Kukla's Korner Hockey
from JR Lind of the Nashvillle Post,
Predators forward Mike Ribeiro and his wife have settled out-of-court with a former nanny who made graphic sexual assault claims against the 35-year-old center, some of which allegedly occurred when she was a teenager.
The court-appointed mediator filed a report with the court late Wednesday afternoon saying that an eight-hour mediation July 6 resulted in a settlement of the suit.
The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
"This civil matter has been amicably resolved without incurring further time-consuming and potentially costly litigation," Ribeiro's attorney, Brian Lauten of Dallas' Deans & Lyon, said in a statement to NashvillePost.com.
from David Ammenheuser of The Tennessean,
An open letter to Nashville Predators CEO Jeff Cogen and team President Sean Henry:...
The Jan. 30-31 All-Star weekend is your opportunity for the NHL and the Predators to grow that fan base.
In my 30-plus years as a journalist, I've attended several major professional sports' all-star events. Some were terrific (Cincinnati, this week, was the latest); some were lousy.
I missed an opportunity earlier this year and did not get to Columbus for the Blue Jackets' NHL All-Star Weekend. I got mixed reviews from some fans who attended. One suggestion I heard from the fans: Don't try to duplicate Columbus' 175-foot snow slide. After the first day, I heard it was more brown than it was white. Ugh.
You have a unique opportunity. Many NHL cities have waited more than 30 years to host an all-star event. Some franchises have never been awarded the game.
As you know, not every hockey fan will have an opportunity to buy a ticket to the NHL Skills Competition on Jan. 30 or the All-Star Game on Jan. 31.
The key for you, the NHL and the local organizing committee is to have more public events than you think are necessary. Take a look at your latest list. Then add 10 more.
from Adam Vignan of The Tennesseaon,
The Predators are making some changes within their broadcast teams.
Pete Weber, who has served as television play-by-play announcer since the team's inception, will transition to the same role on the radio.
He will switch places with Willy Daunic, who joined the radio broadcast team on a full-time basis last season. Daunic will be joined on television broadcasts by color analyst and former Predators forward Stu Grimson.
more on the changes from the Nashville Predators
from Robby Stanley at NHL.com,
Forward Jimmy Vesey feels that earning a degree from Harvard University will provide him with plenty of future opportunities outside of hockey, even though it pushed back his chance to make the Nashville Predators.
When the Predators selected Vesey in the third round (No. 66) in the 2012 NHL Draft, they knew he had the potential to be a dynamic offensive player. Vesey showed off that potential at Harvard during the 2014-15 season, leading the nation with 32 goals. He was a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, given to the top college player in the country.
Vesey, a junior, could have turned pro and signed with the Predators in March, after the Crimson's season ended. Instead, he chose to return for his senior season.
Earning his degree from Harvard is important to Vesey.
"It was a really tough decision for me," Vesey said this week at Nashville's development camp. "I sat down with my family and we kind of weighed our options. At the end of the day, I just wanted to make sure I got that degree from Harvard because hockey is not going to last forever and that's something good to fall back on. I'm going to wait one more year and finish my college season and hopefully sign after the year."
Although the Predators felt Vesey, a government major at Harvard, was good enough to turn pro, he said they were supportive of his decision to return to school.
"It was a rough year all the way around, on the ice, off the ice, everything could go wrong went wrong. It was a disaster of a season by all accounts...."
-Cody Hodgson on his past season in Buffalo. More from Hodgson on his new team, the Nashville Predators by David Ammenheuser of the Tennessean.
from Adam Vingan of The Tennessean,
"We now have the depth that we need," Poile said.
Jackman's veteran presence, which cost $4 million over two years, will balance what many believe is the NHL's strongest defense, led by do-it-all tandem Shea Weber and Roman Josi. Behind them stands Pekka Rinne, who reestablished himself last season as one of the NHL's elite goaltenders.
Nashville's top-six forward group will be anchored by centers Ribeiro and Mike Fisher, "two 35-year-old centers that we've eventually got to replace, whether that's in two years (or) three years," according to Poile.
In the mean time, they should be joined by Filip Forsberg, James Neal, Colin Wilson and Craig Smith, all of whom scored at least 20 goals last season. The last two remain unsigned as restricted free agents, but the expectation is that both will return on longer-term contracts.
Coincidentally, the Predators offered Hodgson the same one-year, $1.05 million contract that they gave Ribeiro last July after the Coyotes bought out his contract. The hope is that it will have the same effect on Hodgson, a former 20-goal scorer who will likely start as Nashville's third-line center, as it did on Ribeiro.
Rookies Steve Moses, whose 36 goals set a single-season KHL record, and Kevin Fiala are also intriguing options for coach Peter Laviolette to consider.
added 12:07 PM:
added 9:30am, Press release is below...
I tweeted on this topic a few hours ago but felt it was necessary to include it in KK too...
from Adam Vingan of The Tennessean,
Details in the sexual assault civil lawsuit against Predators center Mike Ribeiro emerged Friday.
Documents filed Thursday in U.S. District Court and originally obtained by the On The Forecheck blogdescribe interactions between Ribeiro and his former nanny involving alleged unwanted advances that occurred in 2012.
Ribeiro signed a one-year, $1.05 million contract with Nashville last summer after having his four-year contract bought out by the Coyotes.
Ribeiro made Predators general manager David Poile aware of the allegations prior to being signed, according to agent Don Meehan. In the news release written by the Predators to announce the signing, Poile said that the team had "done our due diligence."
"Mike and (wife) Tamara Ribeiro deny these allegations and will confront their accuser in a court of law," Ribeiro's lawyer, Brian Lauten, said in a statement to The Tennessean on Friday. "In the meantime, heeding my advice, they will not be making any further comments. Mike is dedicated to being the best hockey player he can be and attempting to try this case outside the courtroom does a disservice to all parties."
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com