Kukla's Korner Hockey
Bruins have announced Thornton is done for the evening.
from Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News,
The Sabres are 0-3-1 in their last four games and haven’t been able to shake their doldrums after a 2-0 start. Miller needs to make sure one bad game doesn’t turn into two or more and what a doozy of a chance he has Thursday night.
The Eastern Conference-leading Boston Bruins (5-0-1). In TD Garden, where they are 4-0. In what’s expected to be Miller’s first start there in nearly 14½ months, since the infamous Milan Lucic bull rush over him on Nov. 12, 2011....
Miller has faced the Bruins since the Lucic incident, going 2-0 against them last February in First Niagara Center and stopping 71 of 72 shots. But Jhonas Enroth played the other two games in Boston last year.
While a renewal of hostilities with Lucic — John Scott, anyone? — might be on the minds of Sabres fans, don’t think Miller doesn’t have even more ammunition against the Bruins now, too. Remember, he reportedly had a heated exchange with Boston owner and Board of Governors Chairman Jeremy Jacobs during negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA last month in New York.
via John Vogl of the Buffalo News,
Sabres right wing Patrick Kaleta didn’t get to see the wild ending. He was taken to the hospital for precautionary tests after suffering a neck injury in the first period.
Kaleta made a pass along the boards and turned his back as Mike Brown barreled in. The Toronto forward followed through his hit and was assessed a boarding penalty.
“I thought he was sideways,” Ruff said. “Some of the obligation is on the player. I didn’t think he was defenseless. It’s a tough area.
“It’s not a blatant run of a guy from behind. He’s had the neck issues in the past. ... We want to make sure that there’s nothing there.”
Watch the hit below, starting at the :55 second mark...
BUFFALO, N.Y. (January 30, 2013) --- Buffalo Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta spent last night in the hospital and was released earlier today. Currently he’s at home and will not be traveling to Boston for the team’s game against the Bruins tomorrow night.
Two versions of the fight, first the Leafs broadcast followed by the Sabres broadcast below...
Is this goaltender interference? No penalty was called, just interference and the goal called off. Sabres also won, 5-2.
via John Vogl of Sabres Edge at the Buffalo News,
“We empathize with the frustrations that small business owners and fans alike from the Buffalo area have in regards to the NHL Lockout,” Sabres President Ted Black said in a Buffalo News story about the economic impact of the work stoppage. "We understand that many businesses have been negatively impacted by the ongoing labor dispute."
The use of empathize rather than sympathize is interesting. The Sabres obviously can empathize in terms of finances (though to a wildy different degree than a small business). To admit to feeling the frustration of fans is very telling -- especially since lockout comments by league personnel are essentially prohibited.
The rest of Black's statement reads: "We are very disappointed the NHL and NHLPA have not been able to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement. We continue to have full confidence the NHL will negotiate a fair agreement on our behalf and on behalf of all the other NHL Clubs.”
Ryan Miller exchanged texts and emails with the Buffalo News yesterday...
from John Vogl of the Buffalo News,
“By limiting years of a contract and variance in the level of salary year to year, the player hurt is any player temporarily caught in between what will become a two-tier salary structure,” Miller wrote. “It is true a vast majority of players will never use the right to sign for up to five years. That is not even close to a point in this argument. It is about what money is available to the biggest group in the sport and maintaining NHL hockey as a long-term career option.
“A lot has been said about the stars being greedy. But this is an issue that directly affects my brother [Detroit third-line forward Drew Miller], and I am absolutely thinking about players like him and the good of the game. ... It makes average player careers shorter, so why as a group of players would we accept to accelerate that or create a lever to accelerate that in an agreement that would last 10 years? We don’t want to do it.”
So for as far as the sides have come since September – they have settled on nine pages worth of issues – they have a long way to go and not a lot of time to get there.
from John Vogl of Sabres Edge at the Buffalo News.
Ryan Miller hopes he gets a chance to talk to six NHL owners Tuesday. It might give him a better idea of how the lockout will finally end.
“I can't make sense of what the owners truly need because they want everything,” the Buffalo Sabres’ goaltender wrote today during an exchange of text messages. “That is why it seems like the finish line is moving.”
Miller is among a large group of players who will gather Tuesday in New York City when negotiations between the league and the NHL Players’ Association resume. In a new dynamic, six owners and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly will meet with six players and union special counsel Steve Fehr. The leaders of the respective sides, Commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr, will not take part.
“I don't entirely agree with leaving the heads of negotiation out of this because they are paid to make a deal,” Miller wrote. “But if it gets more owners involved then so be it.”
“After watching the other sport leagues go through labour disputes last year, it is apparent that until decertification is filed, there will not be any real movement or negotiation. Many things in our negotiation are very consistent with the NFL and NBA negotiations, and both of those leagues filed papers necessary to decertify.
“It seems like the players in any league are going to be subjected to the same scripted labour dispute developed by [NHL and NBA law firm] Proskauer Rose in all collective bargaining discussions now and in the future. Decertification becomes part of the script because Gary Bettman and the owners are trying to get a sense of how far they can push us and at some point we have to say ‘enough.’
-Ryan Miller in a email sent to the Globe and Mail. James Mirtle has more on this topic.
from Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun,
Ray isn't blaming the owners or the players. He believes both sides have to share responsibility for not being able to get a deal in place to avoid this mess, but he did note that commissioner Gary Bettman has a track record.
"I could sit and say Bettman is a jerk but he's done a decent job growing the game and with TV packages," said Ray, a colour analyst on Sabres' broadcasts on MSG. "You have to give him credit for that. But, when it comes to this stuff, it becomes all about him. In that way, he is making a bit of a fool of himself.
"He could be the hero with the game growing, the revenues the way they are and people in the buildings. I think he's a bit of gambler thinking that everybody is going to come back. I just think he's risking too much."
When -- and if -- the NHL does return this season, the fans will likely return in all seven Canadian cities, plus hockey markets in the United States like Buffalo, Boston, Minnesota and Chicago. It won't be the case everywhere.
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at email@example.com