Kukla's Korner Hockey
from Steve Buckley of the Boston Herald,
To understand how long Mark Recchi has been in the NHL, consider this: He is one of the fast-dwindling cast of veterans who actually played in the old Boston Garden.
Does that bring it home for you?
So when the new Bruin stood in front of his locker last night, talking about the team’s lackluster 2-1 loss to the Phoenix Coyotes, he had no problem using the word “we,” as in: “I’m just a small piece of the puzzle . . . We have to go out and play with energy and play the right way . . . if we do that, things will eventually happen for our team.”
According to TSN and others, Mark Recchi of Tampa Bay has been traded to the Boston Bruins.
Details to follow.
Update 1:29pm ET: From TSN—
For the fifth time in his career, the veteran has been traded late in a season, this time the Tampa Bay Lightning dealing him to Boston.
Recchi, 41, signed a one-year, $1.25 million deal with Tampa Bay prior to this season.
Bob McKenzie on TSN states that Boston Bruins have made a trade sending out Petteri Nokelainen to the Anaheim Ducks for Steve Montador.
added 12:56pm, TSN Link available.
Gary Dzen at the Bruins Blog posted the video below today:
With the trade deadline on Wednesday, Bob Ryan and Kevin Dupont debate whether or not the Bruins need to make a trade.
The New England Sports Network and the Boston Herald both reported that the Eastern Conference leading Bruins have offered their first- and third-round picks in the upcoming NHL entry draft, as well top prospect Joe Colborne.
Burke told TSN that there has been no such offer.
“It’s not true, a total fabrication,” Burke told TSN. “I sat with (Boston GM) Peter Chiarelli for the first period of Saturday’s game in Boston and we never discussed Tomas Kaberle. We hadn’t spoken about Kaberle before that and we most certainly haven’t since then. There is no truth to it at all. None.”
from Larry Brooks of the NY Post,
No GM is under more pressure confronting Wednesday’s trade deadline than Boston’s Peter Chiarelli, who must properly calculate the risk/reward ratio of potentially jeopardizing the chemistry of his conference-leading Bruins by acquiring difference-maker Chris Pronger at the cost of a package that would surely feature Phil Kessel.
The temptation to unite Pronger ($6.5M per through next season) with Zdeno Chara on what is now a somewhat suspect defense must be overwhelming. One or the other would be on the ice essentially all game, every game. They could form a last-minute shutdown pair….
Blair Betts, a pending unrestricted free agent whose role will apparently change dramatically under the new regime and who has value to a contender as a dependable checker and penalty-killer, is likely available. Detroit is believed to have interest.
more trade and hockey topics…
from Helene Elliott of the LA Times,
Most are the product of fertile imaginations and throwing mud at the wall, but some have a nugget of logic behind them.
Here’s one we’ve heard and believe:
The Ducks will send defenseman Chris Pronger and left wing Travis Moen to the Boston Bruins for defenseman Mark Stuart, 6-foot-5 center Joe Colborne (currently at Denver University) and a first-round draft pick.
Why this makes sense:
Alexander scored the OT goal today to secure a 4-3 Caps victory over the Bruins.
I am sure Tim Thomas would like that goal back.
from Stephen Harris of the Boston Herald,
If you believe what you hear from various NHL sources, you can bet the Bruins [team stats] had many sets of eyes trained last night on Anaheim Ducks defenseman Chris Pronger….
Last night, Pronger played 25:42 and, as usual, was a classy all-round blueliner: Graceful and poised, using his long reach to good effect, moving the puck well, jumping up with the attack from time to time….
“The chatter is increasing,” said B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli, “but I’m not getting any closer to doing anything. I don’t want to subtract anything from our team. I like our team and I like the chemistry.”
Notice he said he doesn’t want to subtract players. He didn’t say he wouldn’t do it. Chiarelli is understandably loath to part with a young talent like Kessel, a 21-year-old with the potential to be a 50-goal superstar.
from Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe,
Lucic, in perhaps his angriest bout as a pro, took a right hand to the left side of his jaw at the start of his scrap with Brown at 14:49 of the second period. It initially appeared that Lucic would fight Sheldon Brookbank, but Brown stepped in for a surprise swipe at the hulking second-year left winger.
“We were asking on the bench what happened, what initiated that,” said Julien. “But from what I heard, they got a cheap shot to start off, and I guess that’s what set [Lucic off].”
Breaking the game’s supposed code (fine print available nowhere), Lucic continued to punch after Brown went to the ice. No telling if his anger was based on Brown landing his punch before Lucic could get his gloves off, or whether Lucic was simply incensed by the pain inflicted by the punch. We’ll know more today.
more on the fight-filled night as Boston beat Anaheim 6-0. Watch the Lucic/Brown scrap below…
About Kukla's Korner Hockey
Paul Kukla founded Kukla’s Korner in 2005 and the site has since become the must-read site on the ‘net for all the latest happenings around the NHL.
From breaking news to in-depth stories around the league, KK Hockey is updated with fresh stories all day long and will bring you the latest news as quickly as possible.
Email Paul anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org