET

HasTheVoice.com's avatar

So I guess the Winter Classic will now be the Detroit Pistons hosting the Sacramento Kings on New Year’s Day or the Raptors hosting Portland on January 2nd…

Posted by HasTheVoice.com on 11/02/12 at 03:24 PM ET

Bettman’s next move is to cancel Christmas and wants to prevent any college bowls games to be played on New Years Day.

Posted by FlyersFan on 11/02/12 at 03:26 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

I can’t believe how angry I am even though I knew this was going to happen.

Posted by Stevis on 11/02/12 at 03:27 PM ET

The cancellation was necessary because, given the absence of a Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players’ Association and the NHL, the League was not in a position to do all that is necessary to adequately stage events of this magnitude

I thought the owners had made the commitment and risked everything necessary to run a professional league. Guess the players were just a minor afterthought.

cancel Christmas

No Bettman will need to have hockey on Christmas a well since the NBA has it.

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 11/02/12 at 03:29 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Lot of families could’ve used the extra money.. especially around Christmas time.  Too bad.  I’m so sick of this owner shake-down.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 11/02/12 at 03:40 PM ET

The owners want money, the players want money.  No angels, no demons, just two groups of people who want a bunch of cash.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/02/12 at 03:42 PM ET

Having the WC cancelled is a bummer, though.  I snaked a pair of row 10 tickets on the third base side to the GLI a while back for 20 a piece off StubHub.  Hopefully they’ll roll that seat over to something similarly nice at the Joe.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 11/02/12 at 03:44 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

On the bright-side, I can move on with my life and not having to wonder if there will be a Winter Classic.  As much as I was looking forward to going, I’m a bit relieved to have this cancelled so I can move on to planning something else to do for New Years.

The question then will be, do I want the refund or do I want to hold on to my tickets for next year…hmmmmm…

Posted by TreKronor on 11/02/12 at 04:13 PM ET

I’m too angry for words now.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/02/12 at 04:25 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

If the winter “classic” is off, why not off the entire season? If the owners are hell bent on getting their way or the highway, why leave their loyal of loyal of customers in limbo. If you really want to draw a line in the sand, just draw it already.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 11/02/12 at 09:33 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

That bends it.

I’m not watching the season this year if they rescue it.

One less 82-game-a-year regular season viewer.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 11/03/12 at 10:55 PM ET