Kukla's Korner Hockey
From Greg Logan at Newsday,
The organization has decided to send goaltender Rick DiPietro for an MRI examination Tuesday of the hip injury he suffered in the All-Star Game skills competition on Jan. 26.
Islanders coach Ted Nolan acknowledged DiPietro’s absence from the lineup at the morning skate Tuesday and said results of the MRI will be evaluated Wednesday.
“He’s been having it for a while,” Nolan said of DiPietro’s hip injury. “It’s the same as our team. We have nine guys out of the lineup, and we have two guys that probably shouldn’t be playing (Tuesday night). It’s one of those things where the injury bug hit us, and unfortunately, it hit Ricky.”
Update 11:11pm ET: From TSN—
It looks as though Rick DiPietro’s season is over.
Sources tell TSN the New York Islander goaltender has a right hip problem that is going to require surgery. The decision was made after DiPietro underwent an MRI today. It’s expected the surgery could be performed as early as Wednesday.
Update 11:54pm ET: Greg Logan at Newsday—
For the second time in two seasons, Islanders franchise goaltender Rick DiPietro will have season-ending hip surgery. The operation will take place Wednesday at Steadman Clinic in Vail, Colo., an NHL source said, and DiPietro is expected to recover in time for training camp in September.
From Dan Steinberg in the DC Sportsblog, mention of a press release:
Hair Cuttery, the largest privately-owned chain of hair salons in the country, announced today that it has signed NHL Washington Capitals’ hockey star Alex Ovechkin to a 6-month partnership agreement commencing in October.
Ovechkin proves that even if you’re a multimillionaire, you can still appreciate a good haircut at a great price. After signing a 13 year, $124M contract - the richest in NHL history - the 22-year-old Washington Capitals’ left wing is still a regular client at the Ballston Common Hair Cuttery in Arlington, Virginia.
$14 haircuts. Interesting, this odd world of hockey endorsements. (And it seems like it would’ve been a decent gig for Jose Theodore, too.)
*hat-tip to Rick Couchman at Hockey.com for the link
From Pierre LeBrun at CP,
Along with the NHL-leading Detroit Red Wings, we argue the three Pacific Division contenders make up the best four teams in the NHL. And one will almost surely be out in the first round. Hence the urgency of the six total games involving the Sharks, Ducks and Stars.
“Those games against Dallas and San Jose are critical,” said Carlyle.
If you think you’ve seen this movie before, it’s because you have. The same three clubs also came down to the wire last season and finished three points apart, the Ducks winning the division with 110 points followed by San Jose (107) and Dallas (107).
Update 4:58pm ET: Link fixed, changed to the original CP report via Google. Sorry ‘bout the botched one earlier.
From Dave Stubbs in The Gazette, it seems that Carey Price has some sharp new goalie gear…
And if you think he’s excited, wait until the minor-, garage-league and semi-pro goalies of the world get wind of it.
On goalie-populated Internet forums and bulletin boards, where all things netminding are rumoured, discussed and debated, Price’s new gear isn’t likely to cause a ripple of interest, but a tsunami.
The graphic scheme is expected to be available at retail stores sometime this summer, at roughly $1,700 for the pads and $500 and $325, respectively, for the trapper and blocker.
The interest among goalies in what’s worn by the top pros, says Achenbach, “is goofy, crazy ... Star Wars hype times 10.”
From John Vogl at The Buffalo News,
Teppo Numminen made a rare appearance at HSBC Arena today, fueling speculation the defenseman could return to the Buffalo Sabres before the season ends.
The 39-year-old Numminen had stayed away from the arena since having a bursa sac procedure on his ankle early last month. He arrived at the rink with his equipment and was scheduled to skate this afternoon.
“I hadn’t seen him at the rink for quite some time,” coach Lindy Ruff said. “He had the procedure on his ankle, and that looks a lot better.”
*Also, more on the Sabres with a look at three up and coming college prospects
Update 2:42pm ET: More on Numminen’s health and history from the AP via the Globe& Mail
From Tim Wharnsby at the Globe & Mail,
Along the hallway to the New York Islanders dressing room, there are nine plaques commemorating key people from the franchise’s Stanley Cup seasons. From left to right, the wall of fame reads: Bill Torrey, Al Arbour, Denis Potvin, Mike Bossy, Billy Smith, Bob Nystrom, Clark Gillies, Bryan Trottier and Bob Bourne — and this morning Jason Blake.
Somebody placed a 10th tribute this morning, a picture of Blake , the former Islander and current Toronto Maple Leafs forward. Under the picture, it read “40-goal scorer.”
“Yeah, I have my sources as to who did it, but I’m not going to say,” said Blake…
From Tarik El-Bashir at the Washington Post,
Trading for “Huet was the easiest decision because he played really well for a few years,” McPhee said. “It’s worked out the way we had hoped. He’s playing well and Olie is better rested and playing really well, too.
“We couldn’t be more impressed with how [Fedorov has] handled this situation,” he added. “How great he’s been with our young players, and how well he’s played. And Cooke is playing better than he played in Vancouver.”
more… *requires registration (free)
Glen Metropolit has scored over 100 points in six seasons in the National Hockey League but no amount of success will erase the memories of the gangs, pimps and crackheads of his youth.
Raised in poverty by a single mother and shuffled in and out of foster homes, hockey became an escape for Metropolit and a way out of one of Canada’s most violent and drug-ridden inner city slums.
From Chris Zelkovich at the Toronto Star,
The National Hockey League says it has no concerns that team broadcasters might be hiding incriminating video evidence. But Mike Murphy, the league’s senior vice-president of hockey operations, says the NHL is looking at ways of ensuring such a thing doesn’t happen.
The issue of accountability was raised following a game in Anaheim last Wednesday that saw Ducks defenceman Chris Pronger stomp on Vancouver Canucks forward Ryan Kesler’s leg. The original game broadcasts from Vancouver and Anaheim, watched in the NHL’s Toronto war room, failed to produce proof of the attack.
But Vancouver broadcasters discovered video proof the next day on a tape machine in the production unit used by Anaheim television.
From Erik Erlendsson at the Tampa Tribune,
Roy, however, remains on thin ice following a blow-up during the third period of a game at Philadelphia on March 6 that led to a 10-day exile from the team. He returned to practice Monday at the Ice Sports Forum - word is his teammates stepped up to defend Roy - but whether he gets into any of the remaining 10 games or how the situation affects his possible return next season remains unclear.
“Don’t ask me any questions about Andre,” said Lightning coach John Tortorella, refusing to address the subject.
Roy didn’t want to talk about the team’s actions Monday, but he did discuss the actions that led to his banishment.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org