Kukla's Korner Hockey
from Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News,
It seems crazy to think of this as a make-or-break season for Mikhail Grigorenko. After all, he’s just 20 years old and has played only 43 NHL games. But he’s coming up on the final year of his entry-level contract and decisions need to be made, both by Grigorenko and the Buffalo Sabres.
Large portions of Grigorenko’s first two seasons have been wasted. Can he build his game this year in the AHL or, perhaps in Buffalo? Or is this the last year before he looks at some money and maybe the KHL in Russia? The first step to a change this year was an attitude adjustment.
“From past experiences, I kind of realized it was probably no one’s fault but mine I didn’t stay in the NHL,” Grigorenko said prior to the team’s development camp scrimmage Tuesday night before an announced crowd of 8,725 in First Niagara Center. “If I want to play in the best league in the world, it’s just on me. No one’s going to just let me play because I was drafted first round. I just need to go out there and be the best.”
BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 12, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced that the team has signed forward Sam Reinhart to a three-year, entry level contract.
The second overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, Reinhart (6’1”, 190 lbs., 11/6/95) became the Sabres' highest draft pick since the team selected Pierre Turgeon first overall in 1987. He joins the Sabres organization after playing four years in the Western Hockey League (WHL) for the Kootenay Ice. In addition to serving as Kootenay’s captain in 2013-14, he was named the WHL 2013-14 Player of the Year and Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year.
“We are very excited to have Sam under contract,” said Sabres General Manager Tim Murray. “We look forward to watching him develop and become an important part of our organization in the future.”
I’m among thousands of friends letting him know that I’m thinking of him and wishing him a speedy recovery. Knowing him, he’ll approach cancer like a minor nuisance before returning to work. He may be back with a different voice but, mark his words, he will be back.
And we’ll be listening.
-Bucky Gleason of the Buffalo News on Rick Jeanneret. Read more from Gleason...
from Alan Pergament of the Buffalo News,
Buffalo Sabres broadcasting legend Rick Jeanneret has been diagnosed with throat cancer.
In a telephone interview Tuesday, the 71-year-old member of multiple Halls of Fame said he had a biopsy three weeks ago in Canada and was told two weeks ago that a golf ball-sized growth in his throat was malignant.
Jeanneret, who has been broadcasting Sabres games either on radio or television for 43 years, expects to have radiation treatment for six or seven weeks and possibly chemotherapy. His doctors in Hamilton, Ont., have told him that it is stage III cancer and that he has an 85 percent chance of recovery. He is meeting with them again Thursday.
“I would like to stress I have every intention of coming back,” said Jeanneret. “I have probably three months ahead of me that aren’t going to be fun. I know they aren’t going to be.”
added 7:37am, Statement from the Buffalo Sabres is below...
from John Vogl of Sabres Edge at the Buffalo News,
Murray, who introduced first-round draft pick Sam Reinhart this morning in First Niagara Center, says plenty of teams near the cap ceiling will start dumping contracts if they get their free-agent targets. That will be benefit the Sabres in their attempt to boost payroll.
Murray says he's been getting a lot of calls from representatives of unrestricted free agents, but he's not sure if the Sabres are first on the players' lists or 20th. That holds true for Steve Ott and Matt Moulson.
The Sabres' top free-agent targets will be older, character guys who can help mentor the prospects. Murray said this crop is filled with those players, but they shouldn't expect more than a one- or two-year deal because the GM doesn't want his prospects' path to the NHL blocked when they're ready to make the jump.
The Sabres appear to be readying Christian Ehrhoff's exit from Buffalo.
TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie said Sunday that the Sabres have initiated compliance buyout procedures on the German defender.
He added that the buyout has not yet become official just yet but that the team has begun the process.
Ehrhoff scored six goals and added 27 assists in 79 games with the Sabres in 2013-14.
The 31-year-old has seven years remaining on a 10-year deal he signed with the Sabres prior to the 2011-12 season worth an average annual value of $4 million.
from Rich Chere of the Star-Ledger,
Claude Lemieux thinks the Devils made a bad decision by failing to take his son, Brendan, with the 30th overall pick at the end of the first round of the NHL entry draft Friday night.
The Buffalo Sabres made the younger Lemieux the first pick of the second round Saturday morning at No. 31.
“You’ve got to respect their view and their choice,” Claude Lemieux said of the Devils. “I think they made a mistake, but it’s good for Buffalo and time will tell.”
He said Brendan was hoping to be a first-rounder.
“He was definitely disappointed. He was crushed last night,” Claude said. “It wasn’t from what I said but from all the interviews the do at the combine. Sometimes they are misleading for a lot of kids, who think, ‘This team told me they'd take me in the first round if I’m there.’ ”
added 12:38pm, Below, Watch Claude Lemieux talk about his son and being drafted by the Sabres...
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org