Kukla's Korner Hockey
from Ken Wiebe of the Winnipeg Sun,
Olli Jokinen has heard the doubters and insists he’s not done.
The Winnipeg Jets centre believes he still has plenty of gas left in the proverbial tank.
“I think I’m going to have five, six big seasons left,” said Jokinen, who was among those to hit the ice at MTS Iceplex for an informal skate on Tuesday morning and addressed the media for the first time since last season. “I’m not nearly as done as you guys probably think. I have a lot of years (left). I’ve been playing a long time and I still think I can play five, six years at this level — easily.”
A year ago, Jokinen was a big free-agent addition for the Jets, inking a two-year deal worth $9 million.
The expectation was that he’d take over as the No. 1 centre but that plan never materialized.
from Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press,
A man accused of robbing Winnipeg Jets defenceman Toby Enstrom in Sweden in late June has been sentenced to one month in jail for giving a false name to police.
Enstrom was assaulted on the evening of June 29 in ñrnskldsvik, Sweden while attempting to take money out of an automated teller machine. The Jets defenceman had been out for dinner with friends and his sister that evening when witnesses say they saw him attacked and left unconscious. He was rushed to the hospital and needed stitches above his right eye, but was not seriously injured.
Enstrom told the court in ñrnskldsvik on Thursday that he did not recognize the accused and could not prove he had actually lost any money.
from Tim Campbell of the Winnipeg Free Press,
As they opened their 8,000-place waiting list Friday -- about 1,400 spaces were available when the process began -- the Jets announced that in the future, it will be a perk for waiting-list customers only to buy tickets through the exchange website.
"Our goal was to give back to these people on our paid waiting list, many people who have been with us two or three years now," Jets director of ticket administration Mitch Brennan said Friday. "Those people have been very loyal to us for a few years and in listening to what many of those customers said they wanted, it's a perk we wanted to give back to them."
The initial fee is a non-refundable $50 per seat to join the waiting list, then every subsequent summer, it's $100 to stay on the list, with that annual fee applied to any eventual season-ticket purchase.
Previously, those waiting-list customers received discounts on merchandise, access to MTS Centre event ticket offers, an invitation to the exclusive Winnipeg Jets wait-list open practice and access to some box-office last-minute ticket availability.
By now restricting the official ticket-exchange website to waiting-list customers, the team many be sending potential ticket buyers to other unauthorized resellers, websites or even scalpers.
The move won't be popular with some past regular customers who acquired tickets through the official exchange site.
"I’m just real happy that Winnipeg believed in me and gave me another chance to prove myself… I didn’t exactly have the best start to my career in Atlanta and obviously moving up to Winnipeg gave me a new chance to play in a hockey market and play in a hockey town. That’s where the term came in, it was definitely a no-brainer for me to want to stay there for a long time."
-Zach Bogosian of the Winnipeg Jets after signing a seven-year contract yesterday.. More from Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press.
via the Winnipeg Jets,
The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms with forward Bryan Little on a new five-year contract worth $23.5 million.
Little, 25, played in 48 games with the Winnipeg Jets during the 2012-13 season. In that time, the right-handed centre recorded 32 points (7G, 25A) and four penalty minutes. He sat second on the club’s leaderboard in assists and fourth among his team in scoring. The Edmonton, AB native has played in 404 career NHL games between Atlanta and Winnipeg for 227 career points (99G, 128A) and 125 penalty minutes.
from Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe,
Anybody with spare coffee beans, please ship to MTS Centre, c/o Kevin Cheveldayoff. The Winnipeg GM might be the busiest executive in the business this summer as the Jets enter their third season of post-Thrasherdom.
Cheveldayoff will have to figure out what to do with five significant restricted free agents: ex-Bruin Blake Wheeler, Bryan Little, Zach Bogosian, Paul Postma, and Eric Tangradi. All filed for arbitration on Wednesday. It is the highest number from one team in the NHL.
This is the third time Wheeler has filed for arbitration. The first was with the Bruins, when he was awarded a one-year, $2.2 million contract. Wheeler and the Jets agreed on a two-year, $5.1 million extension prior to his second hearing.
Wheeler and Little, his center, will score big raises via arbitration or negotiation. Wheeler scored 19 goals and had 22 assists last season. Little scored seven goals and had 25 assists. Little is coming off a three-year, $7.15 million contract.
Bogosian is also due a bump. He trailed only Dustin Byfuglien in average ice time on the team last season. The 22-year-old, picked third overall behind Steven Stamkos and Drew Doughty in 2008, projects to be a first-pairing defenseman.
The Jets have space to accommodate all their RFAs. They will not be cheap. Cheveldayoff may have no choice but to open up the checkbook. The Jets must build from within or via trade. Players do not have Winnipeg atop their preferred destinations because of the weather and yet-to-develop winning culture. If they’re competing against teams in more temperate locations, the Jets must pay a premium, which is unwise from a cap perspective.
more plus other NHL topics...
via the Jets' website,
Kevin Cheveldayoff, General Manager of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club, has issued the following statement today in regards to the signing of Alexander Burmistrov by Ak Bars Kazan of the KHL:
“Through our conversations and correspondence with Alex and his agent, it became apparent Alex had a desire to continue his development as a young player in the KHL. He remains a very talented player within the Jets organization and we will continue to monitor his progress and development going forward.”
Details to follow...
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org