Kukla's Korner Hockey
from Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette,
“Did I have any idea I’d be traded? No, no. I had no clue. I know on July 1 there’s a lot of action and I’m going into the last year of my contract. But after the playoffs I had (a postseason career-high goal and three assists in 12 games, and some industrial-strength work), I didn’t think there was any way they’d trade me.
“A few of the boys texted me,” Prust said of his now former Canadiens teammates. “Their reaction was quite the same for everybody – they were in shock. ‘What the hell?’ that was basically the reaction.”
There was more pragmatic feedback coming from Prust’s parents, Kevin and Theresa.
“Their first reaction was, ‘Oh man, now we have to stay up late to watch all your games,’ ” he said with a laugh. “They don’t miss a second of a game. People were telling them, ‘PVR it and watch it the next day,’ and they’re saying, ‘Yeah, right, like we’re going to do that.’ ”
Some observers were suggesting that Prust was on thin ice with the Canadiens the minute he ran afoul of referee Brad Watson in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinal vs. Tampa Bay.
He was thrown out of the match, then fined $5,000 for having alleged in post-game comments that Watson had insulted and sworn at him, remarks for which he later apologized.
“I can play physical, I can grind it, and I like the cycle game, but at the same time, I like to make plays and I like to score goals. When I’m at my best, I can do both. When you’re young and you come into the league, you have to kind of find your role and find what you can do. There were a lot of bumps in the road, but I think over the years, I gained a lot of maturity. I’m excited to be part of the Canadiens and I’m excited to have a fresh start and become the player I can be.”
-Zack Kassia of the Montreal Canadiens. More at the Canadiens' website.
MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Monday that the team has bought out the contract of Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau. The 32-year-old forward was under contract with the Club until the end of the 2015-16 season.
"I would like to thank Pierre-Alexandre for his time as a Montreal Canadien and wish him the best with his career. It was a difficult decision to make, but we feel it gives us more flexibility as we continue to improve our club and provide our young prospects with an opportunity to earn a spot on our roster," said general manager Marc Bergevin.
Parenteau was acquired by the Canadiens from the Colorado Avalanche on June 30, 2014 with a fifth round pick in 2015, in return for forward Daniel Brière. Parenteau recorded 22 points (8 goals, 14 assists) in 56 regular season games with the Canadiens in 2014-15.
from Dan Rosen of NHL.com,
Carey Price clearly was nervous when he delivered his first acceptance speech at the 2015 NHL Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on Wednesday.
"I was really uncomfortable," the Montreal Canadiens goalie said.
Fortunately it got easier for him as the night went along. He had a lot of practice because he had a historic night as a four-time winner.
Price took home the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player, the Vezina Trophy as the League's best goalie and the Ted Lindsay Award for the most outstanding player as voted by the players. Price also received a share of the William M. Jennings Trophy with Corey Crawford of the Chicago Blackhawks as the goalies on the teams that allowed the fewest goals in the regular season (189).
Price, 27, is the first goalie in NHL history to sweep those four awards. He also is the first goalie to win the Hart Trophy since former Montreal goalie Jose Theodore did it in 2001-02 and the first to win the Ted Lindsay Award since Dominik Hasek of the Buffalo Sabres in 1997-98.
from Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette,
A report early Monday noted that Galchenyuk had fired agent Ian Pulver, the NHL Players Association executive who is Larionov’s partner in The Wills Sports Group.
“He didn’t fire me, he fired a Hall of Famer,” Pulver said from his office in Toronto.
Larionov said the breakup came down to a matter of Galchenyuk and his family not accepting his advice.
“Ian and I were trying to help him to become a good hockey player but, more importantly, to be a good human being,” Larionov said. “I would speak to him every day; I think I spent more time talking to him than talking to my wife.”
Galchenyuk expressed unhappiness over his ice time with the Canadiens and being benched by coach Michel Therrien in some situations.
“I tried to make him understand that he has to be patient,” Larionov said. “I had to wait when I was a young player; every great player has a time when he’s going to be on the bench, but you have to learn that’s part of the game.”
MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced Monday that the team has agreed to terms on a three-year contract with forward Torrey Mitchell (2015/16 to 2017/18).
“We are very pleased to have come to terms on a multi-year agreement with Torrey Mitchell. Torrey is a versatile player who has a great deal of speed and experience. He was an excellent addition to our group of forwards last season, and offered a solid performance during the playoffs” said general manager Marc Bergevin.
Mitchell, 30, recorded 14 points (6 goals and 8 assists) in 65 regular season games with the Buffalo Sabres and the Canadiens in 2014-15, averaging 14:11 minutes of ice time per game. He scored two game-winners and was assessed 34 penalty minutes. He also played in the Canadiens’ 12 playoff games, recording five points (1 goal, 4 assists).
from Eric Engels of Sportsnet,
Montreal has $65.3 million invested in 19 players for next season and $28.7 million of that is going towards their seven defencemen: P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, Tom Gilbert, Alexei Emelin, Greg Pateryn, Petry and Beaulieu. Assuming the salary cap is set at $71 million for 2015-16, the Beaulieu signing leaves Bergevin with just $5.25 million to sign restricted free agents Brian Flynn, Alex Galchenyuk, Jarred Tinordi, Christian Thomas, Michael Bournival, and unrestricted free agent Torrey Mitchell.
That’s not enough money to go around, let alone leave a cushion for maneuverability. And considering the Canadiens have been in the NHL’s bottom third in offence over the past two seasons, it would only make sense for them to deal from their strongest position to address their weakness.
Gilbert, who’s in the final year of a contract that will pay him $2.8 million, and Emelin, who’s signed for another three seasons at $4.1 million annually are the most likely candidates to be shopped by Bergevin.
Of course, given his stated philosophy, Bergevin may prefer to have as much defensive depth as he can get. If he’d rather keep the blueline he has, the Canadiens could instead decide to move a signed forward or two off the roster.
Tomas Plekanec has one more season on his contract, which comes with a $5 million cap hit, and after a 60-point season as Montreal’s most reliable defensive forward, he’s the type of player a competitive team would offer picks and prospects to acquire.
from Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette,
The way Petry told the story in a conference call Tuesday, he was hooked shortly after he joined the Canadiens from the Edmonton Oilers in a deadline deal.
“From the day I got there, to the playoffs, the environment at the Bell Centre, the players in the locker room and the organization just being first-class. It was a real eye-opener. It all played a big part in my ultimately signing the deal,” Petry said from his home in the Detroit suburb of West Bloomfield.
Petry was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and he said that it was his intention to test the market when he signed a one-year deal with the Oilers last summer.
“There was consideration before to test the free-agent market, but I knew that Montreal was at the top of the list,” said Petry. “When they approached me and asked if I wanted to stay, it was something that I strongly considered and I’m glad things worked out the way they did. It’s nice to join the team the next six years.”
Petry said Bergevin told him that he wanted him back during the team’s exit interviews last month and that the ongoing negotiations heated up during the past week.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org