Kukla's Korner

Kukla's Korner Hockey

Category: Hockey-Equipment

The Gearhead: Easton Hockey, Part 1

By George James Malik:

I recently spoke to Easton Hockey’s Vice President, Ned Goldsmith, about Easton ‘s present and future equipment line-ups, including their composite hockey skates.  We spoke twice, and Formula PR did a stellar job of coordinating the interviews.  Mr. Goldsmith was a pleasure to speak to.

Here’s the first part of our conversation:

The Gearhead: I read the press release about the Synergy Elite stick, and there’re dozens of NHL’ers using it.  You’ve stuck with the Synergy’s gone through a few generations—the grip, the SL, and the Stealth sticks, but now you’ve gone back to the Synergy name.  How is the Synergy Elite a new generation stick, if you will, and what separates it from the original Synergy?

Ned Goldsmith: Easton invented the performance one-piece stick, we’ve driven stick innovation in the NHL, and the Synergy Elite is in fact the next step forward.  What makes the Synergy Elite unique is its weight-to-strength ratio; it’s a remarkably light stick that’s also extremely durable.  Making sticks is an art, really.  Sticks are made with aerospace technology, and while making a stick is 80% science, the other 20% is art.  It’s like cooking, to some extent—you can have the recipe, but making grandma’s pie involves a lot of touches and subtleties.  In composite stick-making, it comes down to how much pressure you apply, when you apply the pressure, how much heat you use, great ingredients—we’re one of the largest users of aerospace-quality fibre—not all composite sticks are created equal, and we’re the one of the #1 users of Kevlar as well, so the ingredients we use are the best ingredients available.

Continue Reading »

Filed in: Hockey Equipment, George James Malik, | KK Hockey | Permalink
 

All Masks

That’s right folks, 9 1/2 minutes of goalie masks- nothing more, nothing less.

Filed in: Hockey Equipment, | KK Hockey | Permalink
 

Customizing Equipment

from Kara Yorio of the Sporting News via Yahoo,

Commodore tapes the top of his stick to give him a better grip. Players also make a knob out of tape to help them know where the end of the stick is by feel and to keep the stick from flying out of their hands.
To make the sticks identical in length, Commodore makes a quick cut with a hacksaw where a current stick lines up with a new one. He then lays the longer stick on the table and saws through to make the sticks even (and perfect for his 6-4 frame).
Commodore also makes sure the bottoms of the sticks are smooth and the blade curves match. Players can curve their blades a maximum of three-quarters of an inch. Blades must be at least 2 inches wide at all points. A suspicious opponent can call for a stick measurement during a game and force a penalty if the stick is illegal.

read on

Filed in: Hockey Equipment, | KK Hockey | Permalink
 

The Goalie Pads

from Sharkspage,

A year and a half ago equipment manufacturer Eagle Hockey launched an equipment design contest, spurring an avalanche of concept pad designs from goalies around the world.
Chris Le submitted 4 designs following a similar theme. The designs were titled Eagle Head, Eagle Wings, Eagle Talons, and my personal favorite Eagle Phoenix….
After a lengthy selection process, Chris was selected as the winner and flown to the Eagle hockey factory in London, Ontario for a tour of the facilities, and to meet the staff.

read on... great story…

Filed in: Hockey Equipment, | KK Hockey | Permalink
 

« Previous       ‹ First  < 19 20 21     

About Kukla's Korner Hockey

Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.

From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.

Email Paul anytime at pk@kuklaskorner.com

 

image

image

image

 

Feed

Most Recent Blog Posts