Kukla's Korner Hockey
By all indications, there has not been any agreement at this point.
from Elliotte Friedman of CBC,
There are rumours the two sides are having all sorts of trouble reaching a long-term deal, and Meehan didn't throw cold water on that theory in his radio interview. Maybe the solution is a shorter deal that gives both sides another shot at this when Subban is 29 or 30, still in prime earning years for a defenceman.
While Meehan added that Subban hasn't "instructed us to attend to" making Subban the NHL's highest-paid blue-liner (Weber's $7.8M average annual value is tops), Canadiens fans are getting increasingly nervous. That fatalism grew when Subban told The National Post he's thought about the idea of playing for his hometown Maple Leafs.
"It's far too soon to have any thoughts," of Subban leaving Montreal, Meehan said. "We have a long period of time before P.K. becomes a UFA and really our objective is to concentrate our best efforts in trying to reach a settlement with Montreal on a long-term contract."
It's interesting watching Bergevin and Subban. The GM has shown he's unafraid to make bold moves, whether the fans support him or not. So far, he's been very successful. But Subban is also fearless. He believes 100 per cent he's going to accomplish everything he wants, no matter who stands in his way.
from Ryan Dixon of Sportsnet,
Now it’s time for Montreal to forgo the gamesmanship and pay.
Because of the aforementioned tough-love approach the coaching staff has taken with Subban at times and because his last negotiation resulted in a brief holdout before a team-friendly, two-year deal was signed, there’s always a seed of doubt when assessing No. 76’s future in Montreal.
That no deal has been struck yet makes speculation easier to spread, though Habs GM Marc Bergevin could well just be doing his due diligence in trying to ink Subban for as palatable a number as possible. When push comes to shove, however, does anybody doubt the best outcome for Montreal is a maximum-term deal that locks up the young superstar?
Of course, that can’t come at any cost, but even if Subban’s demands push up to $9 million per on an eight-year pact, aren’t the financially flush Habs better off shelling out than scrounging around for a doomed plan to replace their best skater?
MONTRÉAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin, announced Wednesday the appointment of Rob Ramage as player development coach with the Club.
“We welcome Rob Ramage as part of our hockey personnel. Rob is a dedicated and competent hockey person who will contribute to our player development group. Our entire organization, and particularly our young defensemen will benefit from his experience and his knowledge”, said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin.
from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,
Canadiens center Tomas Plekanec isn’t very well-liked or well-respected within the B’s dressing room, and a national hockey audience got a taste of why when he repeatedly snapped his head back in embellishment during phantom high stick encounters against the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Finals. The blatant play-acting even spawned the hash tag #Plekanecing on twitter where fans snapped selfies in mock pain and head-snapping embellishment.
During the 2014 Phoenix House Champs for Change dinner in Halifax, Marchand was asked by AHL President Dave Andrews during a panel discussion which NHL player irritates him the most. Surely it’s a long list with an agitator like Marchand, but there wasn’t much hesitation in his answer (YouTube video).
“There are a few guys out there that really irritate,” said Marchand, who it should be noted has authored his own adventures in embellishment over the years. “Tomas Plekanec from Montreal…I hate him. I can’t stand him. No, I probably shouldn’t say that. I dislike him very much. Now somebody is going to call and get mad at me tomorrow.”
Magic Johnson's tweet is below...
from Brenda Branswell of Hockey Inside/Out,
P.K. Subban declined to talk about his contract negotiations with the Canadiens during an appearance Saturday at the RBC Canadian Open.
The Canadiens defenceman is coming off a two-year $5.75 million contract and filed for salary arbitration earlier this month. The hearing is scheduled for next Friday.
“Today is not about hockey,” said Subban, who is sponsored by RBC as are several golfers in the field at the Canadian Open. He posed for pictures with fans Saturday afternoon and made an appearance at a chipping clinic. He also received a lesson from CBS Sports golf reporter Peter Kostis in the morning.
“I’ll answer one question about the negotiation,” Subban told a media scrum at Royal Montreal Golf Club.“It’s been kept pretty quiet the whole time and it’s going to remain that way until a deal is done.”
“As of right now today I’m sitting here and trying to just enjoy the day. Just not thinking about anything,” he said.
from Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated,
Subban's talent makes him the heart of the Canadiens, but it's his swagger that makes him the team's soul. He's not just a player. He's an entertainer, a throwback to the days of Yvan Cournoyer, Guy Lafleur and Steve Shutt. Subban may be Ontario-born, but he's a Flying Frenchman through and through.
His defensive play has matured. And so has he. The unflagging team-first spirit he displayed with Team Canada in Sochi while being relegated to the press box demonstrated his commitment to winning above all else. He's still learning how to make all the right sacrifices, but the willingness is there.
All those elements combine to make him the most irreplaceable player in the organization, and that's why his next contract should reflect that. Carey Price is a terrific goalie, and after his performance in Sochi, he now ranks among the very best in the world. But there are always capable goalies to be had, and Montreal has a pretty decent heir apparent in its system in Memorial Cup-winner Zach Fucale.
There's nobody else like Subban in the pipeline. Or anywhere else in the NHL, for that matter.
This morning, Subban tweeted this,,,
MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced today that the team has agreed to terms on a four-year contract with forward Lars Eller (2014-15 to 2017-18).
“We are very pleased to have agreed upon a long term agreement with Lars Eller. He is an important part of our group of young veterans. He has a tremendous work ethic and a great attitude. He is the type of player you can rely on for his play at both ends of the rink. Lars can play big minutes against the opponents’ top players and still be an offensive threat. We are confident he will reach his full potential and become an impact player who will compete at a high level for many years to come”, said Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin.
Eller was scheduled for arbitration tomorrow.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org