Kukla's Korner Hockey
from Larry Brooks of the NY Post,
The Islanders won’t be caught short again.
Ensuring stability in nets regardless of the state of Rick DiPetro’s health, the Islanders have signed free agent goaltender Martin Biron to a one-year, $1.4 million steal of a deal, The Post has learned.
The New York Islanders today announced that they have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with goaltender, Martin Biron.
“Adding Marty gives us three bona-fide number one goalies,” said Garth Snow, General Manager, New York Islanders. “We learned about the importance of stability in our line-up from last year and he now allows us to have another quality starter.”
from Greg Logan of On the Islanders Beat at Newsday,
Islanders president Chris Dey last week told radio announcers Chris King and Steve Mears their contracts will not be renewed for the coming season. Madison Square Garden Network made television announcers Howie Rose and Billy Jaffe available for a radio simulcast, so Dey chose to cut payroll by letting King and Mears go.
King, 48, has been part of every Islanders radio broadcast for the past 15 years, including the last 11 years on a full-time basis as analyst and color commentator. Mears, 29, has handled the radio play-by-play duties for the past three seasons.
Although Rose and Jaffe are a superb television team, their style is tailored to that medium, describing instant replays, diagramming plays and conversing about the game. A radio broadcast is more detailed and more wordy in terms of play-by-play description, while the TV crew relies more heavily on the pictures to tell the story.
The Islanders signed John Tavares to a three-year entry level contract on Wednesday. Tavares was selected by the Islanders first overall in the 2009 National Hockey League Draft.
“It’s an exciting time for the Islanders organization as we develop our young talent into a contender,” said Islanders General Manager Garth Snow. “John provides another important piece to help us achieve our ultimate goal of winning a Stanley Cup.”
from Greg Logan of On the Islanders Beat,
Alex Tanguay is pretty much the last big-name forward with scoring ability left on the free-agent shelves. Speedy Maxim Afinogenov is available, but after his past down season in Buffalo, there’s no market. Veteran defenseman Dennis Seidenberg has resumed negotiations with Carolina, his previous team, and physical winger Travis Moen recently received $4.5 million over three years from Montreal.
In other words, free agency for the Islanders pretty much began and ended with the signing of goaltender Dwayne Roloson to serve as the backup for rehabbing Rick DiPietro or as fulltime starter until DiPietro’s return. There’s not going to be any scoring help added from the outside by all indications nor any size on defense.
Islanders general manager Garth Snow is believed to still be shopping for help in the enforcement department.
from Dan Martin of the NY Post,
John Tavares said all the right things yesterday.
When asked if he could do for the Islanders what Sidney Crosby did for the Penguins, the Islanders’ recent first-overall pick said: “I want to be part of the team. It’s not just about me.”
He’s got a point, but the fact is, the Islanders got more than 10,000 fans to show up at the Nassau Coliseum to watch him get drafted—on TV—and had several hundred more come yesterday to his introductory press conference.
Tavares, who turns 19 in September, will skate for the first time with his new team tomorrow during minicamp and will be the focal point from the first game of the season on.
“We’ve got guys around him who will help him,” general manager Garth Snow said. “Whether it’s on the ice or off the ice.”
From On the Islanders’ Beat at Newsday:
The Islanders have reached agreement with Edmonton’s Dwayne Roloson on a two-year deal believed to be worth $5 million. Signing a veteran starting goaltender solves their top priority, which was to have a 1A-caliber backup for starter Rick DiPietro in the event his injury problems continue.
Update 2:36pm ET: Darren Dreger’s Twitter—
Roloson tells TSN he wanted a 2 year deal and the Isles were quick to offer. Oilers wouldnt offer a 2nd year..
1st Overall Pick John Tavares throws out the first pitch at the Yankees/Mets game on Sunday at Citi Field.
Stan Fischler caught up with No. 1 pick overall John Tavares, No. 12 pick overall Calvin de Haan, Isles Owner Charles Wang and Isles GM Garth Snow on a busy Draft night for the Islanders.
I’ve posted the Tavares interview below & watch the other interviews here.
from Greg Logan of On the Islanders Beat,
With only two days remaining before the Islanders make the first pick of the NHL draft in Montreal, excitement for the draft party planned by the club Friday night at the Coliseum is building as free ticket requests have climbed past 22,000. Team president Chris Dey said that’s a great indication of the vitality of Long Island as a hockey market, but there’s no mandate from the business side to general manager Garth Snow to draft fan favorite John Tavares ahead of Matt Duchene or Victor Hedman.
While the Islanders’ marketing department has worked hard to hype the draft party, Dey said, “It’s not like we put anybody’s name on it. We did what we normally do. We came up with a good idea to ticket the party. If we did it the way we normally do, which is just open the doors, we wouldn’t have had any idea what to expect.
“Fortunately for us, from a planning perspective, we decided to ticket it. Now, we know. It’s exciting. When you work hard every day, you hope you can get this kind of excitement and momentum behind what you’re doing. It’s a great time for us.”
from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN,
The New York Islanders know who they’ll take with the first overall pick in the 2009 NHL draft. But the rest of the world won’t find out until GM Garth Snow steps up to the podium Friday night in Montreal.
“That’s right,” Snow told ESPN.com on Monday.
Let’s give the Islanders credit. They’ve actually created some intrigue with their refusal to let us know their intentions. Most years, we head to the draft and it’s clear who’s going to go first. This is refreshing. We’re actually going to have to pay attention Friday night!
“Whether it’s fans or people in the media, it’s been a great topic for debate,” said Snow.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com