Kukla's Korner Hockey
from Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch,
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson might be staring down the fairway on the first tee as you read this.
On Thursday, the day after the Blue Jackets re-signed defenseman Marc Methot to a two-year contract, Howson declared the club’s offseason action pretty much finished.
Howson would like to add an offensive defenseman to the mostly stay-at-home blue line, but, like lots of clubs around the league these days, the Blue Jackets are showing restraint….
Despite the obvious connection to coach Ken Hitchcock, the Jackets have not had talks with free-agent defenseman Sergei Zubov.
more on the Blue Jackets…
from Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe,
This summer, not a single offer sheet has been extended. With the salary cap expected to decrease prior to the 2010-11 season, it’s hard to imagine any offer sheets next summer either.
“I don’t know if it’s a thing of the past,’’ said Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli, who could still see Phil Kessel accept an offer sheet. “But teams are very cautious now because of the uncertain cap situation and the economy. The offer sheet is an inherently inflationary tool. It doesn’t jive right now with the cautious approaches that we’re taking.’’
The very nature of extending an offer sheet to a restricted free agent is for one club to pay a premium and make the resulting salary so steep that the original team can’t afford to match. Two summers ago, when the current financial crisis and corresponding cap crunch had yet to strike, the Ducks determined that a $4.5 million annual salary to Penner (more per year than Dallas captain Brenden Morrow, in comparison), a developing power forward, was too rich for their books. Anaheim let Penner walk, Burke took his shots, and the Ducks claimed first-, second-, and third-round picks from Edmonton in the 2008 draft as compensation.
more plus other NHL notes…
from Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, T
he legendary Scotty Bowman? “He was the captain of the first team I played for,” long-time Penguins official Eddie Johnston was saying the other day in his Upper St. Clair home. “The Montreal Royals of the Quebec Junior League. I was 16 or 17. He terrorized me.”
The great Bobby Orr? “Best man at my wedding and godfather to one of my kids,” Johnston said.
The one and only Mario Lemieux? “He’s been good to me and my family. I’ve been so blessed,” Johnston said, eyes tearing up just a bit.
Are you thinking what I’m thinking?
That everybody should be so lucky to retire after a career touched by such greatness?
Johnston, 73, gave up his title as senior advisor to Penguins general manager Ray Shero after the team won the Stanley Cup last month.
from Larry Brooks of the NY Post,
Don’t the Oilers get it? Their city is the last place in North America (other than presumably Ottawa and perhaps Atlanta) that Heatley wants to live, and their team is the last one in the NHL (insert a disclaimer or two) for which he wants to play.
Enough already with the bribery and the convincing. The team and the city look more than desperate. They are beginning to appear pathetic with their continued pursuit of the player who for good reason has become hockey’s most disdained individual.
We know. The Oilers have to overpay in order to entice players of Heatley’s on-ice pedigree to come to their city, and that’s the reason why Nik Khabibulin was able to get an over-35 contract worth $15 million over four years on July 1.
Still, after repeated attempts to appeal to Heatley (and his sense of . . . sense of what, exactly, reality?), Kevin Lowe, now the club president, should stop debasing himself; Steve Tambellini, the GM, should count himself better off for the repeated rejections; Pat Quinn and Tom Renney, the coaches, should consider themselves fortunate not to have someone in their locker room who first thing will search for the emergency exit.
more plus additional NHL topics…
from Tony Lofaro and Brendan Kennedy of the Ottawa Citizen,
Jennifer Snell pulled up in a vintage 1957 Rolls Royce Saturday at Notre Dame Basilica as her husband-to-be, Ottawa Senators centre Jason Spezza, and hundreds of guests waited inside.
But when told by the wedding planner that some of the wedding guests were still entering the church, the Rolls driver took Snell for a ride around the block, returning a few minutes later.
Then, Snell was accompanied inside the church by her father, Douglas.
The 45-minute ceremony was closed to the media and public, but many of Spezza’s teammates, including Chris Neil, Chris Phillips, and Anton Volchenkov, were there. Senators owner Eugene Melynk was also on hand, as was hockey legend Bobby Orr, and Catherine Clark…
Missing from the ceremony were teammates Daniel Alfredsson, Mike Fisher and Senators general manager Bryan Murray. And, for the record, Dany Heatley was a no-show.
read on (pics too) & thanks to a KK reader for the pointer…
from David Pollak of Working the Corners at the Mercury News,
What I do have is a look at the front-office depth chart this month that listed the top four lines and three defense pairings going into training camp. I didn’t see the official board with my own eyes, but here’s how it was relayed to me by someone who has. Let’s just say I threw together my best guess at the right combinations and someone corrected my version.
Again, nothing is carved in granite, but it’s a starting point….
more on the Sharks…
“The idea to organize such camp was born several years ago. I remember those times when I was small and wanted real ice hockey stars to teach me some skills. We gave the information about the camp, so those children who wanted to take part came here. Of course, the parents of these kids had to pay some part of the expenses, but we paid the bulk ourselves.”
-Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings. More on the camp from George Malik at Snapshots. George even found a video of the camp.
via Stephanie Myles of the Montreal Gazette,
At this point, there are no offers.
“I’m not waiting,” Brisebois said. “I don’t absolutely have to play hockey. It’s no longer about that. But I continue to train, and if a team says, ‘We want to give you another chance,’ I’d love to have another season.”
The last time Brisebois talked to Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey was just prior to the opening of the free-agent signing period. Nothing since then.
“It’s not that it’s over (with the Canadiens), but there’s a good chance it is,” Brisebois said. “With the recent signings, there’s not much room on defence, so you just turn the page. It’s not personal. I have so much respect for Bob, all he did for me, he brought me back here and gave me another chance.
“Hockey is business, and I think I did a good job,” he added. “The rest, it’s not me that decides.”
via Allan Walsh’s Twitter,
I can confirm we are currently in negotiations with the NYI on a contract for Miro Satan.
Exclusive video of Hal Gill’s first visit to Montreal as a Canadien and a nice gesture by Gill at the end of the video.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org